Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Police seize 3d Printed gun parts

Options
  • 25-10-2013 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Saw this over on the RTE website. Usual scaremongering when you read the report that they may have a plastic magazine and trigger, which put together make parts for a viable gun, don't know how you would shoot it without all of the other parts like a barrel for instance. Makes a good scary story and no doubt when it transpires it is for a toy there will be no further report. Now this new "threat" is identified expect to see legislation soon.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1025/482611-uk-3d-printed-gun/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Seems they seized parts of the printer.

You have to worry , some these guys use firearms as part of their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

the dont require a metal barrel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK55GSbSWQ0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

oh and i remember reading about these a long time ago....the gun they were printing needed one part that could not be printed and these could be bought legaly on ebay as technically they were "paper weights" and very cheap as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Of course, it's as well to remember that actuallu making parts for a firearm, with intent to make a firearm, is a very serious offence here in yUK with a distinct possiblity of earning a ten-year jail sentence.

It is highly unlikely that we are looking at parts for an illegal firearm here. More worrying is that the gentleman concerned has had his airguns seized - he IS an active member of a neighbouring air weapons shooting club with registration and membership documents to back up his claims of being a legitimate shooter of this type of gun.

Mind you, this is Manchester, where a 'certain element of the population' go armed on a daily basis to 'protect' themselves from another 'certain element of the population'.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Hmmm..Do I see another Mick Shepard,"operation Trident" fukup in the making???:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Hmmm..Do I see another Mick Shepard,"operation Trident" fukup in the making???:rolleyes:

For those who don't know.

http://www.micksguns.com/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6223750.stm

There was a senior copper on channel 4 news tonight admitting they had jumped the gun, he looked a bit embarrassed to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

I'd be more worried about a guy with a milling machine and a lathe in the basement rather than a printer.

3-D printing will become one way of manufacturing parts just as machining and moulding. Seen printed bottom metals for hunting rifles recently, quality wasn't bad.
    edi

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

rowa wrote: »
    For those who don't know.

http://www.micksguns.com/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6223750.stm

There was a senior copper on channel 4 news tonight admitting they had jumped the gun, he looked a bit embarrassed to be honest.

Yep, I found that web site a long time ago before I was a member here. Mick the Innocent. The guy that impressed me also was his solicitor, or was it his barrister, or attorney? Anyway, that guy was impressive. Mick doesnt have a link to his office anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Real kicker was that the usually anti gun SUN newspaper actually campaigned for Mick Shepards innocence.His story is well worth reading by anyone who owns a gun or is involved with them..

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

ejg wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about a guy with a milling machine and a lathe in the basement rather than a printer. edi

Dat'll be meself, then! :D

I have TWO lathes AND a milling machine AND dozens of precision hand tools, all of them suitable and well able to be used to make a pistol or a sub-machine gun.

Thank the Lord I'm only interested in building my little steam trains, eh? Can't be assed to make a gun, me, so I've bought all mine ready-made. That way I know they won't blow up in my face.

tac

PS - to see said trains, get on to YouTube and type in tac's trains or tac's guns or, if you are really bored, tac's cars. That'll teach ya.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think Airbus already use metal printed parts for some of their planes.
    3D printed metal parts are used to make parts in Nuclear reactors out of very expensive metals that can handle the extreme heat inside the reactors, there is almost zero waste with the printing process as opposed to casting or forging.
    It will only get cheaper for 3D printers as the tech trickles down.

I don't see the big deal about printing anyway, its much easier for criminals to bring in a load of whatever they fancy with the contraband they import anyway,

I can't see a criminal sitting down in a room and programming a 3D printer to make a load of parts to make a pistol when they can buy one cheaply and easily from another criminal.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I can't see a criminal sitting down in a room and programming a 3D printer to make a load of parts to make a pistol when they can buy one cheaply and easily from another criminal.

Nail hit firmly on head.

tac

The whole thing is a non-story. The media over here is following the american model of trying to induce panic and terror with made up "won't someone please think of the children" stories.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I think Airbus already use metal printed parts for some of their planes.
    3D printed metal parts are used to make parts in Nuclear reactors out of very expensive metals that can handle the extreme heat inside the reactors, there is almost zero waste with the printing process as opposed to casting or forging.
    It will only get cheaper for 3D printers as the tech trickles down.

I don't see the big deal about printing anyway, its much easier for criminals to bring in a load of whatever they fancy with the contraband they import anyway,

I believe the american military use metal printing alot, especially when stationed in remote outposts where spare parts are difficult to obtain. But the sting is the price, a metal printer costs in the region of $250,000.

No doubt we'll eventually see a metal printer illegally made on a metal printer by a CAD-expert operator specially for the use of people to take six weeks to illegally make guns that only fire one shot, instead of the usual way of acquiring anything from a Makarov to a Skorpion full-auto submacnine gun - down in Dublin Docks of a saturday night behind the container stack, out of the back of a truck from Bulgaria or some other a$$hole eastern European plaguehole, for a couple of hundred euros.

tac

Please note that the manufacturer of this M1911-look-alike is a fully-licensed FFL, not some oik in a backstreet garage looking over his shoulder.

There is also the little matter of having the various grades of raw material - not easily obtainable from O'Grady's DIY store in Ballygombeen.

AND a pattern firearm.

AND springs, if you want to replicate a semi-auto.

But, as has been pointed out a gazillion times before, all that is needed to make a viable sub-machinegun is a kitchen vice, a few hand tools - hacksaw, files, drills et al - and you're away. The museum in Laddas Drive Belfast had many examples - all of them perfectly acceptable killing devices made out of scrap for pennies.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

The nail has been massively hit on the head here by a few lads.

What's the issue with a 3D plastic printer that can print components for a simple hardly useful pistol when the world is awash with black market weaponry ?

It's all out there from a stolen sawn off shotgun to good as new heavy machine guns with a few million rounds into the bargain for the buyer with sufficient cash and that's only firearms.

There's enough failed states on this planet where just about everything is for sale for comparatively little money.

Advertisement