Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost to respray a Virago 535

• 25-10-2013 11:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

Had a quick search, nothing recent came up.

Wondering if anyone would have any idea, even ball park figure, of the cost to respray a Virago 535. Full colour change? Been keeping an eye on a few and one recently dropped it's price by almost 50% as he's desperate to get rid of it but its a fairly unattractive blue colour. Just wondering would it be feasible to spend savings on changing the colour?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I got a full colour change with some repairs and fitting of graphics (which I had to source myself separately) done for about €500 as a foxer on my old VT500E. It was a nice price for a professional job done to a decent standard, ie, not a show quality finish but fantastic value for money when I wasn't looking for perfection which I thought could cost at least double what I paid. The open areas where great but there were a couple of rough edges here and there. I stripped and reassembled the bike myself. It's all about reasonable expectations.

How much is the bike worth? How would you use it? If it's going to be a 'working' bike or commuter and you hated the colour, I'd consider getting busy with the satin black- no matter what colour it a 535 is, it's never going to have hoards of salivating bikers queuing up for it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

This the one?

View2-22639712.jpeg

Looks to me that it's just the tank and a few bits of fairing rather than a whole frame job but I don't know the bike at all.

One thing I do know about paintwork though is you get what you pay for. a cheap job will probably end up looking cheap.

That being said if you could do some of the prep work yourself, strip it and sand it down it might not cost a fortune to get done. Heck you could even give it a shot yourself if you were that way inclined. Or you could go down the road of a vinyl wrap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

The very one. It will be used as a commuter to and from work daily so I won't be entering it into shows or anything. Value wise it initially was up for about 1300 or 1400, he's looking for €750 now.

The frame is black already AFAIK so it's just the tanks, fenders and a side panel. I know enough of my way around a spanner that I would imagine I could take the panels off and sand em down and prep em myself. I wouldn't be looking for anything fancy, just a matt black paint job or something to a decent finish.

The vinyl wrap is possibly interesting. I've used that stuff on some PC projects and it turned out great. Not sure about a whole bike though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

..Brian.. wrote: »
    The frame is black already AFAIK so it's just the tanks, fenders and a side panel. I know enough of my way around a spanner that I would imagine I could take the panels off and sand em down and prep em myself. I wouldn't be looking for anything fancy, just a matt black paint job or something to a decent finish.

I'm new enough to biking myself but i've learned that this time of year is harder to sell a bike in, could go some way to explain the drop in price. That being said, if you aren't up to scratch on the mechanics side of things get someone who knows their stuff to look over it for you. Don't want any gremlins.

If you can do all the above yourself then go a step further and buy a couple of rattle cans from halfords, €50 would probably do you the whole bike.

Not sure if I would tackle the actual respray myself although now that I think about it I suppose I could be a cheap banged up fender online and test it out on that first.

Can anyone else chime in on an actual price? Also anyone know anyone around the Waterford or the South East area that's they recommend?

• Advertisement

Can anyone recommend someone for the job even? I'd like to make a few phone calls and see what sort of money we're talking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

..Brian.. wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend someone for the job even? I'd like to make a few phone calls and see what sort of money we're talking!
    http://www.motorcyclepaintshop.ie/get-a-quote.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Silent Shrill

I'm in Enniscorthy, a professional painter. If you were to strip the parts yourself, drop them into me, supply the paint, (to be discussed), I'd do the job for 200. Workmanship will be 100%. I have work here you can view.
    PM me if you're interested.

Thanks man, sounds very reasonable! Alas the bike is gone though, as is to be expected at that price. Unfortunately I had to pay rent last week and didn't have the cash to move on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

another option might be plastidip - similar idea to vinyl wrap, but applied in spray form. Dont like it, just peel it off

• Advertisement
Advertisement