Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internship NYC

Options
  • 25-10-2013 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey,
    I'm currently in search of an Internship in NYC in Digital Marketing but am finding it rather difficult finding an organisation that will participate. Does anyone have any connections or any ideas of where to look.

I am in my degree year of Business in AIT and the experience and exposure to the US culture would be create.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanking you
    Darren

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Would you need a work permit for an internship in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 darrenmac

Hi graham,
    I would be travelling on the USIT internship program it is very similar to the J1 Visa. This visa covers me for 3-12 months in the US.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Very nice, hope you find something. An internship in NYC would be pretty awesome.

Offer to volunteer at the Dublin Web Summit next week perhaps, you never know who you might get talking to there. I also seem to recall there's student tickets still knocking around somewhere too but don't quote me on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 darrenmac

Thank you graham, I will def look into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

I'm in my degree year of a business course - everyone seems to want an internship in Digital Marketing. I'm not knocking your plans or motivations, but from what I've seen it's this generations 'cool' job.

Of course, there's feck all money in it until you get the ball rolling and climb a long ladder which, realistically, could tip over at any minute.

The chances of scoring big with a Facebook/Twitter/Amazon gig are 100000:1. You should concentrate on agencies. Also, look out for start-up press releases. A lot of them spring up in NYC in shared office space. It mightn't be a glamorous Internship you imagines (with all the ping-pong tables, free Coca Cola and retro posters) but you could work alongside a fledgling bunch of entrepreneurs. Plus, they're an LLC and could sign your visa paperwork.

Good luck. But be realistic. From where I'm standing, the 'industry' is packed full of a load of man-children/hipsters desperate to have cool, zaney jobs to impress their friends/parents/twitter followers.

Only the driven, business-minded entrepreneurs actually get anywhere in Digital. Largely by starting their own companies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement