Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi problem with new laptop

Options
  • 25-10-2013 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi,

I've just bought a new Fujitsu Life Book laptop. Its running on windows 8. When I try to connect to my Eircom wireless broad band, it connects but I don't have any internet service. It says 'Limited' but I have no internet at all.

I've been on to Eircom Tech support and I've clarified that it's not a problem on their end.

When I connent an internet cable from the modem to the new laptop I have full internet access.

Has anyone had similar issues? If so, How should I go about getting this resolved?

I'm not technically minded!

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

Limited connectivity usually means you are not getting an IP address from your router.

Check the tcp/ip properties for your wireless connection and make sure that "obtain an IP address automatically" is selected.*

*sorry for the vague info - no idea how to get to the wifi connection properties under win8!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Staff Sergeant

Cheers for the reply Brian,

When I connect the cable to the laptop I get internet access, Should I get internet at all if this is not selected?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

USING a cable means the laptop uses the ethernet port to acess the web,
    the wifi chip is not getting acess to an ip adress from the router .

i had the same problem ,on windows 7,limited wifi acess, yellow icon,

first remove ethernet cable,
    I fixed it, by going to control ,panel, network ,troubleshooter,wifi,
    start troubleshooter,diagnose wifi adaptor problem
    wait a few minutes ,
    it will search for a wifi setting problem,
    in my case,
    it turned on wifi card ,
    fixed it took about 5 minutes ,
    Thats all i can remember.

also try switching off router for 5 minutes ,turn it on again.
    make sure wifi security,setting on router is set to wpa 2.

See,
    http://www.maketecheasier.com/troubleshoot-wifi-connection/
    in power options, plan settings,

scroll down to “Wireless Adapter Settings” and change both configurations (battery or plugged in) to “Maximum Performance.” If you prefer, you can do this for all of your power profiles. Click “OK “to finalise changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Are you sure, you entered the correct WiFi key? The key is case sensitive.

While you are connected with a cable, you can access the router (type 192.168.1.254 into the address bar of your browser, password if required should be broadband1). Navigate to Wireless Network. There you will see the key. You can copy and paste the key from there. You can also change it to your likings, if you want.

If necessary, go to the Wireless Network Manager and delete the network. This will make the computer "forget" previous security key entries and you will be prompted to enter the key again.

Cheers for all the advice.

Riclad that link is very informative and easy to follow, but I didn't get the problem fixed.

Torqay I have made sure the password is right.

I think Ive done enough with it myself and it may be time to bring it back to the shop I got it from.

I'm sure I could probably rectify this myself if I wasn't as computer illiterate as this. The new Windows 8 isn't helping, although Win 8 looks like I'll grow to love it.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Sorry for being very basic, but did you turn the laptop and router on and off? Proper power off for both.

Other than that updating the wifi drivers is the only other thing I can think of.

Try GOING to router ,wifi,settings, change to channel 6 or channel 11.
    you might be getting interference from another router,
    click wifi ,icon, system tray,

can you see other wifi networks, eg upc, eircom, sky from your neighbours.
    Maybe set security = off, temporarily ,just to see does it improve signal.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-networking/wifi-connection-shows-limited-access-windows-8/0f921682-d291-4400-9d5f-5ab34cca7221

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhnpa7r9Ytc

fix limited wifi win8 video above .

it seems to be a common problem.

try it in the local library, they have free wifi.
    JUST to see does it get a good non limited signal.

temporarily go to security, control panel, switch off firewall,
    see does it make a difference.

the majority of corporate and home networks today are configured for DHCP, which enables your computer to be automatically assigned an IP address.

try this,

Open Control Panel.
    Double-click "Network connections" or "Network and Internet connections" and then "Network connections."
    Right-click "wifi adaptor Connection" and click Properties.
    Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties.
    enable DHCP, make sure "Obtain an IP address automatically" is selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

if connecting to wifi on win 8 you must choose share files and folders to be put in the private profile.... if you say no win 8 puts it in a public profile and blocks internet access.

win 8 wifi setup is fail microsoft really fecked up network settings. win 8.1 even removes the abilty to remove a wifi network when u right click on it.

to remove the wifi network in win 8 /8.1 open a cmd prompt with admin rights

type the following text (where xxxxxxx enter the ssid signal number on your eircom modem)

netsh wlan delete profile name="eircomxxxxxxxx" and press return

then go to network and sharing centre and connect to your wifi, enter your wifi key and choose yes to share files and folders. it should work properly then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

And they call it progress... :D

WIN 8 is a mess of an os,
    its harder to do anything on it,
    its like lets THROW a tablet os ontop of windows 7 ,
    Make it harder to use ,throw away some of the good things in windows 7.
    TRY and make everyone sign up for ms cloud services,email,
    and buy apps .
    yeah i really want to give all my info to ms,

cos theres no way They, would pass it on to the us government.
    LOCAL backup is hidden away in menu,s to encourage users, to sign up for skydrive.

