Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should I know when buying a second hand house - first time buyers

Options
  • 25-10-2013 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi guys I'm looking for advice what we are first time buyers.
    - What taxes fees I should expect to pay (what is the procentage)
    - What surveyor do I need (do I need them at all? and are they accountable for doing bad work)
    - Do I need solicitor (what for?)
    - What documents should I ask for, from previous owner

what any other things should we be looking for/aware of

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

1% stamp duty, land registry fees.

You need a solicitor, check around for prices, most charge a flat fee + all their direct costs. They will handle all the documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ani_mal wrote: »
    - What taxes fees I should expect to pay (what is the procentage)
    You will pay 1% stamp duty on the transaction, any property taxes outstanding will need to be paid also. The solicitor will also pay stamp duty on some of the documents.
    - What surveyor do I need (do I need them at all? and are they accountable for doing bad work)
    Preferably a building surveyor. If there are obvious structural problems, a structural engineer may be more suited.

They are accountable for their work, but that is only really useful if they have insurance. However, they can't do magic and no vendor will let them do opening up work.
    - Do I need solicitor (what for?)
    Only solicitors can do conveyances. Solicitors fees usually exclude some expenses, which you will also need to pay. Make sure the solicitor does an estimate of what the total bill will be.
    - What documents should I ask for, from previous wner
    Planning permission and as-built drawings, details of any equipment, manuals, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

Victor wrote: »
    You will pay 1% stamp duty on the transaction, any property taxes outstanding will need to be paid also. The solicitor will also pay stamp duty on some of the documents.
    Preferably a building surveyor. If there are obvious structural problems, a structural engineer may be more suited.

They are accountable for their work, but that is only really useful if they have insurance. However, they can't do magic and no vendor will let them do opening up work.
    Only solicitors can do conveyances. Solicitors fees usually exclude some expenses, which you will also need to pay. Make sure the solicitor does an estimate of what the total bill will be.
    Planning permission and as-built drawings, details of any equipment, manuals, etc.

Thank you for the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

GET a full structural survey if the house is more than 30 years old,
    make sure he has insurance.
    They examine all the property,
    including ,the attic ,roof,
    AND they,ll give you an estimate ,cost of repairs ,if theres items that need fixing, eg dry rot, broken roof tiles.
    Pay attention to the boundarys of the property ,as in older houses ,with back gardens ,these
    are not always obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

OP I would recommend that you ask if there has been any claims for flooding on their insurance policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

We're buying a house thats under 20 years old and we opted for a full structural survey. I would recommend this on any property being purchased, never mind over 30 years old.

Go to a registered company with Indemnity Insurance.

You get a 40-60 page report on the property outlining visible issues. I stress visible because they don't open up the walls to look etc. It has proven very useful to us. They will also check for boundary issues and they made a number of recommendations to us to go to the seller that were useful.

Advertisement