Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry Pi HTPC

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

dohboy wrote: »
    Sent me an email...?

Fair enough, get it off amazon or Farnell then. We got ours off farnell, no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Zascar wrote: »
    I have one but I have not really used it - the learning curve is pretty steep - I reveryed back to my WEDTV instead. I bought a kit of ebay, came with an 8gb memory card with 5 different OS's on it, a case and some other bits. I'm not using it so let me know if anyone wants to buy it

Id be interested in the board only, can you PM me with a price?

davo2001 wrote: »
    Id be interested in the board only, can you PM me with a price?

I have a Pi here with case and 8GB SD card. I'll sell it for 50 euro. If your a bit of a newbie, I'll put the OS of your choice on it. PM me if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

syklops wrote: »
    I have a Pi here with case and 8GB SD card. I'll sell it for 50 euro. If your a bit of a newbie, I'll put the OS of your choice on it. PM me if interested.

Thanks but I can code it myself and I'm only looking for the board and SD card. €50 for a second hand unit? bit steep.

Thanks anyways.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I have the board and a clear case. I was thinking of keeping the SD card as they are handy to have. What's a fair price for the two? €40?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Zascar wrote: »
    I have the board and a clear case. I was thinking of keeping the SD card as they are handy to have. What's a fair price for the two? €40?

Id say 30 euro would be an alright price. I got mine new with an SD card for 35. An extra 5 and I could have gotten a case too.

davo2001 wrote: »
    Thanks but I can code it myself and I'm only looking for the board and SD card. €50 for a second hand unit? bit steep.

Thanks anyways.

This isnt second hand. It was never used. I bought half a dozen for a project in work and some didnt get used. If anyone else is interested, make me an offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,445 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The model B with 512MB is £28 shipped from Amazon (board only, no case, no sd card)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'll take €30 if you can collect. Literally used twice so in pwo...
    Send me a pm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭dohboy

Fair enough, get it off amazon or Farnell then. We got ours off farnell, no issues.

Landed today. Now the fun and games start.

• Advertisement

Landed today. Now the fun and games start.

Best of luck with it.

Best of luck with it.

Update: I have no idea what I am doing.

Google's your friend. Having no idea what you're doing is part of the fun ;)

Update: I have no idea what I am doing.

Ok... I am assuming ou have a Pi and a power source, and an SD card. Have you flashed the OS to the flash card?

Yes have it working and Raspian running. Trying to get my laptop to talk to it using this tutorial, cos I've no keyboard for the Rpi: http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/electronics/take-control-of-your-raspberry-pi-using-your-mac-pc-ipad-or-phone/

Using VNC viewer but getting a connection refused (10061) error when I put in the Rpi's ip into the VNC server box... but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to do that. Basically I'm bumbling along in a one step forwards, two steps back kinda mode.

Yes have it working and Raspian running. Trying to get my laptop to talk to it using this tutorial, cos I've no keyboard for the Rpi: http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/electronics/take-control-of-your-raspberry-pi-using-your-mac-pc-ipad-or-phone/

Using VNC viewer but getting a connection refused (10061) error when I put in the Rpi's ip into the VNC server box... but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to do that. Basically I'm bumbling along in a one step forwards, two steps back kinda mode.

Can you SSH into the Pi?

Can you SSH into the Pi?

Yeh, using putty. Installed tightvncserver. Just can't seem to get the vnc working.

In my own layman's terms: I want to be able to see my Rpi screen on my laptop and I can't.

Yeh, using putty. Installed tightvncserver. Just can't seem to get the vnc working.

Is tightvnc running? RUn the command:

ps aux | grep vnc

and see what it returns.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

it still cant hack hq 1080, like 30gb rips yet tho can it

it still cant hack hq 1080, like 30gb rips yet tho can it

Yes it can! Did you run something like XBMC on openELEC? I did and it was playing Inception at 1080p flawlessly

The main reason I bought a Pi was to check this out for myself as I didn't believe it could :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

unkel wrote: »
    Yes it can! Did you run something like XBMC on openELEC? I did and it was playing Inception at 1080p flawlessly

The main reason I bought a Pi was to check this out for myself as I didn't believe it could :D

ohhh i had been holding off because of this, very tempted now

Is tightvnc running? RUn the command:

ps aux | grep vnc

and see what it returns.

