Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After written warning...

Options
  • 25-10-2013 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

After getting a written warning, what can my boss do? He's given me verbal warning a few times but never documented them so I'm not sure they count...

This written warning basically says this is my last chance but I'm not sure if that's legal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

They don't have to follow a particular set of disciplinary rules, unless there's an agreement in place with a union or something like that. They just have to make sure that what procedures they use are fair and progressive.

Progressing from verbal to written to suspension/termination is pretty standard stuff. Would you not concentrate on why you're getting warnings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

devon120 wrote: »
    After getting a written warning, what can my boss do? He's given me verbal warning a few times but never documented them so I'm not sure they count...

This written warning basically says this is my last chance but I'm not sure if that's legal.
    Eoin wrote: »
    They don't have to follow a particular set of disciplinary rules, unless there's an agreement in place with a union or something like that. They just have to make sure that what procedures they use are fair and progressive.

Progressing from verbal to written to suspension/termination is pretty standard stuff. Would you not concentrate on why you're getting warnings?

Good advice..
    its time to throttle back and look at your situation... repeated verbal warnings and then a written warning - all seems to be heading one way. I notice that your more concerned with what your boss can do rather than what you've been doing wrong..

What can he do ? - progress on to termiination, verbal warnings don't need to be documented (although its good practice if they are).

What should you do? - go to your boss and ask for a meeting, clarify why the warnings were given, work on a plan to get yourself back on a good footing with the company and comitt to cleaning up your act. Jobs are hard come by and trying to get one after being terminated through a disciplinary process won't be easier..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

devon120 wrote: »

If it is a large company it will have a HR policy on termination of staff.

if it is a small company it is probably 2 verbal one written. so what ever you are doing wrong you need to stop or get another job asap.

My thinking is that it is pretty legal. verbal warnings do count. and it depends on the company how it is done. They are legally required to have a termination process that is fair.

(source: I've been fired)

Advertisement