Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Season Thread 2013-2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Can do this all night if you like as I'm not sleeping lately. Don't you see the comparisons at all? Don't you accept any of my criticisms on Melo?

Point kind of is at least he changed his game. Melo is 1 dimensional and doesn't look like changing. It's all about Melo.
    And then changed back, he won a title, and then morphed into a statistics Nazi. Ofcourse I agree that Melo is flawed, but the whole Knicks team is flawed. Melo doesn't have the supporting cast to be the type of player your talking about, even if he wanted. The burden tha Durant is currently carrying in Westbrook's absense is what Melo has been carrying all year. Woodson runs iso Melo as their primary play most times down the court. To criticise him for going off for a career high is mind boggling, especially when he was efficient in getting there. When your knocking down shot after shot, and you have a chance to break the MSG scoring record you go for it. I'm not trying to say Melo is something he isn't, he is one of the most talented scorers in the league, probably only 2nd to Durant, and this year with Chandler being down he became the teams primary rebounder. He is a poor defender, and does not utilise his passing skills as much as he should. But I think it's unfar to come at him after such a fantastic performance, why not just enjoy it for what it was?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Just In late. Pacers 6pts down. There's still time

Giving tecs away. Roy fouled out, Odds stacked against us

No. Not going to be our night. 2 nights break before we go to Swaggy P and the Lakers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Just In late. Pacers 6pts down. There's still time

Giving tecs away. Roy fouled out, Odds stacked against us

Nah, you just need a few easy 4 point plays…….:D

Should finish the 5 game West road trip with 3 out of 5. Not too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Hes an amazing player and deserves alot more criticism than he gets thats all I'll say

fyp

• Advertisement

Come on Spurs.

Typical fair-weather "so called" Miami heat fans. Thousands of empty seats at the AA Arena

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

When Birdman is throwing up 3's, it's over

Heat win 113-101

Onto Lakers/Knicks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Jordan Hill is absolute poison on the defensive end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Great watch this:

Magic & Bird, A Courtship of Rivals:

Another brilliant one that people may have missed or struggled to get access to when it was first relased, the 1992 Dream Team documentary. Superb:

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Thank Jebus for NBA League Pass, I need to catch up on the past few days worth of games after being couped up in hospital in that time.

Thread from a quick glance looks like a barrel of laughs as ever :p

buyer95 wrote: »
    Melo is smokin' hot right now, nearly outscored the whole Bobcats team with 20 points. When he makes quick decisions with the basketball he is an excetional player, its the 'hard dribble, hard dribble, repeat...' fire up 20 footer with the shot clock winding down Melo when he is infuriating.

The above sums up Melo perfectly.

Meanwhile, the Cavs had 61 points at halftime. They're sitting on 70 with 9:01 left in the fourth quarter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Thank Jebus for NBA League Pass, I need to catch up on the past few days worth of games after being couped up in hospital in that time.

Thread from a quick glance looks like a barrel of laughs as ever :p

You want a laugh Nuri, how about that I put $20 dollars on the Nets to win the championship last week, something like 60/1.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Meanwhile, the Cavs had 61 points at halftime. They're sitting on 70 with 9:01 left in the fourth quarter.

and we come away with yet another loss. That's really been the story to our season, we either take a commanding lead and fall apart or we start out way too slow and leave too much of a lead to catch up to. Kyrie shot 8-23, getting 24 points..... Bennett was a DNP for the 6th time in 7 games... either give him some minutes or leave him go to the D League. It's been said before but thank god we're in the East because it's such a weak conference. The fact 3 of the 8 teams in the playoffs spots at the moment are under .500 and we can still get in with a few wins says it all really.

and we come away with yet another loss. That's really been the story to our season, we either take a commanding lead and fall apart or we start out way too slow and leave too much of a lead to catch up to. Kyrie shot 8-23, getting 24 points..... Bennett was a DNP for the 6th time in 7 games... either give him some minutes or leave him go to the D League. It's been said before but thank god we're in the East because it's such a weak conference. The fact 3 of the 8 teams in the playoffs spots at the moment are under .500 and we can still get in with a few wins says it all really.

Totally agree on Bennett, the guy must have zero confidence at the moment being grated like this. The way I see it, you have a few options:
    1. Give him as many minutes as he can play a night (I'm talking 30 plus) and let him find a rhythm, any rhythm and the confidence and game will eventually come
    2. Send him to the D league to gain confidence quicker against inferior players, again on major minutes and with a score first mentality
    3. Trade him

It's not like they're going to win anything this year so what have they got to lose? They have the worst coach and biggest fraud in the coaching game in the NBA in Brown so I'm pretty sure that's not exactly helping the kids game either.

I didn't want to say it before but it's clear now that Bennett is a draft Bust. He's a candidate for the worst No 1 overall pick in nba history. I followed the build up to this draft extensivly and i was shocked at his sélection. I thought maybe Noel, Len or even Zeller if the Cavs were going for frontcourt or Mclemore/Oladipo in the backcourt. Bennett was 8th on my list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

I didn't want to say it before but it's clear now that Bennett is a draft Bust. He's a candidate for the worst No 1 overall pick in nba history. I followed the build up to this draft extensivly and i was shocked at his sélection. I thought maybe Noel, Len or even Zeller if the Cavs were going for frontcourt or Mclemore/Oladipo in the backcourt. Bennett was 8th on my list.

