Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Season Thread 2013-2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Ah Melo…….:rolleyes:

62 in a blow out. Whilst part of me is impressed when anyone goes over 50 in an NBA game, I always look at the overall score first to see if indeed it was a blowout. There's a big difference scoring 62 in a blow out say than averaging 40+ in the Finals a la Jordan. Blowout games are a joke, basically pick up games that suit a 1v1 player. Interesting to note it was the Bobcats too - Deron Willimas went for 57 again them a couple of years ago. Hmmmmmm…….

Melo strikes me as the kind of player that would rather score 50 and lose than score 10 and his team win. Maybe I'm being unkind and unfair but it's the impression I've always gotten from the guy and the reason I don't think all but the most biased Knicks fans will never rate him as one of the All-time greats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

moneyman wrote: »
    I'm sorry DRD but how can you post that with a straight face? I know you're a Pacers fan, but that call was an absolute joke. Where's the contact? You can argue there's contact before George even gets the ball, but you'd be stretching it. After he gets the ball, Williams doesn't even touch him. Pacers' commentators conveniently ignore that it was a phantom foul. It was a disgusting bail out call for the Pacers which lead to them getting an undeserved win. George was good in OT but you got some awful calls in OT too, and got very lucky a few times.

Once again awful officiating has a direct effect on the outcome. NBA refs have to be some of the worst in professional sports.

835255910.gif?1390628818

That's a foul, is it? Ridiculous, outcome-changing call. Sick of superstar calls.

There was no mention of it possibly not being a foul on Fox Sports Indiana.
    Looking at that gif. I agree there was no contact. But the ref who called it was standing behind George and from his angle, It probably looked like contact was made. The officials were questionable throughout. Both teams were effected by their calls. We have been fcked on previous occasion with late calls. We were due a favorable decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

It was only a blowout because of Melo ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Yeah the youtube link you put up was clearly from Indiana commentators, didn't mention the lack of contact at all despite the replays. The clip the NBA's youtube channel did call it out as a bad call when they saw the replay in fairness.

I'd imagine the league will release a statement saying it was a bad call.

Just seeing the game now. A Gay and Cousins-less Kings almost pipped a full Indiana squad. That would have been nasty DRD

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Yeah the youtube link you put up was clearly from Indiana commentators, didn't mention the lack of contact at all despite the replays. The clip the NBA's youtube channel did call it out as a bad call when they saw the replay in fairness.

I'd imagine the league will release a statement saying it was a bad call.

Maybe they will. But It won't achieve anything. Human beings make mistakes. We have been on the receiving end of bad officiating before. Some times things go your way, sometimes they go against you. On to Denver tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Watch the reach in by the right hand by Williams. That's where the contact is, soft call, but it wasn't a phantom call.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Watch the reach in by the right hand by Williams. That's where the contact is, soft call, but it wasn't a phantom call.

Surely it's before the act of shooting though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I suppose that's where the continuation rule comes into play, but the refs use this to their discretion a lot.

As a Pacers fan, it was a soft call. But there was contact and wasn't a full blown phantom foul.

And to be honest, PG was due a favourable call after Lebron grabbed him on a game tie-ing attempt and there was no call. Swings and roundabouts.

It was only a blowout because of Melo Charlotte ;)

FYP:D

• Advertisement

WAY before. Foul? Yes. Penalty - sideline possession or FTs if they were in the penalty (I think they were). But not 3 FTs and certainly no 4 point play opportunity.

The fact he made the shot after the foul should be irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Ah Melo…….:rolleyes:

62 in a blow out. Whilst part of me is impressed when anyone goes over 50 in an NBA game, I always look at the overall score first to see if indeed it was a blowout. There's a big difference scoring 62 in a blow out say than averaging 40+ in the Finals a la Jordan. Blowout games are a joke, basically pick up games that suit a 1v1 player. Interesting to note it was the Bobcats too - Deron Willimas went for 57 again them a couple of years ago. Hmmmmmm…….

Melo strikes me as the kind of player that would rather score 50 and lose than score 10 and his team win. Maybe I'm being unkind and unfair but it's the impression I've always gotten from the guy and the reason I don't think all but the most biased Knicks fans will never rate him as one of the All-time greats.

