Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "come-all-ya" genre

Options
  • 25-10-2013 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Just wondering about the usage of this word or genre to describe fun songs with less-than-serious lyrics.
    I've heard it said in the west of Ireland, but never seen it in print.

Have I the name correct?

Classic examples of a "come-all-ya" would be Brendan Shine's "Do you want your old lobby washed down" or Seamus Moore's "Transit Van".

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

A "Come all ye" to me is a ballad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

A "Come all ye" to me is a ballad.

Agreed.

Probably comes from Foster and Allen's 'Come all ye maidens young and fair...".

I'm not sure what you'd call Seamus Moore's stuff: Comedy meets country n' Irish? Pantomime? A bit a craic? I don't think I've ever heard a specific genre name being given to it.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Advertisement