It shows this:
    pi@raspberrypi ~ $ ps aux | grep vnc
    pi 2704 0.0 2.0 11888 9012 pts/0 S 12:10 0:02 Xtightvnc :1 -d esktop X -auth /home/pi/.Xauthority -geometry 1024x768 -depth 24 -rfbwait 120000 -rfbauth /home/pi/.vnc/passwd -rfbport 5901 -fp /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/,/usr /share/fonts/X11/Type1/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/ -co /etc/X11/rgb
    pi 2708 0.0 0.1 1752 512 pts/0 S 12:10 0:00 /bin/sh /home/p i/.vnc/xstartup
    pi 2815 0.1 2.0 11896 9012 pts/0 S 12:49 0:01 Xtightvnc :2 -d esktop X -auth /home/pi/.Xauthority -geometry 1024x768 -depth 24 -rfbwait 120000 -rfbauth /home/pi/.vnc/passwd -rfbport 5902 -fp /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/,/usr /share/fonts/X11/Type1/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/ -co /etc/X11/rgb
    pi 2819 0.0 0.1 1752 512 pts/0 S 12:49 0:00 /bin/sh /home/p i/.vnc/xstartup
    pi 2905 0.0 0.1 3544 868 pts/0 S+ 13:00 0:00 grep --color=au to vnc

It shows this:

What windows based VNC viewer are you using?

It looks like there are 2 vnc server sessions running. You may have to specify 1 or 2 when connecting. Can you put up a screen shot of your VNC connect screen?

Using VNC Viewer. The connect screen Just has a dialog box with:

Vnc Server: (which is blank and I'm not sure what to put in here...anything I tried is giving me errors)
    Encryption: Let VNC Server choose (and some other drop down options)

I only want this Rpi for XBMC really so should I just have installed OpenELEC instead of Raspian?

Using VNC Viewer. The connect screen Just has a dialog box with:

Vnc Server: (which is blank and I'm not sure what to put in here...anything I tried is giving me errors)
    Encryption: Let VNC Server choose (and some other drop down options)

I only want this Rpi for XBMC really so should I just have installed OpenELEC instead of Raspian?

where it says VNC Server put in the IP address of the Pi a colon and 1, e.g.:

192.168.1.42:1

where it says VNC Server put in the IP address of the Pi a colon and 1, e.g.:

192.168.1.42:1

Gerrup ya dancer! Cheers fella! Working now.

(Until my next cul de sac)

Its worth learning how to do this in case you ever need to reinstall or update XBMC or want to do something else with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Raspbmc has a pretty easy to use windows tool to create a sd card for the pi. Since then I've learned a fair bit about ssh, Linux commands etc for tweaking the setup. Eg remapping the buttons on my Samsung remote for items such as subtitles on / off. Learning by doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Raspbmc has a pretty easy to use windows tool to create a sd card for the pi. Since then I've learned a fair bit about ssh, Linux commands etc for tweaking the setup. Eg remapping the buttons on my Samsung remote for items such as subtitles on / off. Learning by doing!

what's this about remapping buttons on the Samsung remote?

very cool... was wondering if this could be done. any linky?

(have raspbmc running on Pi connected via hdmi to a Samsung tv controlled via the tvs remote so being able to assign buttons would be great)

• Advertisement

Access wrote: »
    what's this about remapping buttons on the Samsung remote?

very cool... was wondering if this could be done. any linky?

(have raspbmc running on Pi connected via hdmi to a Samsung tv controlled via the tvs remote so being able to assign buttons would be great)

Have you tried the XMBC android app?

Advertisement