A bit harsh I think, he went out with 7 minutes left in the game, so could've gotten 70 if he really wanted to chase it.

I've been critical of Melo in the past, but you have to say he's a fantastic scorer.

My criticism has been that he takes too many difficult shots, and while he's extremely good at making them, the fact that they're so difficult means it's not the best way to win basketball games.

But at a certain point you have to forget that and admire the personal skill.

Only 13 players in NBA history have scored 62 points, so it's a good achievement whenever you do it:

Be2QPXlCcAAePsh.jpg

Also the Bobcats' defense has been pretty good this year, the new coach seems to know his stuff defensively (e.g. they have a lower points allowed than the Heat).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Does anyone know if the free league pass has to be cancelled today or tomorrow? The free trial is from the 20-26, so if it rolls over to the 26 are you opting into the subscription?

padraig_f wrote: »
    A bit harsh I think, he went out with 7 minutes left in the game, so could've gotten 70 if he really wanted to chase it.

I've been critical of Melo in the past, but you have to say he's a fantastic scorer.

My criticism has been that he takes too many difficult shots, and while he's extremely good at making them, the fact that they're so difficult means it's not the best way to win basketball games.

But at a certain point you have to forget that and admire the personal skill.

Only 13 players in NBA history have scored 62 points, so it's a good achievement whenever you do it:

Be2QPXlCcAAePsh.jpg

Also the Bobcats' defense has been pretty good this year, the new coach seems to know his stuff defensively (e.g. they have a lower points allowed than the Heat).

If you check my post you'll see I acknowledged the achievement as a feat in itself (I even lowered the bar to 50 points!), and I've said in the past Melo is an exceptional/elite scorer. Check my posts and you'll see I've even praised him for his raised rebounding effort and stats this year…...BUT….and this will always be there with Melo….he's (rightly or wrongly, rightly IMO) seen as a guy who's just a scorer - not a guy who scores AND makes him teammates better like the truly elite - Bird, Magic, Jordan etc. Melo is all about Melo; there's not a GM in the league who would build a team around him/with him as the starting point.

Put it this way, not may guys come out with quotes like this:
    "It's just a zone that you get in sometime, and only a certain group of people know what that zone feels like."
    -- Anthony

That's such a "look at me" quote "only a certain group of people know what that feels like" - lol. Other players who have nights like that thank their teammates for getting them the ball, facilitating them or self-depreacte saying they were lucky the shots were falling etc. etc. Melo basically says "Yeah, I'm loike totes amazeballs".

And while the Bobcats defense may have improved, they were missing Gordon and Walker + others last night. Gordon at least would have spent some time on Melo defensively. And missing 2 guys like that messes up your rotation.

He strikes me as a guy who could easily go through his career without winning anything and be talking sh&t like a Big Time Charlie for the rest of his life. The only way I can ever see him getting a ring is on the coat-tails of someone else….like say if he takes a reserve role on say a KD-led team in 5 years or so.

It's just my opinion, but one I know others share. But then again I doubt Melo gives two f*cks about some old white Irish guy who used to ball in Ireland.:rolleyes:

buyer95 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the free league pass has to be cancelled today or tomorrow? The free trial is from the 20-26, so if it rolls over to the 26 are you opting into the subscription?

You can go to the 26th and you get billed the 27th if it isn't cancelled.

I always unsubscribe a day before just to be sure.

Trial begins:
    January 20, 2014

Trial ends:
    January 26, 2014

You will be billed on:
    January 27, 2014

Opt out by January 26, 2014 to avoid any charges. Opt out from your application settings

By the 26th. That's dodgy. Makes you think you should be unsubscribed by the end of today, which it might actually be.

By the 26th. That's dodgy. Makes you think you should be unsubscribed by the end of today, which it might actually be.
    16 teams take the floor tonight and the NBA LEAGUE PASS Free Trial is on til tomorrow. Perfect. http://on.nba.com/1iTXYtE

https://twitter.com/NBAUK

That was posted on NBA UK twitter page 4 hours ago. I'd like to watch some of the games tonight on League Pass, but don't know if I'll risk it...

buyer95 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/NBAUK

That was posted on NBA UK twitter page 4 hours ago. I'd like to watch some of the games tonight on League Pass, but don't know if I'll risk it...

