Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE Elective - Tax or Audit?

Options
  • 25-10-2013 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey,
    I am about to start FAE lectures and am having doubts about my choice of elective.

I hated MABF at CAP2 so I think APM as an elective is out.

I got the exact same mark (69) in Tax and Audit at CAP2 and plumped for the Audit elective at FAE but now I'm having doubts.

Audit can be fairly waffly and hard to study for, they can literally ask you anything on the day whereas I'm now thinking Tax might be "easier" as there are only so many scenarios they can give you and there is much more concrete stuff to study.

My initial thinking with Tax was that the standard might be very high (and therefore more difficult to pass) as I might be up against people who have done the tax exams and so I went for audit even though I don't particularly like it. Now I'm having doubts and as I still have time to change my elective I'd really appreciate any advice anyone an give me as to what might be the best option?

Thanks in advance!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭PhilipLuke

I went with the Tax Elective myself as I felt it is a very good area to have expertise in at the moment. With the Economy beginning to turn the corner and people beginning to spend again tax advisors will be invaluable to Accountancy firms going forward. I could'nt see myself working in Audit for the next few years as I find it quite monotonous.

You should pick whichever you prefer yourself, don't pick an elective on the basis that it might be easier, put in the work and you are well capable of getting your qualification, anyone who has got this far should be able for FAE's.

Advertisement