Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry Pi HTPC

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

syklops wrote: »
    Have you tried the XMBC android app?

Yep, of course, but samsungs own remote controls xbmc via CEC through HDMI and it would be so handy to assign buttons on the tv remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Access wrote: »
    Yep, of course, but samsungs own remote controls xbmc via CEC through HDMI and it would be so handy to assign buttons on the tv remote.

Big thread over on RaspBMC forum's with a downloadable xml for the remote - http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=2033

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭dohboy

Any reason why Yatse would say my Rpi has a different IP to Fing? I say this because I turned on my Rpi tonight and Yatse wasn't working so I deleted that profile and just put it on again. It's working but it seems to be a different IP to the one I've always been using...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

what's this about remapping buttons on the Samsung remote?

very cool... was wondering if this could be done. any linky?

(have raspbmc running on Pi connected via hdmi to a Samsung tv controlled via the tvs remote so being able to assign buttons would be great)

Yeah essentially I was missing some important Samsung remote buttons with my XBMC setup such as Home, Context Menu, Info, subtitles. I've attached the XML profile here, it was based on the thread Diddy Kong is referring to. You rename it to remote.xml and place it in the XBMC userdata keymaps folder. Note that there are a few Samsung remotes out there, this is the one I have.

I have it mapped so that when navigating menus the Green button acts as Info, and the Yellow button for Context Menu (mark as watched etc).

It also remaps the Samsung Return button to go back a screen, and the Samsung Exit button to go back to Home. This was rather unintuitively the wrong way around for me when I did this a few months back. As you can see from the XML some of the buttons mapping are not clear. For example, the CH LIST button on the remote corresponds to the "livetv" command in XBMC. The RETURN button corresponds to "title". And the EXIT button corresponds to Back/Return in XBMC! I was confused as hell by the time I had the XML file setup and working ok...

Finally I have the blue button configured for quickly toggling subtitles when video is playing.

Otherwise all the other keys behave as expected, such as pause, skip, rewind, etc. Channel up and down correspond to Page Up / Page Down in XBMC so you can quickly skip through big lists. Some keys cannot be remapped, such as TOOLS, INFO etc. which is why I have them remapped to the colour buttons.

I have the pi running raspbmc connected to our tv via hdmi, but i would also like to run a second cable to a non hdmi tv in another room to view the same media as the first tv.

I ran my cables (yellow composite and jack to red and white phono cables) and connected to the PIs audio out jack and yellow composite connector, but i am getting no audio and no picture?

Cables and other tv checked and all okay.

Is there a way of enabling dual output of hdmi and composite at the same time?

I do realise i wont be getting a HD picture through the cables to the second non hdmi tv but thats fine by me.

• Advertisement

Is there a way of enabling dual output of hdmi and composite at the same time?

No, its not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

eh if you use a HDMI splitter and use 2 HDMI cables you'll get dual HD signals.
    your alternative would be to use both as composite and disconnect the HDMI
    i have 2 PI's but i think its a lot of coding if even possible to activate both ports.

something like this would do you.
    hdmi-splitter-cable-1-in-2-out.jpg

eh if you use a HDMI splitter and use 2 HDMI cables you'll get dual HD signals.
    your alternative would be to use both as composite and disconnect the HDMI
    i have 2 PI's but i think its a lot of coding if even possible to activate both ports.

something like this would do you.
    hdmi-splitter-cable-1-in-2-out.jpg

Thanks but those ideas are a non runner im afraid.

Im unwilling to lose a 1080p picture from my first tv and the second tv doesnt have hdmi... hence why I would like to use composite as well as hdmi.

from all the info i can find. like IKYS says above its not possiable as

The composite and hdmi hardware share some common logic (e.g. clocks) and so can't be run together.

Ah fair enough... thanks for the info lads.

Back to the drawing board for this idea so... might just invest in a second pi so.

• Advertisement

well Pi's are cheap :-).

BTW use a usb cable connected to the TV to power it so when you turn on the TV it will boot the PI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Anyone selling their pi? Looking for a couple more but thought I'd check before buying more new ones..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

neacy69 wrote: »
    Anyone selling their pi? Looking for a couple more but thought I'd check before buying more new ones..

The newer rPi's have 512Mb of RAM, the older versions have 256Mb.
    If you buy one secondhand, it's likely to be the old version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I've gotten my completely up and running now. Its really an amazing HTPC which all together has cost me little under €145.
    Ebay links may expire in a few days/weeks.

Pí Model B With 8GB SD (modmypi.com)
    €47.75
    Case (Ebay) (I made my own wooden one, This is an example)
    €5
    External Hard Drive 500gb (Amazon)
    €50
    Remote Control (Ebay)
    €10
    Wireless Mouse (Ebay)
    €5
    Wireless Keyboard (Ebay)
    €10
    Powered USB Hub (Ebay)
    €10
    HDMI Cable 5m (Ebay)
    €5
    Software / OS:
    Navi-X
    €0
    XBMC
    €0

Edit: A lot of these prices are rounded up and they all include shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

killanena wrote: »
    I've gotten my completely up and running now. Its really an amazing HTPC which all together has cost me little under €145.
    Ebay links may expire in a few days/weeks.

Pí Model B With 8GB SD (modmypi.com)
    €47.75
    Case (Ebay) (I made my own wooden one, This is an example)
    €5
    External Hard Drive 500gb (Amazon)
    €50
    Remote Control (Ebay)
    €10
    Wireless Mouse (Ebay)
    €5
    Wireless Keyboard (Ebay)
    €10
    Powered USB Hub (Ebay)
    €10
    HDMI Cable 5m (Ebay)
    €5
    Software / OS:
    Navi-X
    €0
    XBMC
    €0

How good is that wireless keyboard and did you have much difficulty getting to work with the Pi?

I hate it tbh :p I works great no problems at all but I just don't like touch pads, I like the feel of keys but now I have xbmc up and running I rarely use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Mine came from amazon the other day, cant use till christmas :(
    Really excited to see what I can do with it, are most of you guys using a XBMC remote on your phone/tablet instead of a keyboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Really excited to see what I can do with it, are most of you guys using a XBMC remote on your phone/tablet instead of a keyboard?

initially i used a wireless usb keyboard to set it up, but now i ssh into it if i need to make any changes. For daily use my tv supports hdmi cec so i can use the telly remote to navigate. I've tried a few xbmc remote apps but nothing beats a dedicated button remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

Damo 2k9 wrote: »

While I was using the Pi I used the yatse remote app on my phone/tablet. The great thing about the yatse app is that it scans your library and caches all of the metadata so that you can browse your library through the app, saving a lot of time browsing on the Pi if you have a large library

• Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭circadian

Thinking on running openlec or xbmc on mine, however I also want to run a torrent client that I can manage over ssh on it too.

Any ideas? I know transmission is available for xbmc but it's HTTP only, so that's a no no.

• Advertisement

circadian wrote: »
    Thinking on running openlec or xbmc on mine, however I also want to run a torrent client that I can manage over ssh on it too.

Any ideas? I know transmission is available for xbmc but it's HTTP only, so that's a no no.

A friend of mine has hes set up duel boot on an SSD with linux mint and xbmc. He followed a guide online how to set it so the SSD is the boat drive, I'll ask him if he still has the link.

That'd be great thanks! At the minute I've got the red light dim green light no boot issue :/

Got it up and running with Arch, very unusual command line but it seems to work quickly.

Reviving this old thread because its interesting :)
    How is your Pi threating you? :p

Mine is going great, Im using OpenElec at the moment. Can't travel without it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I actually just got my Pi on Monday, it's interesting toying around with it and getting more used to Linux. At the moment I've put Xbian on one SD card and set it up similar to my main HTPC and it's handling the numerous add-ons quite well.

The power cable is the only thing going into it besides a standard mini WiFi dongle + HDMI cable and it's in a little black case behind the TV so it's unnoticeable. The GF and I control the main HTPC with Yatse on our Android phones + tablet so it was just a matter of quickly adding the Pi to the list to take control of it.

Have to quickly edit the config file tonight to disable the overscan since the image is slightly spilling outside of the TV's display.

Put RetroPie on another SD card but unfortunately it doesn't recognise my GameStop Xbox360 controller since that particular one isn't added into the Xboxdrv list. No biggie since I'll put the SD card to some other use if I've no luck tonight figuring something out.

I might try OpenElec but Xbian seems to do the job for me so far with little complaint, left it on for a few hours streaming US channels from USTVNOW with no hiccups.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

been working on my rasp pi lately

I used to have it working as a NAS + Torrent machine (samba) sharing my drive to my HTPC (openelec) in the main sitting room and my old WD TV in the bedroom.
    SD card started giving hassle a couple of weeks ago so I had to start all over and the SD card finally broke this week (completely non-responsive) so I have decided to use my rasp pi as an Openelec machine for the kitchen and look into a better NAS solution such as freenas on an old laptop in my office (junkroom :D)...

very happy with the pi so far (just dodgy sd card issues)

Loving it, RaspBMC running sweet. It's my media centre/storage/download/VPN server.

Pretty impressive for something so small and cheap!

Advertisement