Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vet bed?

• 25-10-2013 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

I just started hearing about how great this stuff is and wondering should I be getting some? Is it great because it's easy to clean etc.? My pup sleeps on a very soft comfy bed and seems to love it. Is there any point switching?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It's very hard wearing and washable - my two love it BUT for the pup I only put it one on side of the crate because she gets too warm. If there's a show near you or if you're going to pet expo you'll get it at a good price. Also if he's a yellow lab get the cream colour and you won't see the hairs ;) A word of warning though - there's a real difference between real vet bed from eg bronteglen and crappy imitation vet bed. I find the rubber backed one much better than the green backed one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

tk123 wrote: »
    It's very hard wearing and washable - my two love it BUT for the pup I only put it one on side of the crate because she gets too warm. If there's a show near you or if you're going to pet expo you'll get it at a good price. Also if he's a yellow lab get the cream colour and you won't see the hairs ;) A word of warning though - there's a real difference between real vet bed from eg bronteglen and crappy imitation vet bed. I find the rubber backed one much better than the green backed one..

Can it be bought for a decent price online anywhere?

TBH if I was buying online I'd only get it from Bronteglen - I have pieces of theirs and other places and the other stuff doesn't compare http://www.bronteglen.co.uk/bronteglenList.asp?cat=2&subcat=1&name=Active%20Non-slip%20Vet%20Bedding
    I've 2 sheets (well 3 now - the pup wee'd on 1 and I had to cut it in half to fit in the washing machine lol! :p) of Bronteglen vet bed I got 2 years ago and still perfect. 1 piece in the back of the car so mucky wet dogs on it and it's in great condition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

God that's gas, I hate the rubber-backed stuff! It takes much, much longer to dry and as the vet bed ages the backing begins to crumble off... Much prefer the green-backed stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

The green-backed stuff is much harder-wearing than the rubber. That being said, while both did pretty well for my Dobie, who is inclined to chew bedding, neither survives long with my mother-in-law's young rottie!

He doesn't go for people's clothes much when they leave it lying around, but completely destroyed his lovely Rogz bed (the old kind, tougher than the newer ones!), tends to shred Vet Bed, and also constantly tries to steal cushions to destroy! So basically it seems anything that could be construed as a bed is fair game. And most recently he tries to get hold of turf to chew! Main thing is, I've learned my lesson in time, and Lola's Rogz bed (same generation as Benny's ex-one) will no longer be coming with us to Donegal to visit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Only thing I don't like about the green backed is there's no grip. It will slide around the floor or crates where as the rubber backed one doesn't do that.
    The green back one deffo dries quicker.

I have some of each. I wouldn't use any other type of bedding now. Vet bed is brill!!

Yeah should have said I like the rubber backed stuff for the grip - we have wooden floors and I have a liner in the boot so the green would slide around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Do you know the anti-slip rubber that goes under floor mats? The same stuff you can put on your dash to stop your phone slipping off? That's what I put under the green-backed vet bed in the crates and it works like a charm. You can buy a roll of it very cheaply. I think I actually got it in the €2 shop last time. :)

Advertisement