Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of setting up my own small computer repair business

Options
  • 25-10-2013 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Hi I am 16 years old and have a huge interest in computers and like to think that I am fairly good at them, People all ways ask me to do this and that on their computers, remove viruses, install software, etc,

I was thinking about doing this in the mainly on the weekends and on holidays, I really should have taken the advantage of TY and started then but I was not motivated for it.

I am just looking for points and tips on how to help get it going how to sort out pricing different deals etc, It would also be good to hear from people who are in this sort of work.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

OriginV wrote: »
    Hi I am 16 years old and have a huge interest in computers and like to think that I am fairly good at them, People all ways ask me to do this and that on their computers, remove viruses, install software, etc,

I was thinking about doing this in the mainly on the weekends and on holidays, I really should have taken the advantage of TY and started then but I was not motivated for it.

I am just looking for points and tips on how to help get it going how to sort out pricing different deals etc, It would also be good to hear from people who are in this sort of work.

Thanks.
    The bits in bold would have me a little worried, frankly. You say you do 'this and that' for people. What have you in terms of recognized qualifications and industry experience? Not that those are absolutely necessary of course. It's just that your competition will have them.

I dabble in the kitchen, but I ain't no chef...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭creep

Any experience soldering, replacing screens, taking apart laptops etc.

People drop me up laptops to fix just from word of mouth and I just do virus removal for 20 euro and reinstall windows for 20. Its not my main job and just a hobby.

I wouldn't open anyone else's laptop without insurance except for ram, HDD etc

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

Have work experience in computer shops, Have experience replacing screens, keyboards and also building Desktops.

The only qualification I have now is FETAC Level 5 In Computer Networking.

I did also say small business in the title so any work I would not feel comfortable doing I would not attempt it, Of course I would only be going for the smaller types of jobs like installing software, virus removal, replacing keyboards, As I am still a student in secondary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 contrarymary

would you not need some kind of insurance in case anything went wrong?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭creep

OriginV wrote: »
    Have work experience in computer shops, Have experience replacing screens, keyboards and also building Desktops.

The only qualification I have now is FETAC Level 5 In Computer Networking.

I did also say small business in the title so any work I would not feel comfortable doing I would not attempt it, Of course I would only be going for the smaller types of jobs like installing software, virus removal, replacing keyboards, As I am still a student in secondary school.

You could register a business and maybe setup a facebook page to get the word of mouth around. It doesn't look to professional though if they have to drop the laptop at your house! A computer repair store always sell stuff now as well. You will also need insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I dont mean to burst your bubble, you seem to have the get up for a 16 year old and thats great.

But...

For the amount of money you'll be making, the risk far outweighs the return.In a few months of plodding along you could make around lets say 500 euro.If you end up breaking somebodies computer you could effectively be wiped out, and thats a few months work down the drain.

If you stick to software, maybe there'll be a return if you price competively.However if you're looking at the hardware side of things,just be aware of the risk and cheeky feckers who'll try to bleed a 16 year old dry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

creep wrote: »
    You could register a business and maybe setup a facebook page to get the word of mouth around. It doesn't look to professional though if they have to drop the laptop at your house! A computer repair store always sell stuff now as well. You will also need insurance.

TBH I dont think being a professional outfit applies here.If the lad markets himself honestly as a 16 year old with a knowledge of it and his prices are competitive,the customers wont mind the setup.Customers who'll take a punt on him for a cheap fix won't care, they will care however if somethkng goes wrong though.

This is more the give the computer to the young lad down the road and throw him 20 euro type setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

I did a similer thing when i was your age. still fix em today.
    Just set a simple set of rules for yourself.
    1. no fix, no charge.
    2. Charge depending on how long it takes you to fix it.
    3. Peoples data is more important than the hardware, allways make a backup of data.
    etc.
    Your business model would be word of mouth.
    If your good a fixing something at a good price,
    The person will refer you to other people so no need to advertise.
    some other tips i can think of
    Try to get the person to drop the laptop\computer to your house or close location
    Never say you'll fix it in half an hour. a half hour problem can turn into a 2 hour problem
    So say you'll have it fixed by tomorrow.
    Start collecting old computers and stuff. can be handy for spare parts.
    Your only starting out so cash in hand for now. you can always start a business down the road.
    If something is beyond repair just give it back to them. dont try to be a hero.

Advertisement