Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrade to eFibre

Options
  • 25-10-2013 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm living in Gorey and I'm curently on your 8 Mb broadband package. I would like to upgrade to eFibre. When I log into eircom.net it tells me the fastest rate available is up to 24 Mb, but when I start to fill out the forms it says I can upgrade to eFibre 50 or 70 Mb. How can I find out the correct answer, and what's the easiest way to upgrade?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

ITDept wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm living in Gorey and I'm curently on your 8 Mb broadband package. I would like to upgrade to eFibre. When I log into eircom.net it tells me the fastest rate available is up to 24 Mb, but when I start to fill out the forms it says I can upgrade to eFibre 50 or 70 Mb. How can I find out the correct answer, and what's the easiest way to upgrade?
    Thanks.

Hi ITDept,

Would you like to PM me your details and I'll look into this for you?

Thanks

Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

Hi,

I have PMd you with my details.

Thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Hi,

I have PMd you with my details.

Thanks for your help.

Perfect, thank you for those details.

I've sent you a PM there.

Thanks

Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

Thanks Tracey. Would the easiest way to proceed be to finish filling out the order online?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Thanks Tracey. Would the easiest way to proceed be to finish filling out the order online?
    btw ask them to check at the exchange what is the max your house can get before you upgrade I am in arklow and they have the max set at 25mb, it is unlikely you will get anywhere near 50 or 70, Just to add balance to the ads they have out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 aubreybourke

Hi,
    Thanks.
    Great to see that someone is thinking right about the state of broadband in the country.

The whole design of the Computers market is designed to milk the customer.
    First, you pay 100 euros a month for Broadband.
    Then you pay 500 euros every few years for each device: pc, laptop, tablet, phone.
    Then you need the software for each system which will cost around 50 euros each.
    Right down to the 1dollar apps on your smart phone.

Just taking the potential of the broadband: 100euros a month mutiplied by the population is: 100x3million=300million. Thats 300million x12month=  3.6 billion a year!

Broadband must be the most profitable service in the world. Its one thing to pay 100 quid. But a subscription really is a hungry wolf.

Now if that money was spent on Eircom, the money is spent paying wages mostly. So your Irish management, Irish Marketing, Irish Advertising, Irish Accountancy, Irish Legal, and Irish staff for every other department all take their share and spend it from within their own economy.

Naturally UPC are on top for a reason and that is because they provide the best service at sell this very aggressively. I don't mean violently (sorry upc). But they did establish a competitive reputation.

However, I think Eircom are doing better now with the eFibre package. Nobody else threw in a free mobile phone in their bundle. So its the right attitude. Moreover, you are buying a reputable brand, and you cant put a price on that. Even though the broadband speed is about half of UPC, its plenty for the home user. In fact if you are using wireless you wont get above that on UPC or anywhere. 200Mbit+ is only achievable with a network cable or power-line adapter. Wireless doesn't go above 70mbit on your laptop/tablet/phone!

I was just thinking about UPC's latest device called the "horizon box". This is what they are selling now to replace their standard cisco home router. So it seems they are really delivering based on the home user market demands.

If Eircom took the initiate to provide enterprise services for home users they could potentially gain some competitive advantage. Business services include: 1000Mbit broadband with a powerful cisco router, A hardware firewall, A cisco VOIP phone, A fax service, An answering machine, maybe some wmware networking software, etc Its the best stuff on the planet and if they could deliver at least some of it in their bundles maybe they could win more?

Sorry for going on a bit here. Main thing is user "IT Dept" from Gorey is a good example buying into the Eircom deal on Broadband. 

Aubrey Bourke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi ITDept

You can proceed online however you also have the option to sign up by contacting sales on free phone 1800503303.

Thanks

Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi, 

I'm based in enniscorthy and the coverage map says eFibre is available but when I enter my eircom phone number I get the message "Sorry, we are unable to determine if your home is fibre enabled". Anyone else have this problem? Just started a new business so I'm eager to get set up!
    Thanks
    [font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sorry, we are unable to
    determine if your home is fibre-enabled[/font]

[font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sorry, we are unable to
    determine if your home is fibre-enabledSorry, we are unable to[/font]

[font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]determine if your home is fibre-enabled[/font]

Hi sparkles101

Thanks for your interest, Unfortunately not all lines within the highlighted area will be able to avail of an upgrade to efibre. There is a message located below the coverage map stating:

"The map is for illustrative purpose only and not all homes within the efibre area can avail of the service. Specific address must be checked to ensure efibre can be supplied."

efibre rollout is set continue over the coming months and years however feel free to PM me your landline number and I'll check for further information regarding efibre availability to your line.

Thanks

Al

Advertisement