Technically the games are on on the 25th USA time and the trial ends the 26th so it should be OK to keep it for tonight actually, especially if the UK page said it's on til tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭padraig_f

If you check my post you'll see I acknowledged the achievement as a feat in itself (I even lowered the bar to 50 points!), and I've said in the past Melo is an exceptional/elite scorer. Check my posts and you'll see I've even praised him for his raised rebounding effort and stats this year…...BUT….and this will always be there with Melo….he's (rightly or wrongly, rightly IMO) seen as a guy who's just a scorer - not a guy who scores AND makes him teammates better like the truly elite - Bird, Magic, Jordan etc. Melo is all about Melo; there's not a GM in the league who would build a team around him/with him as the starting point.
    I think if you compare most players to Bird/Magic/Jordan they'll look bad, I'm not saying he's that.
    Put it this way, not may guys come out with quotes like this:
    "It's just a zone that you get in sometime, and only a certain group of people know what that zone feels like."
    -- Anthony

That's such a "look at me" quote "only a certain group of people know what that feels like" - lol. Other players who have nights like that thank their teammates for getting them the ball, facilitating them or self-depreacte saying they were lucky the shots were falling etc. etc. Melo basically says "Yeah, I'm loike totes amazeballs".

I don't take too much notice of player quotes, but don't see anything wrong with that, he's probably right. The 'my teammates deserve the credit' line sometimes strikes me as false modesty, or players just saying what the coach told them to say.
    He strikes me as a guy who could easily go through his career without winning anything and be talking sh&t like a Big Time Charlie for the rest of his life. The only way I can ever see him getting a ring is on the coat-tails of someone else….like say if he takes a reserve role on say a KD-led team in 5 years or so.

I dunno if you can win a championship with Melo (I suspect you probably can), but the main reason for the Knicks' failures are the awful management of the roster.

We don't really know if you can win the big one with Melo, because no-one could win with that roster. The Knicks have zero chance of contending until Stoudemire comes off the books (2015/16), and signing JR Smith to a 3-year contract this past off-season suggests decision-making isn't getting any better there.

The guy has his flaws, I think that was highlighted most when he faced Lebron in the playoffs two years ago, but as a pure scorer, if you don't appreciate what he does, I just think you're missing out a bit.

Dude, not arguing with the scoring part of his game - I've said repeatedly he's an elite scorer.

But there's more to the game than scoring. The Bird/Magic/Jordan examples were to highlight that and that they made their teammates better and that they're truly elite players for those reasons.

My criticisms of Melo are based on the fact that he's a gunner and that I don't think any GM or coach in the league would start building a team around a guy like that. You have to do more than score to win. No team has ever won a championship with an elite gunner on their team. Ever. You have to do more than that.

Even Wilt, generally regarded as the greatest scorer ever rebounded like a mofo and (and you can check this if you don't believe me) led the league in assists one year! He once averaged 23pts, 24+ rebounds (yes, averaged over 24 rebounds) and 8.5+ assists per game for an 82 game regular season. I read an interview with Wilt where he was asked why did he lead the league in assists and he said because he wanted to show there was more to his game than just being a scorer and rebounder.

I don't think Melo will ever win a championship with him as the star, I just can't see it. He simply doesn't have the all-round game to build a team around and he's not big picture enough to share the wealth (in every way) to get the job done. Re. the roster thing - here's a crazy idea Melo….you want a legacy? How about you take say €5m less for the next 3 years and the Knicks use that to recruit someone? Or you take less money to go to a contender next year? But he won't. Because despite having more money already in his life than he could ever spend it's an ego thing with guys like that to have to be "the man". And "the man gots to git paid".

And again, I'm not saying he's not talented or that he's a crap player or anything like that - he's clearly not. But he is fundamentally flawed in some aspects of his game.

And if I'm being really pedantic he took about 26 steps (exaggerating to highlight my point) on a couple of layups last night. Any other refs would have called them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Where exactly is the option to cancel /unsub , cant see it

Soby wrote: »
    Where exactly is the option to cancel /unsub , cant see it

Sign in, select my account or something and then my package, on that page there should be an option to cancel.

Dude, not arguing with the scoring part of his game - I've said repeatedly he's an elite scorer.