I agree he has been a bust, but neither of them would have been better picks really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I won't judge Bennett until he gets some proper playing time. A few minutes here and there doesn't do it for me, even if those few minutes have been very bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I won't judge Bennett until he gets some proper playing time. A few minutes here and there doesn't do it for me, even if those few minutes have been very bad.

A prolonged stint in the d-League would do him the world of good. Take the pressure off and get back into the swing of playing plenty of minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

A prolonged stint in the d-League would do him the world of good. Take the pressure off and get back into the swing of playing plenty of minutes.

Exactly. He probably wasn't mentally prepared for the pressure of being drafted first. Benching him is doing absolutely nothing for him, probably killing whatever little bit of confidence he has left.

Wouldn't go so far as to call him the biggest draft bust ever just yet. I was as shocked as anyone when he went 1st, but we need to give the guy a chance - which, in fairness, he hasn't had just yet. If he builds his career to being a solid pro, then his rookie year will be just a memory.

Conversely, how many guys have good to great rookie years then fade afterwards? It can't be easy playing under Mike Brown and with Kyrie Irving, let's give him a break!

buyer95 wrote: »
    I agree he has been a bust, but neither of them would have been better picks really.
    Noel would definitely have been a better choice. You work with him for the season off the court to get him ready for the 14/15 season. Meanwhile you get yourself in the lottery for 2014 draft.

Start next season with

Varejão
    Noel
    Wiggins/Parker
    Waiters
    Irving

Or

Embiid
    Noel
    James
    Waiters
    Irving

also when calling him a draft bust the quality of the draft in question has to be taken into account when you talk about guys like sam bowie and darko milicic a large part of there bust label is the fact that the teams could have chosen the players behind them instead

I can see yer point about us should've gone with Noel, tanking the season to get a draft pick and go from there but the problem with us is that we're in the exact mind frame as Washington or Toronto this season, it's playoffs or bust.

We expected Bennett to go at it. He struggled early on and he just hasn't had any real chance lately. I mean benching the no1 pick 6 out've the last 7 games and that 1 game he played in, he played for 5 mins against the Bucks. Bennett should go down to the Charge to at least get some game time because with Deng now with us, he's clearly not in the rotation.

Whoa on the Sam Bowie bust claims folks. Anyone seen the ESPN documentary on Bowie? Yes, he was drafted ahead of Jordan, but at the time that wasn't a shock - it was a big man league and big men went first. Despite having injuries that would force most big men to retire permanently Bowie battled through serious pain to return to league again and again. He had an all-round game and a serious skill set for a guy his size. Despite all the injuries and rehab etc. he has 10 year pro career averages of 10.9pts, 7.5 boards, 2.1assists (very impressive for a guy his size), 1.8 blocks and 0.5 steals per game. His per 36mins stats are even more impressive. Imagine what a guy 7'1" would earn in the NBA nowadays for those stats? Look at his college stats and game - he could play serious ball. Bowie would have gone No. 1 had he opted for the pros earlier rather than staying in college longer. The only reason he didn't go No. 1 was Olajuwon was in the draft that year - again, different era and a big man league at the time.

People were surprised Jordan went as high as 3rd that year and many/most commentators felt he should have gone a lot lower down the scale. Fact is no-one knew Jordan would become the GOAT. No-one. And anyone who says otherwise is talking major sh!te. Good player, yes? The GOAT? No way.

It's a relative statement. Were it not Michael Jordan, no-one would label Bowie a bust.

Watch the Bowie documentary and try not to get sick at the leg break footage (seriously, it's gross):

Whoa on the Sam Bowie bust claims folks. Anyone seen the ESPN documentary on Bowie? Yes, he was drafted ahead of Jordan, but at the time that wasn't a shock - it was a big man league and big men went first. Despite having injuries that would force most big men to retire permanently Bowie battled through serious pain to return to league again and again. He had an all-round game and a serious skill set for a guy his size. Despite all the injuries and rehab etc. he has 10 year pro career averages of 10.9pts, 7.5 boards, 2.1assists (very impressive for a guy his size), 1.8 blocks and 0.5 steals per game. His per 36mins stats are even more impressive. Imagine what a guy 7'1" would earn in the NBA nowadays for those stats? Look at his college stats and game - he could play serious ball. Bowie would have gone No. 1 had he opted for the pros earlier rather than staying in college longer. The only reason he didn't go No. 1 was Olajuwon was in the draft that year - again, different era and a big man league at the time.

People were surprised Jordan went as high as 3rd that year and many/most commentators felt he should have gone a lot lower down the scale. Fact is no-one knew Jordan would become the GOAT. No-one. And anyone who says otherwise is talking major sh!te. Good player, yes? The GOAT? No way.

It's a relative statement. Were it not Michael Jordan, no-one would label Bowie a bust.

Watch the Bowie documentary and try not to get sick at the leg break footage (seriously, it's gross):

Yeah I've seen that Doc many times. Bowie was a great college player and would have had a great career in the NBA if it hadn't been for injury.
    Anyone would fall short when compared to Jordan. Not fair to compare him to bennett

The biggest Draft Bust in history was LaRue Martin.

Drafted by The Blazers in 1972, Ahead of "Dr J" Julius Erving

Pick & Roll..... Posterize!

• Advertisement

6 games on tonight:

Suns@Sixers
    Raptors@Nets
    TWolves@Bulls
    Clippers@Bucks
    Hawks@Thunder
    Kings@Jazz