Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Season Thread 2013-2014

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Michael B Jordon, Arne Duncan, Romeo Miller are pretty good ball players

I thought the celeb game was pretty good. Duncan, Williams, Jordan, Miller were very good. Bowan was useless.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

The celeb game legit put me to sleep and a deep sleep (slept more than 4 hours at any one time for the first time in near exactly a month!), so I'm thankful. From the 10 minutes I saw, I've seen better pick up games on the courts in Flushing (Meadows) down the road.

Team Hill won the BBVA Challenge, Drummond was awarded MVP from what I've read thanks to 30 points and a Rising Stars Challenge record 25 rebounds.

Hardaway Jr and Waiters had a great duel by all accounts too

edit -

• Registered Users Posts: 8 shopawebsite

I am bulls either they win or not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Man, Hardaway Jr and Dion went at it in the Rising Stars game, great to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I find it hard to understand how people watch every part of the All Star weekend. The summary videos on the NBA youtube channel is enough for me. It's a borefest otherwise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

NufcNavan wrote: »
    I find it hard to understand how people watch every part of the All Star weekend. The summary videos on the NBA youtube channel is enough for me. It's a borefest otherwise.

I tend to ignore Friday night but tonights events are usually quite good, as is the all star game. So much better than the All star events that are organised for Americas other big sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

Steph Curry come across as a really nice bloke in this. You can see how much winning means to him but he's not a arrogant arsehole about it

I tend to ignore Friday night but tonights events are usually quite good, as is the all star game. So much better than the All star events that are organised for Americas other big sports.
    It's bad enough waiting for ads to watch an actual game, but to have so many pauses between people dunking? No thanks. I'll wait to the next day and watch the dunks then.

Likewise with the ASG. I don't want to watch a full game of dudes standing around playing no defense. Although it is not as bad as the farcical Pro Bowl, I'll give you that.

Oh, and Waiters-Hardaway is the next Bird-Magic.

• Advertisement

There is a different format to the dunk contest this year. Round one will be a team event. Each dunker will have 90 seconds to do as many dunks as they can. When that's over, a panel of judges will then decide the winning conference

The 2nd round will be a series of head to head individual dunk battles between east and west, Judges will decide the winner of each battle.

So technically the will be no individual winner of the Dunk contest. But there will be an online fan vote for " Dunker of the night"

There is a different format to the dunk contest this year. Round one will be a team event. Each dunker will have 90 seconds to do as many dunks as they can. When that's over, a panel of judges will then decide the winning conference

The 2nd round will be a series of head to head individual dunk battles between east and west, Judges will decide the winner of each battle.

So technically the will be no individual winner of the Dunk contest. But there will be an online fan vote for " Dunker of the night"
    Online vote should see Kobe or KG winning it so

Felexicon wrote: »
    What? Is it 2003 again?

What? Is it 2003 again?

Well since they both got voted as All Stars this season I guess it must be

Well since they both got voted as All Stars this season I guess it must be
    KG? Check again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Dunk contest format is ridiculous. Whatever idiot thought of it should be fired. It was probably David Stern, annoying the fans one more time.

KG? Check again.

Jaysus pal it was a throw away comment made in jest. Chill the beans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Dunk contest format is ridiculous. Whatever idiot thought of it should be fired. It was probably David Stern, annoying the fans one more time.

It can't get any worse. Actually think the new format sounds alright, being judged on overall performance rather than having 90 seconds to complete one dunk. Thought it was a really bad spectacle seeing guys failing over and over, trying to do one over-difficult dunk. Now they'll be penalised for that (as they're being judged on performance), so will do more achievable dunks.

Jaysus pal it was a throw away comment made in jest. Chill the beans
    I'm quite chilled. I would have seen the irony if your comment made any sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

My money is on Jeremy Lin. :D

• Advertisement

Hopefully it will cut down on the amount of missed dunks that drained any remaining entertainment value from the pathetic field of dunkers last year.

The fan voting thing makes George virtually guaranteed the winner.

Mclemore, Barnes and Lillard just don't have the Profile of PG

Wall and Ross have a greater chance but unless George sh1ts himself he should be the winner

It would be LeBron, Kobe and Lin rounding off the top 3 if people could vote for them. They wouldn't even need to dunk that's how ridiculous the fan vote participation is. They should honestly do this as an experiment one year.

Steph Curry come across as a really nice bloke in this. You can see how much winning means to him but he's not a arrogant arsehole about it

They all came across well. Was my first time hearing DeRozan do a proper interview, sounds like a good egg.

Yup. All they need was big names. They got that, and still **** around with some convoluted format. Bizarre

I'm quite chilled. I would have seen the irony if your comment made any sense.

Ok you win. There you go

I've given up on the NBA dunk contest in recent years, the college one is 10 tunes better.

Looking forward to the 3 point shoot out though, always my fave part of All Star weekend.

Just catching up on what I've missed so far today - just watch Steph Curry drain 3 in a row from half court….nice warm up for the 3 point shoot out.

Anthony told the Knicks he would be willing to take a pay if they use the money to bring in some help for him.

NBATV right now, Jam session

• Advertisement

Anthony told the Knicks he would be willing to take a pay if they use the money to bring in some help for him.

That's really big of him……..:rolleyes:

Though it will likely be spun positively from a PR perspective, that says (or rather confirms) a few things about Melo to me, namely

He'd rather be a big fish is a small pond (from a team perspective - and by team I mean a team that actually has a chance of winning a championship), than play on a contender with a lesser role. Let's be honest here, NY are not going to win a championship in Melo's career span. He's making this "gesture' to get the fans and NY media onside and continue to fawn at his every move, but the reality is Melo will have banked more money by the time he reties than all of us on boards could ever spend so it's not about the money. It's an ego play.

From a sports psychology perspective, I genuinely wonder if Melo is one of those guys who's afraid of winning. Were it not so late, I'd expand on this a little. He strikes me as being very comfortable.

To use an Eamon Dunphy expression - he's the big man for the small occasion.

Oh Melo, all that talent and no heart or killer instinct. Shame.

Advertisement