Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astec Alarm - How to disable and can I upgrade it?

Options
  • 25-10-2013 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭

I have an Astec alarm in the house, was here when I got here. Was installed in '99 so is fairly old. Anyway, today for no reason it started going off randomly. For the past hour it's been going off every 10 mins or so.. It has an error code 14 - call engineer but that's been on it for months.

Is it possible to disable/disconnect the alarm? If so how? How can I find the model number for it.. dont see it anywhere.

Also, is it possible to upgrade the system. It's a wired alarm, all of the wiring and sensors look to be in very good condition. Would like to have a monitored alarm that will ring/text etc. if it goes off etc. etc.

Is this something I could do myself or worth getting someone in to do it?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi
    To power this panel down:
    Remove the top lid by turning the 2 plastic screws to vertical & pull the top lid towards you.
    Check to see if the mains fuse removed with the lid, The orange neon light will go off.
    Locate the battery link to the right of the very last bell terminal & pull this off the 2 pins. At this stage the keypad should be blank & the outside bell may be ringing.Replace the lid without the fuse & without replacing the battery link.
    The external bell will silence within 20 minutes or so.
    Depending on the wiring you could possibly use most if not all of it for a new system.Newer systems come with wireless as well so that gives you plenty of flexability with the existing wiring as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

KoolKid wrote: »
    Hi
    To power this panel down:
    Remove the top lid by turning the 2 plastic screws to vertical & pull the top lid towards you.
    Check to see if the mains fuse removed with the lid, The orange neon light will go off.
    Locate the battery link to the right of the very last bell terminal & pull this off the 2 pins. At this stage the keypad should be blank & the outside bell may be ringing.Replace the lid without the fuse & without replacing the battery link.
    The external bell will silence within 20 minutes or so.
    Depending on the wiring you could possibly use most if not all of it for a new system.Newer systems come with wireless as well so that gives you plenty of flexability with the existing wiring as well.

Cheers man... that did the job, turns out father in law cut through one of the cables earlier, only noticed it after I disconnected the alarm.

Can you recommend any alarms and/or alarm fitters? I think the wiring we have covers near enough everything in the house. Would be handy to be able to add smoke alarms to the main system and the remote access etc...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

unklerosco wrote: »
    Cheers man... that did the job, turns out father in law cut through one of the cables earlier, only noticed it after I disconnected the alarm.

Can you recommend any alarms and/or alarm fitters? I think the wiring we have covers near enough everything in the house. Would be handy to be able to add smoke alarms to the main system and the remote access etc...
    Take a look at the sticky there are some installers there and a link to the PSA register.

Advertisement