Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colic

Options
  • 25-10-2013 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a pony 12H and approx 13yrs old. I have him for 2 years now. He has been living outside since I got him and did before I got him. He got colic about 3 weeks ago and between the vet, load of liquid parafin and walking he came through it. He is in a small field now and has been for quiet a while but this morning I find that he has colic back. What can I do to reduce the risk of colic. There isnt alot of grass where he is but enough for a pony at the same time. Any suggestions greatly appreciates!

Thanks
    P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

make sure his worming is up to date. also make sure he has enough fibre( grass or hay) at all times to ensure the gut keeps ticking over. all mine are on a strict worming schedule and have ad-lib access to hay and i've never had a case of colic so far.(fingers crossed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

You could take a sample of his dung and bring it to the vet to be analysed for worms. I have done this in the past and then wormed accordingly (bear in mind worm counts don't detect tapeworm). A lot of colics are caused by worm infestations apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pmason

Thanks BB. Yes his worming is up to date. I have a few bigger horses and they never had any problems TG!

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

good point and this is the time of year to worm specifically for tapeworms too.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pmason

Tape worms:confused: Must check if that wormer included tapeworms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

pmason wrote: »
    Tape worms:confused: Must check if that wormer included tapeworms.
    Tape worms can cause a pony to get seriously colicky and this is the time for them to show what they can do.
    80% of Ileac impaction colic is caused by tapeworms.
    This time of the year ponies are also inclined to eat ferns and if there are any acorns in the field they will chew them with serious consequences.

Advertisement