Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor Tax - Business Expense

Options
  • 25-10-2013 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi

I have tried to find this information on citizens advice, revenue but can't get an answer.

I am a sole trader. Can I claim motor tax against my earnings (car is used 90% of the time for business)? It is not a commerical.

Thanks

Jack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Jacknory wrote: »
    Hi

I have tried to find this information on citizens advice, revenue but can't get an answer.

I am a sole trader. Can I claim motor tax against my earnings (car is used 90% of the time for business)? It is not a commerical.

Thanks

Jack

As far as I'm aware, you can claim a maximum of 85% of motor claims against tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

isnt it better to just charge mileage

charge at government rate per mile, cover servicing, fuel tax etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

stcstc wrote: »
    isnt it better to just charge mileage

charge at government rate per mile, cover servicing, fuel tax etc?

As a sole trader you cant claim mileage. You should claim for all the motor expenses in the profit and liss and then add back a personal element to the tax ajusted profits. You should also claim wear and tear on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

As far as I'm aware, you can claim a maximum of 85% of motor claims against tax.

Please - Stop saying that!! This is the 2nd or third thread in the last few months where you've trotted that out. The rule is "wholly and exclusively", there's no specific limit.

Please - Stop saying that!! This is the 2nd or third thread in the last few months where you've trotted that out. The rule is "wholly and exclusively", there's no specific limit.

So to put that simply Barney, if the OP is using his vehicle 90% for business, he can claim 90% against tax?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

So to put that simply Barney, if the OP is using his vehicle 90% for business, he can claim 90% against tax?

Yes.

But that level of business usage would have to be provable. If it was the person's only vehicle, and unless the job was one where they're on the road constantly, then it's hard to see how 85-90% could be justified.

Yes.

But that level of business usage would have to be provable. If it was the person's only vehicle, and unless the job was one where they're on the road constantly, then it's hard to see how 85-90% could be justified.

Thanks For clearing that up. Will note for future reference.

Advertisement