Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booking flights before getting my visa

Options
  • 25-10-2013 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Hey guys do you reckon it's a bad idea to book flights before I get my visa? There is no reason why I should be refused a visa but I'm wondering if there is anyway to book flights with the option to get a refund if required? I assume it would cost extra but I wouldn't mind. My friend who is in Canada currently paid close to 900 for flights and I'm seeing direct flights currently online for 400. So if I can save a good chunk of money I wouldn't mind going and booking the flight tickets. Any suggestion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

If your application is delayed you will have endless anxiety as the departure date gets closer.
    Check what airlines have the lowest rebooking charges maybe
    Stick it out would be my advice

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

In relation to booking flights to Canada, is there anything required for booking? My auntie claims I need some documents in order to book a one way flight. Is this true? Or could I just book the flights and then await my visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭duiggers

You dont need any additional documents to book flights for Canada, just your passport. All the documents are needed when you arrive at immigration and want to get your working visa.
    I think you also have to book a return flight for the visa, well I had to when I received the visa back in 2012, in order to show you can leave the country when your visa expires.
    I agree with againstthetide best to wait it out until you get the visa or at least when you are a few weeks into stage 2 of the process cos delays inevitable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Return flight - the Canadian embassy says you must book a return flight OR have the cash reserve to do so. So, I wouldn't book a return for two years later.

I would book a return flight much sooner though. Have you compared the prices of single and return flights? We need a one way flight. Yet, they are crazy expensive Many people on here recommended booking a return, and simply not board. €1,200/2,000/3,000 flights dropped to €490-650 when you click return. I will be doing that too...

All of the airlines that I have checked with so far, don't allow changing of dates at all, not even for a fee. That applies to the cheaper fares of course, not first/business class which seem to.

The thing is, not all of us are flying at the same time. Some of us are ready and want to go in February / March when we get our visas so booking soon-ish doesn't seems so crazy vs. say June departure.

I wonder when the UK IEC is ready? Will there be more seats filled at the same time if going via London?

• Advertisement

Air Canada - I see some of the Tango fares are gone for flights in mid-Febraury. Last week, it said only a few seats left. Is that us Irish booking them up? :D

I had a look for a week later and it's about €50 more now. There are other airlines and other routes, but, is it too early to book? I don't want to book a few weeks beforehand and pay a fortune. Only one airline allows changing dates for a fee that I seen...:eek:

The visa is opening much earlier if this is correct.

Advertisement