MAYBE eircom should put that info on their website to help users who want to use wifi.

• Advertisement

riclad wrote: »
    WIN 8 is a mess of an os,
    its harder to do anything on it,
    its like lets THROW tablet os ontop of windows 7 ,
    Make it harder to use ,throw away some of the good things in windows 7.
    TRY and make everyone sign up for ms cloud services,email,
    and buy apps .
    yeah i really want to give all my info to ms,

cos theres no way They, would pass it on to the us government.
    LOCAL backup is hidden away in menu,s to encourage users, to sign up for skydrive.

MAYBE eircom should put that info on their website to help users who want to use wifi.

its not eircom's fault microsoft fecked up windows

its well known ms ballz up wifi settings... its not limited to eircom modem, it happens on pretty much any wifi router you connect win 8 to

I did,nt think it was eircom s fault ,
    so the made a new os and screwed up the wifi settings?
    NO wonder 99 per cent of companys install windows 7 on their new pcs .instead of windows 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Windows 8.1 is having tons of problems with WiFi.

Absolute disaster of an OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Same boat recently with this. P1ssed off is an understatement. Sometimes a reboot fixes it, sometimes not. Sometimes re-enabling in adapter settings fixes it, sometimes not. Sometimes waiting 30 mins fixes it, sometimes not. Sometimes kicking the cat fixes it.......

i ,d prefer to buy a secondhand laptop with windows 7, than buy a new one with windows 8.
    Even apple is not arrogant enough to force a tablet os ,on to pcs,or
    laptops.

WINDOWS XP,OR Vista was not perfect ,but it had no basic problems,
    wifi worked fine.

MICROSOFT have a tradition version 3 works,version 1 is mediocre.
    Most laptops allow mint linux to be installed,on a 6gig partition,
    which will give you a perfect wifi signal.
    Mint is easy to use, looks like windows 7.
    it has music player,webrowser firefox ,built in.

riclad wrote: »
    i ,d prefer to buy a secondhand laptop with windows 7, than buy a new one with windows 8.

makes me glad i have a win 7 iso and how to activate it offline :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Think i found some kind of solution to this problem on my system anyway. Not had a problem since i made this change. Might work for others.

Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings > Right click on wifi connection if it isnt the one highlighted > click 'change settings of this connection' > configure > power management > uncheck 'allow this computer to turn off this device to save power' (mine was checked).

Seems to have worked for me.

Edit, premature. Problem returned.

Apologies for not getting back to anyone who posted on here to help me out.

After about a day of messing around with win 8 I fixed this issue on my my Lap top, heres what I did....

for windows 8, go to PC Settings, then Devices then enable Download over metered connections. (this was disabled as default)

Thats it, wifi worked straight away then.

Thanks again to anyone who replied!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

That doesn't sound right. I use wifi and never had to touch that option for windows 8.

Sounds like the fujitsu laptop you got had it by default, which doesn't mean a normal windows 8 installation has it.

I wouldn't know too much about computers in general so I'm slightly out of my depth talking about this but it was definitely set as default. I'm not claiming I came up with the solution myself, i watched a lot of you tube videos about this problem and tried numerous solutions until this worked!

I'm not sure about other brands of lap tops.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Patrick Brennan

Check your wireless connection properties or driver. May be these are creating problems to you. If it does not help, I suggest you to take it to professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Patrick the thread is a year old. I think there is no harm in commenting as the Fujitsu laptops are still around. I have 3, for work and personal, different specs. Win 8 is not great, but it'a not the issue : centrino wireless adapter is. I have had to buy usb wireless adapters for all 3 laptops, after nearly losing the will to live swapping settings, updating, unrolling updates, uninstalling... The centrino kicks in as normal at times, then stops.
    Try googling Centrino wireless adapter 2230 issues.
    Don't know if centrino have fixed issues, it's a shame as I like my Fujitsus, but this has completely ruled out the brand for further purchases for me.

Advertisement