Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the feck is that noise?

Options
  • 25-10-2013 9:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭

Sounds like an air raid siren.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Sounds like an air raid siren.

Flood warning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Limerick is invading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

I heard it too, was wondering what it was all about. Went on for a half hour at least. Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Where exactly? And what did it sound like? Would it be mmm-mmmmm or would it be mmmm-mm? The first one there, now thats the sound of a fridge humming and the second one, now thats the sound of a man humming. You never hear a woman humming.

I knew a woman once. She died soon after.

Hahaha! Seriously though, sounded exactly like an air raid siren. Sounded as though it was coming from somewhere towards the North Side. I'm in city centre near North Main Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I missed that completely, and I was in Sundays Well up to half 10 ish. Must be localised around Blackpoolish so, Collins Barracks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

White Walkers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I'm in Shanakiel and heard nothing, not much of a warning system for whatever it was warning me about.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Nothing in Turner's Cross. It would have been useful if the first post had any sort of detail at all in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Encrustment

Faith wrote: »
    Nothing in Turner's Cross. It would have been useful if the first post had any sort of detail at all in it.

I said there was an air raid siren.

I posted this at 9.40pm

This is a Cork City forum.

Another person mentioned they could hear it from North Main street and that it was coming from the North side.

So to recap: there was an air raid siren at about 9.40pm in Cork City that could be heard from North Main Street and seemed to be coming from the North side accross the river.

I'm not sure what other details you need. Do you want me to draw a picture of the sound?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

NicoleL88 wrote: »
    I knew a woman once. She died soon after.

Hahaha.

My kids love that episode. That priest made a fantastic job of doing those lines.

Hard to beat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

From the Barracks maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

that was the mother in law machine is calling going off,,,,, i fecked off to the pub and let it on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Lived in the city centre for past three years. Every so often that would siren would go off. Usually around 6 in the morning. Never found out what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Demonical

That's always going off during the day...I think it comes from over towards the Mercy hospital or Mardyke area but havent a clue really. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

It's an industrial siren, blows at change of shift and break times.

Demonical wrote: »
    That's always going off during the day...I think it comes from over towards the Mercy hospital or Mardyke area but havent a clue really. :confused:

The siren I heard I had never heard before. I'm home most of each day and night. I live by the Mercy.
    Red Nissan wrote: »
    It's an industrial siren, blows at change of shift and break times.

Again no. Have been living in the area for 7 months and never heard this before. Plus it was going off non stop for at least a half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

NicoleL88 wrote: »
    Again no. Have been living in the area for 7 months and never heard this before. Plus it was going off non stop for at least a half hour.

OK, then I guess it's the fire alarm for the Army Barracks fire station. County stations use this siren as well, the next nearest is the Civil Defend near Glen Avenue, North Ring Road, there is also a Fire Training facility there for the City [& County] Brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

i often passed tk max and there be some noise comming from the roof area very loud as well,,,?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭TomCleverly

Didn't Collins Barracks used to sound the air raid alarm in case of flooding years ago? This may of been on the night of the yellow MET warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

D1stant wrote: »
    Limerick is invading

You should be so lucky ;)

Advertisement