Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congestion in NGB?

Options
  • 25-10-2013 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

I usually get in 11-13 mb/s without any problems, but 1.5 hrs ago my speed started to fluxuate between 3-4mb/s in.

My linestats are as follows:

DSL Mode : ITU G.992.5(ADSL2PLUS)
    Speed: 11284 kbps/765 kbps
    Line Attenuation(Down/Up): 29.9 dB/ 15.5 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 6.5 dB/ 15.9 dB

Modem seems to be syncing fine.
    The modem had red internet light for 5 mins, and then it turned green when i was on the phone to the tech. support. The guy told me after disconnecting everything else etc, that my line is disconnecting etc, and he needs to send a tech, that will arrive next week.

To eliminate possible computer faults, i did the test with several browsers, Mac computer, Windows computer, Windows mobile and Android Tablet, same results.

Even if my line is syncing with good speeds, Eircom speedtest only shows 3-4 mb/s in (connected w cable).

Can this be a case of congestion that shouldnt exist in NGB products?

I also have some wireless performance issues that goes away when connecting 3rd party modem, and sent email to Eircom tech.support like 3 weeks ago, no answer, just the case nr, and the support person today didnt see any remarks on that on their systems.

Also i have sent an email to the complaints department reg. compensation of the downtime etc 10th october, but havent received any answer :(

EDIT

Did a 2nd reboot, line stats after that:

broadband: Connected
    DSL Mode : ITU G.992.5(ADSL2PLUS)
    Speed: 12966 kbps/765 kbps
    Line Attenuation(Down/Up): 34.4 dB/ 15.5 dB

Line Attenuation seems to be gone worse.. seems to be linefault?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

Just saw an another thread here with similar issue in Ratoath (issue with some hub in Citywest). Im located 5km from Ratoath, could this be the same issue..

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057043309

And did a new speedtest this morning, speeds are back to normal..seems to be congestion..
    Eircom reps, can you update fault reference 11963505 with this information please?

I have to say that im positively surprised..Eircom engineer just called and came to change the socket, modem etc, and asked me to contact tech.support to lower the speed littlebit. Did that, and now monitoring the situation for a week.

I didnt know that the engineers are working at the weekends :)

I didnt catch his name, but if its possible to find it, a big thanks to him is at place, he was really friendly and knew where the fault might be, and even got an update of eFibre :)(and he installed the new faceplate aswell)

:)

and the results are still the same.. at the daytime, the speeds are around 9 meg, even with profile lowered down to 10 mb.

And at the evenings, usually around 7pm, im getting 2-3mb/s

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3063433141

(tested with one computer, direct ethernet connection, Eircoms own speedtest is giving similar results)

This needs to be investigated further, the engineer said that there is no errors in the line, so i can only assume that this is an congestion issue that should not happen in NGB.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im less than 500m from the exchange and i regularly see slowdown between 8pm and 11pm on 24 mb NGB.
    Its definitely congestion as its absolutely flawless outside of these hours.
    I only test with my PC online and nothing else.
    The reps here said they cannot assist me, ringing support doesnt help either.
    I was guaranteed congestion free up to 24mb when i signed up.

Im on the Monasterevin exchange in CO Kildare.

Yet again i will more than likely have to cancel eircom for not providing me with the service i pay for.
    This latest issue is the latest in a string of issues , two issues in particular took 7 months and 9 months of hounding eircom that the exchange had an issue, everyone and i mean everyone i spoke to said there are no issues only for both occasions to eventually result in a dodgy card located in the exchange.
    7 months the first time, 9 months the second time!!!!!! absolutely shocking what i had to go through to get it sorted.

I posted about both issues here,absolutely disgraceful how long both these took to get sorted.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52709096

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67850579

Heres my speedtest results from just now tonight :(

This is meant to be congestion free? i was guaranteed so.
    I am so sick of eircom at this stage, this is ongoing for 2 months now, the service was flawless for many months previously after our exchange upgraded to NGB.
    My neighbours are having the same issue but they dont game like me so dont notice as much.

3063626109.png

Heres my results from just now, this is congestion 100%.

3064571801.png

Ive spoken to KFM Kildare local radio about this issue in a bid to highlight it and and they asked me to monitor the situation and keep them up to speed.

