Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At home or abroad. ..

Options
  • 25-10-2013 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭

I love spending Christmas at home in Co Clare, having dinner with the family and meeting friends etc

Is there any where you would like to spend at least for one Christmas ?

Id love a Christmas week in New York or maybe Finland. ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Geomy wrote: »
    I love spending Christmas at home in Co Clare, having dinner with the family and meeting friends etc

There are plenty of places I'd love to visit leading up to Christmas but there is nowhere I would rather be on Christmas week than at home in Cork with my family and I swear as long as I live I will not spend it anywhere but here :)

Would love to visit Vienna though or New York in the weeks leading up to Christmas - both would be amazing I'd say! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would love to play in the toy shop from toy story and go skating in central park and see the huge christmas tree.
    I would also love to bring the kids to see Santa in Finland,they would love it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Hmm, I don't know about spending Christmas week anywhere, I like being at home for it! But I'd love to go to all sorts of places in the run up to it. Anywhere snowy and festive would suit me! We're heading to New York this year on the 2nd of December, and I cannot wait! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I would love to play in the toy shop from toy story and go skating in central park and see the huge christmas tree.
    I would love to see the tree in NYC!

If I had to spend Christmas in another country, just once, I'd love to spend it in Australia. Just to experience a sunny Christmas day on the beach- I think it would be surreal. A hot Christmas in another country wouldn't be my cup of tea at all in general but it'd be great to see what it would be like just one time for the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Oh New York definitely! And preferably in the Plaza hotel from Home Alone 2!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Geomy wrote: »

North Cork.
    A few pints Christmas Eve. (Don't over do it, plenty time)
    Christmas Day, Mass, Dinner, good walk. Meet up somewhere later with lads for Cards and drinks.
    Stephens Day, Point to Point or Limerick races
    Meet all before going again

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I live in London, and a few years ago I thought I was going to have to spend Christmas here due to the snow. My brother lived in London too so we’d said at least we’d be together, but his flight home was the day before mine and he got out before the airports were closed :( I really thought I was going to be stuck in my dingy flat by myself for Christmas day and I was devastated!

I love Christmas at home and will continue to go back for as long as it's feasible. Having said that I have friends who are going to New York for Christmas and it sounds like they're going to have a brilliant time there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

I've done New York both the week before Christmas (arrived home on the 24th) and the week after Christmas (flew out on the 26th and stayed for New Year)!

Went ice skating in Bryant Park, saw the rink and the tree at Rockefeller, walk through the snow in Central Park, the Christmas windows in Macys, Christmas sales everywhere....loved it all. They even have a sightseeing tour at night especially to show off the Christmas lights.

I'd go back again at that time of year in a heartbeat, but I don't know if I could be away on Christmas day itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Vienna is amazing for Christmas and New Year's.

Such a fabulous city. It has such a festive feel to it.

Pang wrote: »
    Vienna is amazing for Christmas and New Year's.

Such a fabulous city. It has such a festive feel to it.

Really want to go there - I've heard from a few people that it's a beautiful city:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

leahyl wrote: »
    Really want to go there - I've heard from a few people that it's a beautiful city:-)

It really is. I am so in love with it. I'm really jealous of my mother and brother who are going this year for Christmas.

If I could live there, I would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

paris id like

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

We went skiing in Austria for Christmas week about 6 years ago. It was truly magical but in fairness my whole family and a lot of my extended family came so was just like a home away from home! Skiing on Christmas Day was great fun!

One of my brothers lives in New York with his wife and this is the first year they can't come home :( so I think I wouldn't mind giving NY a go for Christmas.... Central Park and ice skating etc like it looks in the movies. If it's the same situation next year we were saying we would consider going out to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I have to go with the partner to his mother's in Clare. I love Clare, but her I could live happily without. I loathe Christmas. I love having kids that get to see what Santa got them, but stupid snide comments in the corner as my oldest opens his gifts drives me bananas. Then she gets some alcohol in!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Lived away for most of my adult life but nearly always return home for Christmas, my most favourite time of year. Nearly everyone is off at the same time so a session or two is always on the cards.

A few years back I did spend a Christmas and New years in Venice which was brilliant and one in Sydney which was weird. Without the cold and chance of snow, it isn't the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I've done Christmas with my brother and sister in laws family every year since my Mum passed away and while I like it, I'd still love to have MY Christmas, MY way, you know? In my own place, with my partner (she has to spend a lot of time with her family and they don't all know about me...) eating food I cook.

I wouldn't mind some year spending Christmas in New York alright. I don't think I could go somewhere hot. My Dad now goes away every year and he loves it. I'm too used to the idea of cold Christmas to give it up I reckon!!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

This will be my first Christmas in 26 years away from home :( Left Ireland 2 years ago but returned for Christmas. Unfortunately, I've no more annual leave left and can't get away.

This will be my first Christmas in 26 years away from home :( Left Ireland 2 years ago but returned for Christmas. Unfortunately, I've no more annual leave left and can't get away.

Aaaw you poor thing :( Try make the most of it and keep in touch with family and friends via Skype :)

Advertisement