Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting history of Garnett & Keegans

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

You must have been rich father symes, they tried to cater for the higher Echelons. Interesting to see they had or claimed to have a proof house in the basement of parliament street, never knew that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRLhLQG6o-U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Reads cutlers across the street.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXcURq56beg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Bought my first gun there, terrible shame it's long gone.

http://www.myall-familygenealogy.com/garnetts-and-keegans-2/

Very nice. Saved it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I bought a lot of tackle and shells there in the early Seventies. I remember Jack Harris very well and have a signed copy of An Angler's Entomology which I inherited from my uncle.

Sad that, unlike the London gunsmiths the Irish shops are all gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Johnny max

I baught a good bit of my flytying gear there still have it also
    Another good shop long gone was
    Doyle and Hewitt in enniscorthy

Rosahane wrote: »

Sad that, unlike the London gunsmiths the Irish shops are all gone!

Yes but London though is full of bankers, financial traders, and stockbrokers who like to spend their huge bonuses on very expensive toys. There used to be plenty of gunshops in dublin city centre, watts on the quays, moorkens, carrs in pierce street, pat cleere in temple bar etc. They are all gone now apart from rorys fishing tackle and they only really sell ammo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Be intresting to know what results they achived with the Carcano test.Post the JFK shooting.
    Also the rifle design and the GK calibre sounded very promising.Wonder were any ever built or do any pics exist of it?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

rowa wrote: »
    Yes but London though is full of bankers, financial traders, and stockbrokers who like to spend their huge bonuses on very expensive toys. There used to be plenty of gunshops in dublin city centre, watts on the quays, moorkens, carrs in pierce street, pat cleere in temple bar etc. They are all gone now apart from rorys fishing tackle and they only really sell ammo.

Pat Cleere is still open, he moved to Clane co.Kildare, & still has a fine premises, he also served hiss time in G & K.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

That was a very good article, I remember the shop well, That and Watts on the Quays. I recently bought a second hand AYA 25 that was made in 1971, I got this information from AYA.

I have a Spanish Friend and she rang AYA to see could she get more information, in fairness she did and it was a number of AYAs that where shipped to G+K in March 1971. I was born in June 1971. I don't think I would have got that information if my Spanish friend didn't do some serious chatting and cajoling. Roll on Friday week and hopefully I will Give it a good days out.

Pat Cleere is still open, he moved to Clane co.Kildare, & still has a fine premises, he also served hiss time in G & K.

Pat is a nice lad , i bought shotgun ammo off him regularly, but he was much bigger into fishing tackle than guns and shooting equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

That was a very good article, I remember the shop well, That and Watts on the Quays. I recently bought a second hand AYA 25 that was made in 1971, I got this information from AYA.

I have a Spanish Friend and she rang AYA to see could she get more information, in fairness she did and it was a number of AYAs that where shipped to G+K in March 1971. I was born in June 1971. I don't think I would have got that information if my Spanish friend didn't do some serious chatting and cajoling. Roll on Friday week and hopefully I will Give it a good days out.

For and AyA from the year 1971 there should be a 'PI' marked on the flats and the serial number should be in the 222,509 to 378,548 range (1966 - 1971)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

For and AyA from the year 1971 there should be a 'PI' marked on the flats and the serial number should be in the 222,509 to 378,548 range (1966 - 1971)

Cheers got that.

Advertisement