Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Season Thread 2013-2014

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Fantastic game of basketball, great fight by the Warriors but that mofo Lebron is just sensational, best player in the league by a distance.

What about KD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭BQQ

Sorry Pacers fans, but Roy Hibbert is not an All Star.

He started the season well, but he's been average for a good while and recently he's been downright poor.
    He's averaging 7.5 pts in his last 6 games. And it's not like he's rebounding to make up for it - (averaging 7.7 for the season)
    I mean c'mon! The guy is 7 foot tall and he's averaging 7.7 rebounds.

His season averages are:

11.8 pts on 46.4% shooting
    7.7 boards
    1.3 assists
    2.5 blocks
    0.4 steals

That's about equivalent to Marcin Gortat. (Although Gortat's numbers are slightly better in every department bar blocks)

It's a joke that he's going and Cousins isn't.
    "Oh, the West is so competitive", you say.

Alright, how about someone in the East playing the same position and averaging 20 and 10? [Al Jefferson]

And before someone accuses me of hating on Indiana, let me say I have no problem with Paul George being selected and I believe a case could be made for both Stephenson and West.
    Hibbert, though, is not playing at an All Star level in my book.

*dons flak jacket*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

BQQ wrote: »
    Sorry Pacers fans, but Roy Hibbert is not an All Star.

He started the season well, but he's been average for a good while and recently he's been downright poor.
    He's averaging 7.5 pts in his last 6 games. And it's not like he's rebounding to make up for it - (averaging 7.7 for the season)
    I mean c'mon! The guy is 7 foot tall and he's averaging 7.7 rebounds.

His season averages are:

11.8 pts on 46.4% shooting
    7.7 boards
    1.3 assists
    2.5 blocks
    0.4 steals

That's about equivalent to Marcin Gortat. (Although Gortat's numbers are slightly better in every department bar blocks)

It's a joke that he's going and Cousins isn't.
    "Oh, the West is so competitive", you say.

Alright, how about someone in the East playing the same position and averaging 20 and 10? [Al Jefferson]

And before someone accuses me of hating on Indiana, let me say I have no problem with Paul George being selected and I believe a case could be made for both Stephenson and West.
    Hibbert, though, is not playing at an All Star level in my book.

*dons flak jacket*

Great post. Agree that Boogie is the most scandalous ommision too, but disagree on Stephenson.

I await a certain poster's reponse with interest! :D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Keep it friendly please!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Just watching NBA TV at the moment. Didn't realise it at the time, but the Wizards got mugged by the refs at the death with that call on Ariza on Harden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Keep it friendly please!

Can we not air our feelings on a certain player all star credentials just because he plays for a certain team, and a certain person might get upset? I have no problem withDRD, but this isn't a case where he is being attacked by another poster, it's just someone expressing an opinion. I don't even necessarily agree with BBQ that Hibbert isn't all star worthy. I think he is, the guy hasn't been voted in for his offense, defensively he is an absolute beast. Whereas Boogie and in particular Jefferson are poor defenders. It's a similar case to Tyson Chandler, who single handily kept the Knicks afloat defensively the past 2 defenses. But that's not the point I was making, I still feel that people should be entitled to express an opinion and that we should be able to discuss that opinion without being moded into oblivion anytime the pacers come up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

What about KD?

What about him ? LeBron would eat him for breakfast, then paul George for lunch, he would probably spit George out cos he don't taste too good.

I like KD, sensational player and scorer, possibly MVP but in my opinion LeBrons all round game cannot be matched by anyone at the moment, it took me a while to get on his bandwagon but the more I watch him the more impressive he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭BQQ

buyer95 wrote: »
    I don't even necessarily agree with BQQ that Hibbert isn't all star worthy. I think he is, the guy hasn't been voted in for his offense, defensively he is an absolute beast. Whereas Boogie and in particular Jefferson are poor defenders. It's a similar case to Tyson Chandler, who single handily kept the Knicks afloat defensively the past 2 defenses. But that's not the point I was making.

Just on that point you're not making :D

I agree that he's very good defensively and the way he alters shots is not something that can be measured by stats.
    However, I feel he gets all the credit for the good defense of his team despite significant contributions from George, West and Hill.

Is it enough to make him an All Star? Not in my opinion.

135.gif

The All Star break is coming at a good time for The Pacers. They have not been performing as well as they had been recently. I'm sure they will sit down together and take stock of where they are, and how they plan to attack the next stage.

Hibbert is an All Star. selection is based on how players performed up to selection day. Hibbert was and is the best C in the East. I believe Lance should have been selected too, but I do understand Johnson and DeRozan have been very good also.

Unfortunety for Cousins he's in the West. meaning he's contending against Howard, Dirk, Gasol etc. Then again I don't know if he'd get in ahead of Noah and Bosh in the East either.

• Advertisement

Keep it friendly please!

To be fair, most of the lads are able to discuss basketball with little to no bias amongst each other and are able to critique their teams be it off or on the court issues. There's only one person who proudly admits to being a partisan fan and conversations with partisan fans be it football, basketball to political opinions with usually dissolve into next to nowt.

