Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone eFibre questions

• 25-10-2013 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi all,

I ordered vodafone efibre today and have a few questions that people might help me with..

Will an engineer have to call to me to modify my main socket..
    Will a new type of cable have to be used inside my house. My problem is that I don't have a power point near the main socket..

What type if modem will I get.

Thanks to all in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Goodness me !!! You're after ordering efibre from Voda and you did'nt ask them those questions??????

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Jimmyireland

Goodness me !!! You're after ordering efibre from Voda and you did'nt ask them those questions??????

Yep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Generally an engineer visit is required. You need a new socket to be installed, and you also need a new VDSL modem.
    How do you currently power the modem? (assuming that you already have an internet connection)

If it's a case of the socket being next to the front door or something and no power points. Ideally the modem should be as near as possible to the socket - you could just get an power extension lead, or you could do a network cable run from the socket to wherever you want to put the modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Jimmyireland

Generally an engineer visit is required. You need a new socket to be installed, and you also need a new VDSL modem.
    How do you currently power the modem? (assuming that you already have an internet connection)

If it's a case of the socket being next to the front door or something and no power points. Ideally the modem should be as near as possible to the socket - you could just get an power extension lead, or you could do a network cable run from the socket to wherever you want to put the modem.

Thanks for the reply..it would be easier to do the network cable run. What cable is used. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

According to the price plans for installation, you're supposed to be able to order an extension when you order, or from the engineer when they visit. Though it seems to be a substantial charge for what's involved.

The simplest solution is just a standard phone extension cable, but as I said that's not ideal. Standard phone cable is just two copper wires, rubbish compared to networking cable like cat 5 of 6.

Best bet would probably be just to get the engineer to install the extension, unless you know how to crimp your own rj11/rj45 network cables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ofcork

Im using standard phone cable and have no bother,the same cable has been used for the last 5 or 6 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Modem is Huawei HG658c

Advertisement