Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom: 30GB cap for new customers?

• 25-10-2013 10:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My parents have "Next generation broadband" (ha!) and a 10GB cap which they've had for several years now. 45 euro a month or thereabouts. If you look on their website though:

http://www.eircom.ie/standardbroadband

the current offer is uncongested advanced with a 30GB cap. I asked Eircom about this and they didn't answer really - they just said "it's 2 euro/gig over 10GB". Right. That doesn't seem great now really does it. It seems to mean that new customers get 30GB and existing customers get a ridiculous 10GB with no option but to take it or leave it? It hasn't been an issue so far but with Skype and grandkids in other countries it certainly is now...

Have an other boardsies out there gotten a free upgrade to 30GB without changing their system?

(And I know eFibre is available but I'm not changing from a system that works perfectly to something new and unknown. Fine for me but not fine where my parents are concerned.)

Thanks!

Edit: 12 month contract, long since up. Does this mean I can cancel, wait a day and then resign up and get 15 quid off for 6 months? Seems a reasonable thing to do if Eircom aren't going to be.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

I would suggest posting this again on the Talk to Eircom forum and see what the eircom reps say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Cancelling for a day wouldn't be the best idea. You'd just be asking for problems like the line being disconnected etc. then possibly having to pay reconnection fees, and that's assuming they actually did what you asked them and not messed it up.

Best bet would be to ring up sales and as you are out of contract ask what the best deal they could do for you is. If they're not willing to offer you the reduced price have a look at the other providers. e.g Vodafone offer an uncapped (effectively) vdsl broadband package for €37.50 though it doesn't come with unlimited off peak calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭carveone

Cancelling for a day wouldn't be the best idea. You'd just be asking for problems like the line being disconnected etc. then possibly having to pay reconnection fees, and that's assuming they actually did what you asked them and not messed it up.

Yeah, I guess you're right although it is tempting :P I'll give their sales department a ring and see what they can do for me. 10GB is just too low these days... Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

they need to call sales and ask for the package upgrade.... but it will put you in a new 12 month contract but the price remains the same

Advertisement