• Advertisement

Here are my results from this morning, working as normal again

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3064646445

Clear case of congestion, the profile is set to 10 mb/s

Eircom: We need some answers here please

Just to summarise:

1) No line fault found, line is capable for 15 mb/s as per engineer
    2) Modem changed
    3) Socket changed to the new eFibre model. All cables changed. Other equipment disconnected.
    4) Speed is ok on the morning and early evenings
    5) Speed is going down around 7pm and returning to normal at the early morning
    6) All speedtests done via direct ethernet connection with Mac, Windows, Android and Windows Mobile. All giving the same results

= Congestion issue

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3066006753

slightly better this evening.
    Im sure that Eircom reps missed to comment this thread by mistake, since all other threads were taken care of today..

Slowing down for me since 9pm :(
    Just spoke to two gamer friends in the area and the same for them.

Did a new a speed test, down to 2.8 mb/s :(

and at 7.15am speeds are back to normal
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3066780849

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

finnteme wrote: »
    and at 7.15am speeds are back to normal
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3066780849
    Hi finnteme

I've conducted many tests on your line this morning and I'm unable to identify an issue which could be causing your slow speeds in the evening.

The best advice I can offer from here is to contact the broadband technical support department on 1890260260 when the slow speeds occur.

Thanks

Al

Dcully wrote: »
    Im less than 500m from the exchange and i regularly see slowdown between 8pm and 11pm on 24 mb NGB.

Yet again i will more than likely have to cancel eircom for not providing me with the service i pay for.
    This latest issue is the latest in a string of issues , two issues in particular took 7 months and 9 months  of hounding eircom that the exchange had an issue, everyone and i mean everyone i spoke to said there are no issues only for both occasions to eventually result in a dodgy card located in the exchange.
    7 months the first time, 9 months the second time!!!!!! absolutely shocking what i had to go through to get it sorted.

I posted about both issues here,absolutely disgraceful how long both these took to get sorted.

I am so sick of eircom at this stage, this is ongoing for 2 months now, the service was flawless for many months previously after our exchange upgraded to NGB.
    My neighbours are having the same issue but they dont game like me so dont notice as much.

3063626109.png

3064571801.png

Ive spoken to KFM Kildare local radio about this issue in a bid to highlight it and and they asked me to monitor the situation and keep them up to speed.

HI Dcully

I read through your posts on this thread and I see no reference to you having contacted technical support about this recent issue yet?

I've conducted tests on your line and I can see that there is definitely an issue with the line itself which would indeed be creating speed issues.
    I believe this will need to be escalated to engineers to resolve this issue. 

Please contact technical support on 1890260260 and advise them of this correspondence and my findings. 

Thanks

Al

Did you checked my line or Dcullys?

I already have an open case with tech.support, and i have called them when the speeds were low, so if you can just rely the results i have presented here in the thread to them and reply what Eircom is planning to do next.

Thanks

Did you checked my line or Dcullys?

I already have an open case with tech.support, and i have called them when the speeds were low, so if you can just rely the results i have presented here in the thread to them and reply what Eircom is planning to do next.

Thanks
    HI finnteme

I understand you would like to keep technical support updated however you will need to inform the technical support team of your speed results. I am unable to update existing cases with further information from here.

*Edit: I checked your line.

Thanks

Al

Ok, currently on hold.. Also a message that there is a long waiting time.. lets see how many hours this time..
    And got an automated message that my fault was closed today as resolved..
    Outrageous i must say...

This latest issue is the latest in a string of issues , two issues in particular took 7 months and 9 months  of hounding eircom that the exchange had an issue, everyone and i mean everyone i spoke to said there are no issues only for both occasions to eventually result in a dodgy card located in the exchange.

3063626109.png

3064571801.png

HI Dcully

I read through your posts on this thread and I see no reference to you having contacted technical support about this recent issue yet?

I've conducted tests on your line and I can see that there is definitely an issue with the line itself which would indeed be creating speed issues.

Please contact technical support on 1890260260 and advise them of this correspondence and my findings. 

Thanks

Al
    The reason i didnt ring support is in my experience they are utterly clueless and useless.
    In the past ive spent 7 months ringing them only for them to constantly say there is no issue,eventually they found a faulty card and was sorted.
    A year or so later it all happened again, same old pattern with slowdown and clueless support saying there was no issue for 9 months.
    I eventually got it sorted via the reps on this forum, 9 months ringing support and no joy, 3-4 days after speaking to the reps on here the issue was resolved, guess what yet another faulty card.

This is exactly why i see little point ringing support.

