Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Public forests

• 25-10-2013 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Does anyone know if there are any public forests in Ireland, i.e. Not owned by the likes of Coillte

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

no such thingas far as i know as its only coillte (government owned) that are open to the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Access to privately owned forestry does not come within the remit of the Bill
    Forestry Bill 2013

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/Debates%20Authoring/DebatesWebPack.nsf/takes/dail2013101000031#N9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Donal Magner's book, Stopping By Woods, is an excellent guide to Irish woods and forests that are open to the public:
    http://www.easons.com/p-18648-stopping-by-woods.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Ihatehalloween

Old tree, I don't get the relevance of your reply to my question

Thanks Rovi and $Killkenny

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Does anyone know if there are any public forests in Ireland, i.e. Not owned by the likes of Coillte

I think NPWS controls quite a few forests managed as nature reserves and parks. They are 100% state owned.

• Advertisement

Old tree, I don't get the relevance of your reply to my question
    Just pointing out that under the new bill there is no right of access to a private wood or forest here.

Oldtree wrote: »
    Just pointing out that under the new bill there is no right of access to a private wood or forest here.

Still don't see the relevance to what I asked

Still don't see the relevance to what I asked

That the likes of Coillte and NPWS are the only ones who will allow you access as a member of the public to the woods :D

That the likes of Coillte and NPWS are the only ones who will allow you access as a member of the public to the woods :D

But I never asked about access....it seems you assumed that is what I meant....Thanks anyway:D

If it was not about access, then could you tell me what you meant by public? did you mean private ownership with public access? :confused:

• Advertisement

If it was not about access, then could you tell me what you meant by public? did you mean private ownership with public access? :confused:

Thanks for your help :)

OP, you must admit your opening question is somewhat ambiguous.

Do you mean forests that are in Public ownership (with a big 'P', ie the State bodies: Coillte, NPWS, OPW), or forests to which the general public have access, or forests owned by private individuals?

Rovi wrote: »
    OP, you must admit your opening question is somewhat ambiguous.

Do you mean forests that are in Public ownership (with a big 'P', ie the State bodies: Coillte, NPWS, OPW), or forests to which the general public have access, or forests owned by private individuals?

Rovi, I do not have to admit anything other than All I wanted to know is in my original post.

Fair enough.

Don't expect to get much help though, if you're not willing to clarify or explain what you're looking for.

Rovi wrote: »
    Fair enough.

Don't expect to get much help though, if you're not willing to clarify or explain what you're looking for.

I can't have made it any simpler....but some people tried to read more into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

I can't have made it any simpler....but some people tried to read more into it

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87071179

Looks like you're likely asking about access. ;)

Reindeer wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87071179

Looks like you're likely asking about access. ;)

Again people ass u Ming too much;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭td5

Theres alway one . No matter where you go !!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

I know of land not owned by anyone. Some used to be 'commonage' for grazing on fair days etc. Other land I have come across was last registered to Lord Joe Bloggs in 1922 kind of thing and not transferred since, ripe for re registering.
    Some of the large estates lands broken up and given out by the land commission were not entirely exhausted of land and what was left sometimes became 'cowparks'. These were administered/owned by local authorities. Some I know have forests on them but to get an un registered one would be next to impossible.
    I work for a couple of local authorities and finding out who owns what is a daily chore, hense my biteen of knowledge in this area. On a personal note it infuriates me when old Mass paths and pilgrim ways are gobbled up by a greedy person. Some fine graveyards and heritage places have lost the right to access from their traditional routes or indeed any route as some are now landlocked by pure needless greed. A curse upon their houses :-)

I didn't know that, very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

he's bang on. Land beside me was always assumed to be commonage, turns out it was registered to landlords estate. Land was so poor, no one every really bothered with it..
    Only boom time that was...

Advertisement