But there's more to the game than scoring. The Bird/Magic/Jordan examples were to highlight that and that they made their teammates better and that they're truly elite players for those reasons.

My criticisms of Melo are based on the fact that he's a gunner and that I don't think any GM or coach in the league would start building a team around a guy like that. You have to do more than score to win. No team has ever won a championship with an elite gunner on their team. Ever. You have to do more than that.

Even Wilt, generally regarded as the greatest scorer ever rebounded like a mofo and (and you can check this if you don't believe me) led the league in assists one year! He once averaged 23pts, 24+ rebounds (yes, averaged over 24 rebounds) and 8.5+ assists per game for an 82 game regular season. I read an interview with Wilt where he was asked why did he lead the league in assists and he said because he wanted to show there was more to his game than just being a scorer and rebounder.

I don't think Melo will ever win a championship with him as the star, I just can't see it. He simply doesn't have the all-round game to build a team around and he's not big picture enough to share the wealth (in every way) to get the job done. Re. the roster thing - here's a crazy idea Melo….you want a legacy? How about you take say €5m less for the next 3 years and the Knicks use that to recruit someone? Or you take less money to go to a contender next year? But he won't. Because despite having more money already in his life than he could ever spend it's an ego thing with guys like that to have to be "the man". And "the man gots to git paid".

And again, I'm not saying he's not talented or that he's a crap player or anything like that - he's clearly not. But he is fundamentally flawed in some aspects of his game.

And if I'm being really pedantic he took about 26 steps (exaggerating to highlight my point) on a couple of layups last night. Any other refs would have called them.

I read about this in Simmons's the book of basketball. Wilt although statistically awe inspiring, often damaged his teams chances of winning. He continually became obsessed with bizarre streak. For instance, he decided that he wanted to retire from basketball having never fouled out of a game, so he stop challenging shots with 4 or 5 fouls. John Havlicek wrote in his autobiography "Wilt’s greatest idiosyncrasy was not fouling out. He had never fouled out of a high school, college or professional game and that was the one record he was determined to protect. When he got that fourth foul, his game would change. I don’t know how many potential victories he may have cheated his team out of by not really playing after he got into foul trouble."

Wilt only won his titles (when considering there was only 10 teams in the league is pitiful) when he realised that his team was better off if he concentrated on rebounding, passing and defense.After he embraced unselfishness and won his 1st title, he lost interest in winning and became obsessed with his assists numbers. He was known to pass up layups to hit players open on the perimeter, and cajole them to shoot, he would check the scorers table multiple times a game, and complain if he was not credited with a certain assist-per Simmons. He was the definition of uncoachable, you talk about Melo saying "He was in the zone..." and being arrogant and only care about scoring,Wilt was known to make pronouncements in the media about Bill Russell, and how much of a better player he was then Russell. 11-2, thats the only stat that matters there. Russell was a better passer, defender, clutch scorer, similar ability rebounding wise, and blocker. Russell teams were built on defense, Wilt's on offense.

Can do this all night if you like as I'm not sleeping lately. Don't you see the comparisons at all? Don't you accept any of my criticisms on Melo?

Point kind of is at least he changed his game. Melo is 1 dimensional and doesn't look like changing. It's all about Melo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 BanAllFirearms

Can do this all night if you like as I'm not sleeping lately. Don't you see the comparisons at all? Don't you accept any of my criticisms on Melo?

Point kind of is at least he changed his game. Melo is 1 dimensional and doesn't look like changing. It's all about Melo.

Melo is world class
    Best offensive player in the NBA
    At the moment
    He helps his team with his great shooting and scoring so hes not one dimensional at all

Melo is world class
    Best offensive player in the NBA
    At the moment
    He helps his team with his great shooting and scoring so hes not one dimensional at all

Must not feed the troll…….:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

Pretty crazy from Terrence Ross tonight against the Clippers. Averaging around 10 ppg for the season, goes off for 51.

Less surprising to see Durant go for his 10th 30+ game in a row.

Must not feed the troll…….:rolleyes:

But I'm hungry:-(

But I'm hungry:-(

I'm not surprised if you're coming out with stuff like that.

• Advertisement

I'm not surprised if you're coming out with stuff like that.

Hes an amazing player and deserves alot more credit than he gets thats all I'll say

Advertisement