Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord options

Options
  • 25-10-2013 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi,

I didn't want to hijack the similar thread on the go, but have a few questions about landlords living abroad.

Myself and my sister are about to rent out our co-owned flat in Dublin. I'm still in Ireland, but she's living in London. I'm just wondering in terms of tax implications would it make more sense for the rent to be paid to her, or does it have to be taken as paid in proportion to the % of the property owned? I'm on the higher tax band.

Also, do landlords abroad need to register with the PRTB, etc?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Yes you must register with the PRTB. Re Tax it makes no sense for the rent to be paid to her because the tax would then assuming your saying you wont work as the agent be deducted from source.

Returns are only due at the end of the tax year, tax deducted as source is instant. You would be much better off having the money in your account earning (paltry interest) than with the revenue.

on a side note as part owner Im not even sure you could move the tax liability to the tenant given your still in the country to be honest.

Advertisement