Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about buying alcohol in Supermarkets

Options
  • 25-10-2013 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Just wondering, do most supermarkets have the policy that you have to be over 21 to buy alcohol? I'm 18 (just turned 18) and I'm going out tomorrow night and need to find somewhere where I can buy it. My brother used to be my go-to person but I wanna use my age card for the first time :P

Somewhere in town (e.g. Stephen's Green or O'Connell street areas) would be handy places for me. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

This is just made for me to annoy people who don't believe me :D

The only defence for an off license if they are caught having sold alcohol to someone under 18 is that they saw a garda age card. Thus some require this as ID and will only accept this as ID.

There is also the possibility that they will only sell alcohol to people over the age of 21/23 whatever and there are allowances for this in relation to discrimination.

Long story short shop around, but don't be surprised if a few people refuse to serve you.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭curlyclodagh

Bepolite wrote: »
    This is just made for me to annoy people who don't believe me :D

The only defence for an off license if they are caught having sold alcohol to someone under 18 is that they saw a garda age card. Thus some require this as ID and will only accept this as ID.

There is also the possibility that they will only sell alcohol to people over the age of 21/23 whatever and there are allowances for this in relation to discrimination.

Long story short shop around, but don't be surprised if a few people refuse to serve you.

Cheers for the reply! Sincerely hope Dunnes in Stephen's Green will serve me :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Give them a call and ask what their policy is. Easier than a wasted trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Supermarkets generally have the over 21 rule + garda age card.

There are loads of spar and londis in town that would serve you though, but would likely ask for garda age card, why are you looking to buy cans in town anyway? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭saralou2011

As long as you have the correct ID you'll be grand. Just don't have any of your friends without ID with you when buying the drink because they'll be asked too.

• Advertisement

I think the rule of thumb is that if you look under 21, they'll ID you. Don't understand why some places wouldn't accept a Passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I think the rule of thumb is that if you look under 21, they'll ID you. Don't understand why some places wouldn't accept a Passport.

See my post ref Garda Age Card.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

My place only takes passport/garda ID. Hate it when people come in with driving licences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

I've never been refused alcohol in supermarkets or shops with a age card even when I was 18. The Spar on Nassua street do cheap naggins if that's what your after.

Advertisement