BQQ has made a valid point IMO and has backed it up with stats.
    buyer95 wrote: »
    Can we not air our feelings on a certain player all star credentials just because he plays for a certain team, and a certain person might get upset? I have no problem withDRD, but this isn't a case where he is being attacked by another poster, it's just someone expressing an opinion. I don't even necessarily agree with BBQ that Hibbert isn't all star worthy. I think he is, the guy hasn't been voted in for his offense, defensively he is an absolute beast. Whereas Boogie and in particular Jefferson are poor defenders. It's a similar case to Tyson Chandler, who single handily kept the Knicks afloat defensively the past 2 defenses. But that's not the point I was making, I still feel that people should be entitled to express an opinion and that we should be able to discuss that opinion without being moded into oblivion anytime the pacers come up.

That's very harsh on Boogie or Big Al. Neither play for defensively elite (Grizzlies and) Bulls and/or Championship contending teams like the Pacers, or when they want Heat and OKC too, to be fair.

Sure the Bobcats have improved tenfold this season, especially at the defensive end, but a lot of that is down to the presence and leadership of Jefferson. Even more remarkable considering the fact two of their main guys in Kidd-Gilchrist and Kemba Walker (a very good one on one defender in his own right) have missed some significant time during the season so far.

Boogie certainly doesn't play for a defensive team and a lot of pressure is placed on his shoulders at both ends. He is the center piece of his team.

I genuinely like Hibbert, but replacing him with the two names above result in a downturn in effectiveness or results? I'm not sure. Chemistry.. maybe. Though it seems Boogie has turned a corner (correct me if I'm wrong Moneyman). But sure, the Pacers risked a fair bit in signing Bynum at any rate and I'd rather have Cousins out there for me than depending on Bynum off and on the court.

If we go by one person's belief that the fans get it right in voting and thus are entitled to their right to vote, perhaps they should be given the vote for reserves too (for shits n giggles). The fans who vote make no mistake about couldn't give a flying hoot about defence whatsoever, especially when it comes to an All-Star game.

personally I enjoy the element of rivaly and good natured banter in sport. I staple my colours to the mast with a team and ride with them though thick and thin.
    Some people may not like that but thats the what it is.

I like other players from other teams. Blake Griffin, K Love, KD, Ronaldo, Messi, A.Peterson, JJ Watt , Patrick Wilis etc

Also have players I don't like. Wall, Tony Homo, Tom Brady, Steven Gerrard, Tevez etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Only just saw the Warriors/Heat game there. Holy sh*t, what a finish that was.

Oh, the Cavs have won our last 4 as well, yay for a streak!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Hope he plays next season.

Lets get things straight. I have no problem with banter. However I don't want a poster named in a post in an attempt to draw a reply. If DRD chooses to reply then its fine as long as it stays civil obviously. He just shouldn't feel required to respond because he's mentioned.

As Nuri mentioned we can post about ball perfectly fine 90% of the time. So lets' keep it like that :)

Hope everyone is looking forward to ASW!

Back to basketball, Wade might miss the All-Star Game due to his foot injury.

edit - Didn't realise there is two games on tonight!

Nets @ Bulls and OKC @ Lakers is part of TNT Thursday.

@WojYahooNBA: Armed with trade exceptions, OKC has been active in search for a shooter to fortify them for title run, league sources tell Yahoo.

I'd love it for to be a move for the much touted Afflalo. Get rid of Thabo who really is black hole on offense for the most part and is overrated at the defensive end, possibly Jones III as well and well, the Thunder look mighty fine.

"Firstrowsports" has changed it's name to "feed2all". Watching Bulls/Nets on it right now.

Pretty good game so far. Bulls lead by 7 in the 1st

Comfortable enough win for the Bulls last night. Lakers continue to give the elite teams issues at Staples Center, but just fall short in an entertaining (but not profitable -_-) game. KD put up 43 points in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Couple of good wins for the Bulls over some of their rivals in the East, playing well now, team is really in sync after the lineup disruptions from earlier in the season. Taj Gibson is playing great offensively.

On the Nets, I think their biggest problem right now is Deron Williams. Not that he's playing badly, but looks a shadow of the player he was. Apparently has some ongoing ankle issues. If he got back to where he was, I think they'd be a force in the playoffs, but haven't seen it for a while now.

padraig_f wrote: »
    Couple of good wins for the Bulls over some of their rivals in the East, playing well now, team is really in sync after the lineup disruptions from earlier in the season. Taj Gibson is playing great offensively.

On the Nets, I think their biggest problem right now is Deron Williams. Not that he's playing badly, but looks a shadow of the player he was. Apparently has some ongoing ankle issues. If he got back to where he was, I think they'd be a force in the playoffs, but haven't seen it for a while now.

It won't happen, but I think D-Will is better off coming off the bench for the rest of this season. He seemed to be finding his shot a couple of weeks back leading the second unit with Livingston doing an admirable job running the point.

Harden to replace Kobe in the All Star game.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Harden to replace Kobe in the All Star game.

No surprise there. Harden was the obvious replacement for the shooting guard position.

Tonight,I'm going for Team Simmons and Team Webber

They are doing the Hall of fame on NBA TV right now.

The NBA are the best sports organisation at respecting and recognizing its former players

Snoop Dogg playing in Bill Simmons team. Brilliant

Ugh, thought the BBVA game was on now and not in two hours time. Might just give the Celeb game a watch for a few minutes before regretting it.

No stream links please. Completely against site rules.

• Advertisement

Jesse Williams playing well.:D

Pretty good standard so far. plenty of scores

Advertisement