Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What has Boards.ie taught you

• 25-10-2013 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭

It has taught me that Aldi/Lidl are the best supermarkets in the world and if you say anything against them then you are a snob.

If you are on the dole then you are a sponger, and if you are a catholic you are a weirdo...

And if you are a catholic on the dole who shops anywhere besides Aldi/Lidl then you are a total outcast..

Have I forgot any, and what has boards.ie thought you

*NB*
    I am a atheist who shops at Aldi....but I am on the dole ( for now )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

fook all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭forgotten password

its taught me that i should have been a french woman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Boards has taught me nothing, or so I thought.

Moving on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

being less blunt so i don't get band for trolling again :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Boards.ie stops me getting bored sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

Before boards I never knew there were Irish Creationists. I did not think such a beast could have evolved (pun intended) in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Also boards loves a bargain......then again who doesn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Boards.ie has taught me that the pc brigade is strong and growing stronger by the day. The death of the internet is neigh apon us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭The Big Smoke

That some people are utter *****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Thought me that Monaghan is in the North East.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

YOU'RE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

Never EVER say DH, DS, DD, DW, SIL etc etc or you will be subjected to soul destroying ridicule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That people say more than their prayers - as my dear hold mother used to say. That boards.ie gives them an opportunity to be the tough hardassed guys they never are in real life.
    That the country is full of barrack room lawyers.
    That basic grammar and spelling in this country has gone to the dogs.
    That there is a wealth of expertise out there. That many people do genuinely like to help others out.
    That some people just like a good argument.
    That forums differ hugely in the type of people you come across on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭canadianwoman

That the Irish eat more then just potatoes. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

That there are lots and lots of indignant folks out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

It taught me to get out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭BabyGorilla

That even if you're the most hardened of activists for (group X), any tiny hint of inference of understanding towards (group Y) makes you one of the enemy.

That even if you're completely and utterly neutral on an issue yet show any tiny hint understanding towards one side it makes you one of the enemy.

(whereupon you inherit extreme characteristics)

A six page letter will then be required to explain yourself to someone who needs it spelled out with crayons.

(this same person will have since left their computer and gone to buy drugs - you wont get the grovelling reply that the universe owes you)

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

That a lot of rides use the internet. :D:p:p

That even if you're the most hardened of activists for (group X), any tiny hint of inference of understanding towards (group Y) makes you one of the enemy.

That even if you're completely and utterly neutral on an issue yet show any tiny hint understanding towards one side it makes you one of the enemy.

(whereupon you inherit extreme characteristics)

A six page letter will then be required to explain yourself to someone who needs it spelled out with crayons.

You're a fast learner :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

that compared to some Im a total loon

and compared to others Im a well balanced member of society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

After 14 years of school, most irish people still cant ****ing spell and have non-existent grammar. But most importantly every Irish person is an expert on everything from the economy to education

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Focus_sligo

That it's wrong to be a republican, have republican thoughts or be a republican supporter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

That I love the Irish sense of humour more than I thought I did.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭BabyGorilla

hfallada wrote: »
    After 14 years of school, most irish people still cant ****ing spell and have non-existent grammar. But most importantly every Irish person is an expert on everything from the economy to education

Capital 'I' please, Irish is a nationality.

That criticizing grammar inevitably leads to being ironically criticized in return by some 'douchebag' and one's own downfall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

That people never mature :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I used to be a spelling/grammar nut too. But then I realised that spelling is very, very difficult for quite a lot of people (in the same way that maths can be difficult for some people, and that people who are dyslexic have trouble with reading). It's NOT a moral failing. And it can't always be blamed on "bad education".

And also, good grammar on a discussion site on the internet is really not that important. In fact, using bad grammar is a really good way to wind up the more uptight folks, so Yay!

That I am going to beat the living shit out of the next person who corrects spelling or grammar, or implies that there is incorrect spelling or grammar anywhere else in this thread.

