Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any young unemployed heading to Oz to look for work?

Options
  • 25-10-2013 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hey!
    I'm a 25 year old unemployed graduate who wants to get out of this country for a while and go to Australia to find work. But I haven't got the courage to go on my own. I'm looking for someone to go over with and to share the experience with. Ideally someone around my age group who is also unemployed and wants to work in Oz.
    I am looking to go before the end of the year or early January if possible. I've got my 1 Year Working Holiday Visa but haven't booked any flights or accommodation yet.
    I think I would like to start out in Sydney and take it from there but I'm open to other suggestions. I also want to get the 3 months fruit picking out of the way early so that I'm guaranteed a 2nd Year.
    So if there's anyone thinking of making the move Down Under to search for work but they don't want to go on their own, please let me know. PM me or post on here. Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Late December/early January is worst possible time to look for work in any of Australian cities. Most people take summer hols around this time and HR departments generally go into holding pattern for first couple of months of year.

If you want to do regional work then it might be different but I have never done it so can't offer any guidance there.

Btw, coming out on your own might be tough to begin with but I know lots of people that did it and they got on great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Hawkeye1

Im over in sydeny with a friend in a hostel and there is plenty of people here on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I am not young nor (thankfully for Australia) unemployed. I came here with my family eleven months ago on the OH's nursing visa and you'll love it here.
    The only bit of advice I will give you is that you should take the plunge and go it alone as if you haven't got a good friend to travel with already then that could be a lot more hassle than it's worth finding a stranger with possible baggage and you could end up babysitting them or bailing them out of all sorts of grief.

Good luck and don't forget to bring your sunnies.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Musicaddict1

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Basically the fear I have about going alone is not the flight, but what happens when I arrive. As I mentioned in my original post, I'm unemployed and have been for 3 years so I would want to settle in a place and start working ASAP. Now obviously I would have to start off in a hostel when I arrive. Here's my worry: I'm afraid that all I would meet is backpackers who have just come out to Oz on a year out or whatever to travel around. Now I've nothing against this, but it's not something I want to do.
    I would be in a situation where I would be totally on my own in a foreign country and I know for sure I wouldn't be able to cope as I've never lived abroad before. Now you're probably thinking I'm thinking way too much into it but that's the fear I have.
    I feel that having another Irish person join me in the search for work out there would make the trip a lot less daunting. Also having that guarantee of knowing that I would be there with someone at the start would give me great comfort.
    That's why I'm posting on here. Surely given all the statistics and reports in the last few months about youth emigration, there's someone out there who's in the same boat as me or knows someone who is or are all the Irish just heading off in groups?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Basically the fear I have about going alone is not the flight, but what happens when I arrive. As I mentioned in my original post, I'm unemployed and have been for 3 years so I would want to settle in a place and start working ASAP. Now obviously I would have to start off in a hostel when I arrive. Hero's my worry: I'm afraid that all I would meet is backpackers who have just come out to Oz on a year out or whatever to travel around. Now I've nothing against this, but it's not something I want to do.
    I would be in a situation where I would be totally on my own in a foreign country and I know for sure I wouldn't be able to cope as I've never lived abroad before. Now you're probably thinking I'm thinking way too much into it but that's the fear I have.
    I feel that having another Irish person join me in the search for work out there would make the trip a lot less daunting. Also having that guarantee of knowing that I would be there with someone at the start would give me great comfort.
    That's why I'm posting on here. Surely given all the statistics and reports in the last few months about youth emigration, there's someone out there who's in the same boat as me or knows someone who is or are all the Irish just heading off in groups?

To be honest you are probably better off meeting people over here who know how things work and who might have contacts for work and who can point you in the right direction in general. Don't be too worried about meeting Irish people who are just taking a year off and want to travel around...those days are over because people are too concerned with getting sponsored!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Basically the fear I have about going alone is not the flight, but what happens when I arrive. As I mentioned in my original post, I'm unemployed and have been for 3 years so I would want to settle in a place and start working ASAP. Now obviously I would have to start off in a hostel when I arrive. Here's my worry: I'm afraid that all I would meet is backpackers who have just come out to Oz on a year out or whatever to travel around. Now I've nothing against this, but it's not something I want to do.

Mate you need to plan this a lot more.

Your current plan is terrible as its to arrive in probably the most expensive city in the southern hemisphere at a time when no -one is hiring... I know because I did something similar in Sydney several years ago.

The plan for harvest work straight off the bat is good. You need to gear your questions more in that direction.

As in "Where is the most harvest work in Australia in January?"

This does two things it gets you your 2nd Visa and gives you a job to leap from when you finish. No employer likes to be the one to break a 3 year stint of unemployment. If you have just done three months summer work picking fruit you should look tanned and ready to do something a little easier on the back.

So if you really want to do this the last thing you need is another person. It ties you down and removes the freedom to travel anywhere and do anything. You will need that. You are facing a very hard uphill battle. Australia is not awash with work as many would have you believe.

A 3 year gap on a CV looks as **** in the southern hemisphere as it does in the north. I am pretty sure I know how most people would fix that but I will leave that to yourself.

Your request for another person reads more like you want to someone to tag along behind, so you don't want to do the hard yards researching this trip. However thats just my reading of it.

There is a guide here that could start you of.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73021962#post73021962

Australia is a long way away and without a plan and the determination to make it work the chances of a return trip are high.

With a plan, enough start up capital and determination ....you can go very far.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Zambia wrote: »
    Mate you need to plan this a lot more.

Your current plan is terrible as its to arrive in probably the most expensive city in the southern hemisphere at a time when no -one is hiring... I know because I did something similar in Sydney several years ago.

The plan for harvest work straight off the bat is good. You need to gear your questions more in that direction.

As in "Where is the most harvest work in Australia in January?"

This does two things it gets you your 2nd Visa and gives you a job to leap from when you finish. No employer likes to be the one to break a 3 year stint of unemployment. If you have just done three months summer work picking fruit you should look tanned and ready to do something a little easier on the back.

So if you really want to do this the last thing you need is another person. It ties you down and removes the freedom to travel anywhere and do anything. You will need that. You are facing a very hard uphill battle. Australia is not awash with work as many would have you believe.

A 3 year gap on a CV looks as **** in the southern hemisphere as it does in the north. I am pretty sure I know how most people would fix that but I will leave that to yourself.

Your request for another person reads more like you want to someone to tag along behind, so you don't want to do the hard yards researching this trip. However thats just my reading of it.

There is a guide here that could start you of.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73021962#post73021962

Australia is a long way away and without a plan and the determination to make it work the chances of a return trip are high.

With a plan, enough start up capital and determination ....you can go very far.

Good post .Well said .A big City in Aus will just eat up his money from the start .Better he go to a rural town with lots of Farm work .Different crops are harvested at different places and times of the year .This he has to investigate for himself .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

If it's just work you want you'd be better off popping over to the UK, cost you a lot less.

Thanks for that insightful post Zambia. Just want to reply to a few things:

I was planning November/Early December because I would have liked to have started my Oz Experience in Sydney for Christmas & New Years. But I don't think that's going to happen now. I've left it too late. I only plucked up the courage to start all this just over a month ago when I got my WHV despite it being on my mind constantly for over 2 years.

That's why I need to get out there ASAP. The longer I stay here, the bigger the gap gets. There has to be more opportunities over there especially in the cities than here. I won't bore you with all the details about my struggle to gain employment here. All I'll say is that the only experience I've been able to get during the 3 years is a 9 month JobBridge Internship with a mobile phone shop (which I voluntarily took up). I couldn't even get one which was relevant to my degree: Accounting. Of course, there was no opportunity for me there when I finished. I stayed the full 9 months despite been treated like dirt because I needed that reference. Even after gaining this up to date retail experience I couldn't even get part-time work in shops. That's why I want out of here for a while.

That's not the case at all. As I've no Irish contacts out there, it would be nice to be joined by another Irish person to have as company when starting out. Someone to relate to and talk to if I felt homesick. I'm not afraid of meeting other nationalities, it's just that it would be a comfort to have 1 Irish contact available from the get-go so you know your not totally on your own in a foreign country.

So judging by your post, do you think I should leave it until January then? I still would like to start out in Sydney even if it was just for a week a two and then look into doing the fruit picking. If I can't get anyone to go with me, do you know of any hostels where the majority of Irish tend to stay when in Sydney?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭scouser82

I couldn't even get one which was relevant to my degree: Accounting.

In 3 years of unemployment did the thought never occur to you to start sitting your ACCA's which would make you far more attractive to potential employers? Depending on where you gained your degree you should expect to pick up some exemptions. It's not like you would have had to do all 14! Being unemployed is sh1t but there are things that can be done to make the situation better. Have you been sitting professional exams?

I wouldn't waste your time and money coming out here if that is the only reason you want to come. The accountancy market is pretty rubbish here. Can't speak for Sydney but there are arguably more opportunities in Dublin now than in Melbourne.

Save yourself the hassle, expense, soul destroying visa anguish, and the likely return back to Ireland by moving to the UK. Easier on the homesickness also.

• Advertisement

I was planning November/Early December because I would have liked to have started my Oz Experience in Sydney for Christmas & New Years. But I don't think that's going to happen now. I've left it too late. I only plucked up the courage to start all this just over a month ago when I got my WHV despite it being on my mind constantly for over 2 years.
    Mate its better to start after christmas. All year in one country then christmas in a strange place is no fun.

That's why I need to get out there ASAP. The longer I stay here, the bigger the gap gets. There has to be more opportunities over there especially in the cities than here. I won't bore you with all the details about my struggle to gain employment here. All I'll say is that the only experience I've been able to get during the 3 years is a 9 month JobBridge Internship with a mobile phone shop (which I voluntarily took up). I couldn't even get one which was relevant to my degree: Accounting. Of course, there was no opportunity for me there when I finished. I stayed the full 9 months despite been treated like dirt because I needed that reference. Even after gaining this up to date retail experience I couldn't even get part-time work in shops. That's why I want out of here for a while.

Why should there be more opportunities over here?

There is an old saying
    "If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable." - Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Basically you need to know what you want to do out here a year working in a chipper in Sydney is no progress at all. If you want to be in accounting you need to be looking at that direction.

You need to answer this question "When I get to Oz I want to work in
    and as a result what will that get me?

Because if at the end of your 2 years you will be 5 years without an accounting job. You see what Im saying. Thats fine as long as you don't want to use your accounting degree.

That's not the case at all. As I've no Irish contacts out there, it would be nice to be joined by another Irish person to have as company when starting out. Someone to relate to and talk to if I felt homesick. I'm not afraid of meeting other nationalities, it's just that it would be a comfort to have 1 Irish contact available from the get-go so you know your not totally on your own in a foreign country.
    There is no shortage of the irish in Australia you don't need to import more. On your arrival in the first hostel you will find one.

If you get really homesick dont come here. Its miles away and you will not see your family and friends for a long time. Its a horrendous waste of money to here of irish young lads arriving in Oz and leaving in two weeks as its all strange to them and they miss girlfriend, friends, mammy etc...

So judging by your post, do you think I should leave it until January then? I still would like to start out in Sydney even if it was just for a week a two and then look into doing the fruit picking. If I can't get anyone to go with me, do you know of any hostels where the majority of Irish tend to stay when in Sydney?

Nope I don't have a clue but there are threads here recommending hostels.

Best of luck.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Just thought I'd share my experience for you here.
    I actually arrived in Sydney with a friend from home after 3 months of travelling S/E Asia. When it came to looking for work it became clear to me within the first few days that we would be going our separate ways very quickly as I was looking to get out and sample some regional work while he was content to look for work in his field in the city. Two weeks later I was off to regional NSW and my friend was still in Sydney trying to secure a dream job. I only saw him briefly again once during that year for a week.
    If your heart is truly set on trying the Oz experience then just go! I met many people on my travels who I now consider close friends, I even met my now wife in a remote roadhouse over 1000 kms east of Perth.
    It is tough at times travelling alone and you do get pangs of home-sickness but it sure beats sitting around on your arse in rainy Ireland!

Do you have any reccomendations for hostels in Sydney or regional work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Necrominus wrote: »
    ..... I even met my now wife in a remote roadhouse over 1000 kms east of Perth.
    roadhouse........east of Perth..........
    945213_595677933783245_318594872_n.jpg
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Do some research on locations for regional work, you could end up in a bad set up and get taken advantage of, particularly close to big cities, I'm doing mine at the moment doing solar installations for 30 bucks an hour, I flew from Sydney to Adelaide, bought a car and headed 700km down the coast and will probably stay on a couple of months after I get the 88 days done, cheap living in a nice area and a few quid coming in the door every week, happy out.

catbear wrote: »
    roadhouse........east of Perth..........
    945213_595677933783245_318594872_n.jpg
    :D
    Haha You're about 400km out! But I've been to kal, bought the engagement ring there!

Do you have any reccomendations for hostels in Sydney or regional work?

I'm no expert on either as I only spent 3 weeks in Sydney total! The YHA is very central to everything, you will meet a lot of people there and their job wall is updated almost every day! You also get your loyalty card which gives you money off all the other YHAs (and there are a lot) around Australia!
    With regards to the regional work I did spend a number of weeks Bourke but hated it. I didn't actually do any more regional! But spent 6 months in Balladonia Roadhouse! (Didn't count for regional but I wish it did!) I then worked up near Kununurra for another 2 and a half months in a little place called Turkey Creek!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 My_Sharona

scouser82 wrote: »
    In 3 years of unemployment did the thought never occur to you to start sitting your ACCA's which would make you far more attractive to potential employers? Depending on where you gained your degree you should expect to pick up some exemptions. It's not like you would have had to do all 14! Being unemployed is sh1t but there are things that can be done to make the situation better. Have you been sitting professional exams?

I wouldn't waste your time and money coming out here if that is the only reason you want to come. The accountancy market is pretty rubbish here. Can't speak for Sydney but there are arguably more opportunities in Dublin now than in Melbourne.

Save yourself the hassle, expense, soul destroying visa anguish, and the likely return back to Ireland by moving to the UK. Easier on the homesickness also.

This is good advice. If you want to start a career in accounting Dublin or the UK is a better place to do it. You could be a qualified accountant before you turn 30 and have the choice of staying in Aus/Canada/Ireland permanently. I qualified in Ireland last year and could've easily stayed on if I wanted. The accounting market out here is pretty tough and it's recently been taken off the WA skilled occupation list.

Have a look at the firms in the UK as well as Ireland. As far as I remember in the UK the Big 4 hire constantly rather than one milk run like in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CarolineCon

Hey, Im a 27 year old girl from Mayo and Im also planning on moving to Sydney around the first week of February. Im also planning on doing my regional as soon as I arrive as I want to get the work for 2nd year visa out of the way asap. I dont really know anyone over there so I will basically be going alone and it would be great if another Irish person is moving over around the same time!! Let me know if you want to meet up :);)

Hey, Im a 27 year old girl from Mayo and Im also planning on moving to Sydney around the first week of February. Im also planning on doing my regional as soon as I arrive as I want to get the work for 2nd year visa out of the way asap. I dont really know anyone over there so I will basically be going alone and it would be great if another Irish person is moving over around the same time!! Let me know if you want to meet up :);)

Yay! Finally someone who's in a similar situation to me :). I've just sent you a Private Message Caroline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Joe Gt

Have you looked on the job sites like seek.com.au to see if there is positions that you would apply for ? No harm in contacting some employers and see what can come of it before you commit to going

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

Flying into Sydney the first week of Jan on my own, looking for construction work.....I sure hope the work situation isn't as bad as this thread makes it out.

Advertisement