Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torres del Paine

• 25-10-2013 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all,

I'm going on a G adventures tour to Patagonia next month, which will include 3 days hiking in Torres Del Paine National Park. The longest of the hikes is 9 hours.

When I booked the trip, I had planned to go on a number of hikes to build up experience and fitness. Unfortunately the group I'd signed up to with this in mind, cancelled a lot of their hikes due to bad weather :( As a result, I've gone on one 3 hour hike since then, which was fine, but naturally I'm now concerned about my lack of hiking experience, and the trip is just over 3 weeks away!

Anyone any experience of Torres Del Paine? Or any tips for how to prepare with what little time I have left? Feeling a little nervous now because of my lack of preparation, but ultimately very excited as I've been wanting to visit the area for a long time now! Hope someone can reassure me!

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

Hi all,

I'm going on a G adventures tour to Patagonia next month, which will include 3 days hiking in Torres Del Paine National Park. The longest of the hikes is 9 hours.

When I booked the trip, I had planned to go on a number of hikes to build up experience and fitness. Unfortunately the group I'd signed up to with this in mind, cancelled a lot of their hikes due to bad weather :( As a result, I've gone on one 3 hour hike since then, which was fine, but naturally I'm now concerned about my lack of hiking experience, and the trip is just over 3 weeks away!

Anyone any experience of Torres Del Paine? Or any tips for how to prepare with what little time I have left? Feeling a little nervous now because of my lack of preparation, but ultimately very excited as I've been wanting to visit the area for a long time now! Hope someone can reassure me!

thanks in advance!

I'm sure you will be fine. Do you exercise at all?? If you don't have to carry a tent/cooking equipment you should be fine as that will cut out a lot of the weight.

I'm assuming you will be doing a portion of the "W" section of the hike. If you are it's not overly challenging. The 9 hour part is probably the hike to torres del paine itself, which for someone that doesn't excercise it could be challenging but plenty of people do it in a day trip.

If you're worried I would suggest working out a bit over the next few weeks, especially some leg exercises as you will likely feel it on the legs.

It's an amazing place by the way. You're gonna love it! I spent 8 days hiking there last year. One of the best parts of my 15 month trip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

we were there a few years ago when I wasn't remotely fit and I think the hike was fine. You can take it at your own pace. Like you I freaked out a few weeks before the trip and went mad on the stepper in the gym. There are loads of different types of activities you can do there. We also went horse riding there and it was stunning...

Advertisement