Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fluke in sheep

Options
  • 25-10-2013 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Was going dosing the sheep the other day for fluke but decided id send away a lock of dung samples first to see would anything come back from it. Anyways got results today and they all came back negative for both rumen and liver fluke.
    Was just wondering does anyone else do this and is it reliable? We would have always dosed around now and then again when were houseing them but might just put it off now till were putting them in. What are peoples thoughts on this? Its kinda bothering me that their not done but maybe i should put more faith in the results? Cheers eire23

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

AFAIK (which isn't very far regarding fluke), dung samples aren't reliable like they are for worms. You could have fluke in the sheep not producing eggs (I think it's eggs) that would be picked up in the dung. I dosed mine yesterday, ram out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eire23

That makes sense alright so i would imagine yer bang on. What kind of a dose did ya use conmaicne? See the list of doses on the journal this week in the sheep section by darren carty? Very handy to have, must cut it out and keep it to hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I find it hard to get my head around the fluke life cycle in a practical on farm sense to be honest. I don't send lambs to the factory so I don't have the advantage of getting reports from them on liver condition. I think it's possible for resistance to develop, like with worm doses but don't hold me to that.

I used Tribex yesterday, the active ingredient is triclabendazole, this is the Data sheet for Tribex. Sites like Agridirect, and Magentadirect will have data sheets for various doses etc.

http://www.scops.org.uk/ is another good site, and Teagasc also have good information if you Google search.

I had intended using Trodax which has a different active ingredient, but it came raining just as I was about to start so instead of injecting with Trodax I dosed with Tribex.

I have another few bits on fluke here somewhere, think in paper form, if I remember to look for them later I'll scan them for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

eire23 wrote: »
    That makes sense alright so i would imagine yer bang on. What kind of a dose did ya use conmaicne? See the list of doses on the journal this week in the sheep section by darren carty? Very handy to have, must cut it out and keep it to hand
    Do you ever ask the factory to look at the livers when you sell cull ewes.

rancher wrote: »
    Do you ever ask the factory to look at the livers when you sell cull ewes.

No rancher never askesd specifically but thought the factory might put it on the kill sheet if the livers were badly affected? Have some culls going in the next week or two so will mention it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

eire23 wrote: »
    No rancher never askesd specifically but thought the factory might put it on the kill sheet if the livers were badly affected? Have some culls going in the next week or two so will mention it.

In Camolin (ICM) we have to ask them to do it, we write 'check livers' on the despatch docket if our coordinator isn't there and it gets done, otherwise no

Cheers rancher, all ours go to navan so hopefully their the same

Advertisement