This latest issue is the latest in a string of issues , two issues in particular took 7 months and 9 months of hounding eircom that the exchange had an issue, everyone and i mean everyone i spoke to said there are no issues only for both occasions to eventually result in a dodgy card located in the exchange.

3063626109.png

3064571801.png

HI Dcully

Thanks

Al
    The reason i didnt ring support is in my experience they are utterly clueless and useless.
    In the past ive spent 7 months ringing them only for them to constantly say there is no issue,eventually they found a faulty card and was sorted.
    A year or so later it all happened again, same old pattern with slowdown and clueless support saying there was no issue for 9 months.
    I eventually got it sorted via the reps on this forum, 9 months ringing support and no joy, 3-4 days after speaking to the reps on here the issue was resolved, guess what yet another faulty card.

This is exactly why i see little point ringing support.

Hi Dcully

You will need to contact technical support for a resolution to this issue.

As I have previously advised, there is an issue with your line and a call to technical support is required to arrange technicians to resolve.

Thanks

Al

Thanks Alan but if there is an issue with the line and not congestion then surely it would not be perfect during the day and off peak hours.
    Ive tried to ring support but they have a long queue,just about to try get through again.

Just off the phone to support, they have escalated the case as they have found a fault like yourself.
    Thanks Alan.

Just off the phone to support, they have escalated the case as they have found a fault like yourself.
    Thanks Alan.
    No worries Dcully

Al

• Advertisement

I really dont understand why the Eircom tech. support wont answer the emails, or the complaints department either. Sent examples to tech. support ab. the speeds im receiving, and also 3 weeks ago sent an email to complaints dep.
    Resent those emails again.. Tech.support email was acknoledged received on 30th oct, but complete silence since then.

And yes, the speeds are still cr** at the evening.. i have been spent around 40 eur in the last 2 months calling tech.support from my mobile.. wondering who is going to pay that.. obviously me, since i cant get this thing sorted with Eircom.

Propably need to cancel the account and fight for the cancellation fees for not providing the service that i was sold.

EDIT 2: And speed back to 10mb/s this morning...

and here we go again.. crawling at 5mb/s at 6pm.. propably goes down at 2mb/s after 7pm as every night.
    Still waiting someone at Eircom to acknoledge the emails to tech.support and complaints department.

I keep bugging this thread and other Eircom instances until this is fixed.
    Eircom: Silence is not always gold.

Well i reported my fault last Wednesday and i havent heard a thing since.
    I was told an engineer will contact me.
    There you go Alan, thats exactly why i cannot stand having to contact eircom support.

and again, speed is at 4.5 mb/s, last nite around 10pm i was getting 2mb/s.
    And still complete silence from Eircom.

Eircom reps: I dont know how to describe your's and Eircom technical support behaviour at this point. It is not professional anyway..\

Eircom have the next to email me a survey and ive heard sweet F all from anyone on the issue.

and here we go again..speed is going downhill as usual.
    and another day without any kind of contact from Eircom.
    Sent another email to complaints department.
    Unbeliavable customer service :(

This is beyond a joke now..

Can the Eircom reps here be decent enough and try to push for an answer from the tech. support and/or customer complaints department for me..

The speeds are so brutal in the evenings, i really dont want to go to the official complaint and regulator way

Just resent the emails with subject Official complaint

Seems that there is no other way to get any kind of response/communication from Eircom.

Going to regulator, after the Eircom defined timeperiod for handling the official complaint has elapsed if no response/solution is received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

This is beyond a joke now..

Can the Eircom reps here be decent enough and try to push for an answer from the tech. support and/or customer complaints department for me..

The speeds are so brutal in the evenings, i really dont want to go to the official complaint and regulator way

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi finnteme
    I absolutely understand that this is a frustrating issue, but can advise that we have raised this issue with various technical sections, technician has been out to site and we have not identified an issue there..
    I have spoken with the technician whom you mentioned earlier and we have decided, as neither line nor congestion issue at exchange have been identified, that a process of elimination is the next course of action. As such we will request that your port position be changed at exchange level..
    I cannot promise that this will change speeds in evening, but it at least eliminated possibilities and hopefully help in resolving this.
    I will PM you the fault ref number and update with any details from this action.
    Tony[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]

• Advertisement

Thank you, finally something, and good to hear that there is some progress.

This doesnt explain though why neither the tech.department or customer complaint are answering to emails, i still think that its very unprofessional behaviour, there is some questions that i want some answers, and the emails were sent to them 3 weeks ago first time.

But thanks for your response, and pls keep me updated!

Advertisement