Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Commuter Bikes (600cc+)

• 25-10-2013 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, Crashed the fazer at the start of the summer, its gone the way of the dodo.

All healed up now, and got the finances to get back in the saddle. So back into the market. Been looking around and can't decide which bike to get.

For silly reasons I'm writing off the SV650, CBF600 and Fazer 600, i don't wanna ride them as i already had a fazer, and two friends have the others. (i know, silly reason) I realize this frees up the Bandit, which i hear is not to far off the fazer and a good all rounder, but i'd like to see what other options there are in the class.

I've been eyeing up Honda Deauvilles, I do like the option of the side panniers and the extra weather protection, but its a bit wide and i don't wanna have to restrict my filtering. But, it might not be as bad as i imagine, anyone wanna share their experience? Any other suggestions for reliable and cost efficient bikes?

Budget is 2-3k, i will not consider moped and scooters.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Deavilles are not as bad as you think. If the handlebars to, then the panniers will go through the gap too.

Wide panniers get mixed reviews. They affect filtering, and many complain about the instability they introduce at motorway speeds.

I commute cross city most days at peak hours, and the Deauville is fine. Not as nimble as the Super4 I had, but more than made up for my comfort and protection from the elements.

With a top box and 2 panniers, you cab store a weeks worth of gear, plus the laptop and more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Jaden wrote: »
    Deavilles are not as bad as you think. If the handlebars to, then the panniers will go through the gap too.

Wide panniers get mixed reviews. They affect filtering, and many complain about the instability they introduce at motorway speeds.

I commute cross city most days at peak hours, and the Deauville is fine. Not as nimble as the Super4 I had, but more than made up for my comfort and protection from the elements.

With a top box and 2 panniers, you cab store a weeks worth of gear, plus the laptop and more.

Thanks, yeah I think the GF will feel much safer on a deauville with a top box. Even if that safety is just an illusion :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Hawkeye1

Hornet 600, Bandit 600

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

SV 650, one of your friends is right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Chris Dolmeth

Monster 620?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Yamaha MT-03

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

What about an ER6F? I use mine to and from Dublin, great noise, great economy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

What about a faired hornet? The Cb600s... I'm thinking of getting one of these as my next bike for commuting around Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Aprilia Shiver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

While a fine bike a Deauville may feel underpowered to you compared to the Fazer. Test ride plenty of bikes and get whichever one you feel is best.

It's a buyer's season now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

I have a 99 fazer and took out a school bandit 06 for my IBT part 2. I found it very plastically and cheap compared to the fazer. Also felt top heavy to me lacked a lot of feel. Trottle is way way smoother on fazer, even instructor noted that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

Fz1 - moaarrrr powaarr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Er6n is a great bike, had one over 6 years, cudnt fault it or recommend it enough.
    Mt03 is a good call too, I really like them.
    I've a 98 transalp 600 now, that wud be a good option too, tho its a completely different style than you are used to id say. Tall forks, and traillie tyres and style take a bit of getting used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

ER6F is good. It was my last bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I've found filtering in town traffic a bit more difficult on the Deauville the few times I've ventured in. In between cars is fine, it's when you're in stopped traffic and need to move around the front of a car to filter up the other side that I find the problem. That being said I drive the m50 every day and it's just as easy to filter as it was on the Bandit 600.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Watched a three wheeler yoke with two small bicycle wheels up front today. As someone into bikes and the old ways this just didn't do it for me. Having said that it was nippy and proved a purpose albeit you won't be heading off to Europe on it.

What are they and what's the feedback from them folks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Sounds like the Piaggio MP3. Very agile little yokes from what I have seen. Seem very stable in most conditions too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

positron wrote: »
    Fz1 - moaarrrr powaarr!

+1 to this...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I might actually consider just getting another fazer, i feel like im not done with the bike yet since my relationship with it was cut short. :mad:

I ride a Fazer too, and my 2 year restriction ends next month, so I have been looking around for that 'next bike'. Currently in the running are VFR800, NC700S, FZ1, CBR600F & 954, but I know the last two is going to hurt my back, and VFR my wallet... I would love NC700S for the practicalities like economy and tank storage thingee but I am afraid I will get bored of it real soon and/or get drenched on the motorway. I can't fault FZ1 except I do fancy a change from Fazer family. The real problem is that Fazer is such a good bike, it's hard to find something to better it (in affordable price range that is).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 blondie990

Would you consider a GSR600 or GSR750? Few nice ones on donedeal over the last few months.
    I ride a Fazer too, and my 2 year restriction ends next month, so I have been looking around for that 'next bike'. Currently in the running are VFR800, NC700S, FZ1, CBR600F & 954, but I know the last two is going to hurt my back, and VFR my wallet... I would love NC700S for the practicalities like economy and tank storage thingee but I am afraid I will get bored of it real soon and/or get drenched on the motorway. I can't fault FZ1 except I do fancy a change from Fazer family. The real problem is that Fazer is such a good bike, it's hard to find something to better it (in affordable price range that is).

If the OP hasn't sat his full test, I think that the NC700S falls outside the minimum output for the full licence. I think it's output is 35kw or so and at the moment you need to sit the full test on a bike with an output of at least 40kw and I think that's increasing to 50kw - not sure when.
    Just something to bear in mind if you haven't sat your test yet OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

What year was your last fazer? And what kind of budget are you setting for yourself?

I've a foxeye fazer so it has the larger 22l tank which makes it dead handy for commuting, averaging about 48mpg usually don't have to fill up until i've passed the 200 mile mark, can stretch a tank to 3 weeks sometimes. Add in the large givi topbox and there's nothing the fazer can't do for commuting.

Vikings wrote: »
    can stretch a tank to 3 weeks sometimes

Ouch, a Fazer tank full of dino juice lasts me 4 days. I am commuting way too far :(

would you not just unrestrict yours ? will be like a new bike again, Ive been throught it, it would be pretty insane jusmping straight from a 33hp to a FZ1,
    Fazers kick ass, i did 12000km on mine touring during the summer, never missed a beat, then it tried to kill me on a small spin to sligo. but thats a different story

lol, I am considering that too, but I am just itchy for something different after doing nearly 40k miles over last 2.5 years. You are right though, Fazers are really underrated - great bikes.

you should at least give it a spin with the restriction out, whole new animal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Deauville with a top box has great road presence / visibility to cars. Get a white one and look like a cop if you want. Mine isn't but just an idea.

abs on the newer ones and back box acts as a back rest to passenger.

Nice visor keeps wind off you.

Very low maintenance with crank shaft. Couldnt be arsed with a chain bike ever again.

City panniers as standard, wider county panniers available.

It you drop it on a flat surface side fins at either side protect the bike as they are the widest point.

Very practical bike. Good resale value. Very stable with as much power as I want.

Myself any the othe half have done 170 KM on motorways and totally stable at that and could go faster.

In wet weather the bike doesn't through up water at you, very good design that been perfected over a long time on this model. Low central gravity. Suspension adjustable.
    It can be slammed into speed ramps and just glides over them, just hit the front brakes a bit to pull down the suspension down before you hit the bump and she glides over, if you get out of the saddle it helps.

The road presence is excellent, it's difficult not to see it.
    I ocassionally have out put one hand back flat palm to signal to a tail gaiter to back off and without fail cars Fcuk off.

Great practical comfortable bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Deuville is pure hard work for filtering through traffic. Hard and expensive to work on. Had a Varadero and now a kawasaki ER6f and have not looked back. 70mpg on long runs so am happy out

Advertisement