That I am going to beat the living shit out of the next person who corrects spelling or grammar, or implies that there is incorrect spelling or grammar anywhere else in this thread.

You couldn't beat eggs with a whisk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

That 'Teabagging' is not about putting your used Barrys in to the compost heap :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

That seemingly every other country on Earth is vastly superior to Ireland in every conceivable sense and measure.

If 2 people's experiences of a foreign country are different, the one which praises the country is obviously the right one.

Similarly if 2 people say different things about Ireland, the one which is more negative and slates Ireland is the truth and gets more support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

That the fact that I lurk for the most part is because I can't be dealing with arguments for arguments sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

That much more people then I thought are fairly far right wing economically. (always thought I was 'centre left' but according to here I am far left)

That all protesters are stupid smelly crusties who should be locked up.

That thinking some drug laws are good makes you 'out of touch'.

That you're either an IRA supporter or you're a west Brit.

That if you're religious (I'm not) then you are a crackpot that should be put in a loony bin.

That if you oppose abortion (I don't) you are a crackpot religious person that should be put in the loony bin.

That Irish football fans of the EPL (I am one) are quite mentally ill in general. :p

I think I've just insulted myself many times just now...:confused:

oldyouth wrote: »
    That 'Teabagging' is not about putting your used Barrys in to the compost heap :(

Although "used barrys" is a great euphemism. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

That much more people then I thought are fairly far right wing economically. (always thought I was 'centre left' but according to here I am far left)

That all protesters are stupid smelly crusties who should be locked up.

That thinking some drug laws are good makes you 'out of touch'.

That you're either an IRA supporter or you're a west Brit.

That if you're religious (I'm not) then you are a crackpot that should be put in a loony bin.

That if you oppose abortion (I don't) you are a crackpot religious person that should be put in the loony bin.

That Irish football fans of the EPL (I am one) are quite mentally ill in general. :p

I think I've just insulted myself many times just now...:confused:

That giant usernames ruin the formatting of the page!!

• Advertisement

Boards has taught me that for every cynical negative person there's always an intelligent and enlightened person who will post on the same thread.

Also, it's impossible to even debate the merits or otherwise on immigration without the racism label being thrown around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Dat eye am goin 2 beatt de livn shit outta de nxt persn who corekts speln r grammer, or impliess dat dere is incorekt spelln r grammur newhere else in dis threaddd.

Fixed your post. :)

That giant usernames ruin the formatting of the page!!

I can't check if someone has replied to me when I check on my profile page because my name is 'too long' for it to work for some reason. It hurts me more than anyone else if that's any consolation to you.

I have fixed arrows in my cupboard that aren't broken, ha! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

After 14 years of school, most irish people still cant ****ing spell and have non-existent grammar. But most importantly every Irish person is an expert on everything from the economy to education.

Easy there!

Heh heh

Oh in case I wasn't clear, by "beat the living shit", I meant infract or ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Me?

Boards has taught me nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Whoops ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

That WE are The Big Thickos from the
    Island!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It has taught me to back up what I say with sources because someone will call me up on it if I just spout ****e.
    And vice versa.

I wish people would provide sources in real life too. One day..

That some people are bewilderingly small minded, and can hold genuinely frightening views on minorities.

Being moderator of an Internet forum gives permission to throw your weight around on said forum.

biko wrote: »
    It has taught me to back up what I say with sources because someone will call me up on it if I just spout ****e.
    And vice versa.

I wish people would provide sources in real life too. One day..

That'd be class. Someone says something that sounds like bollox.

"link?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Cycling Dumbasses

stop it i cant stick, stick it i cant stop it, ur hurting me lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

That there's nothing quite like the Irish sense of humour.
    Some funny fuckers around here. I've come across a few posts in AH that literally have had me laughing for days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

That if you lived your life by whats deemed right, wrong, acceptable or unacceptable on here .... you would be mad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement