Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muscovy Duck

Options
  • 25-10-2013 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here cooked Muscovy duck before? I hear it has to be treated differently to regular (pekin) duck.
    Any advice or experience very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I've not cooked with it myself, but just thought that it was worth mentioning that...

Peking duck is a dish, whereas Muscovy duck is a bird which can be roasted, pan fried, etc like any other duck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I've not cooked with it myself, but just thought that it was worth mentioning that...

Peking duck is a dish, whereas Muscovy duck is a bird which can be roasted, pan fried, etc like any other duck.

You are right that Peking duck is a dish, but I said "Pekin" which is a breed of duck.

The reason I'm asking is because Muscovy isn't really a duck, it's closer to a goose. I've 7 to kill today so I have a few days to figure out a recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Also known as Barbary duck. Where are you based. Fancy selling any?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You are right that Peking duck is a dish, but I said "Pekin" which is a breed of duck.

The reason I'm asking is because Muscovy isn't really a duck, it's closer to a goose. I've 7 to kill today so I have a few days to figure out a recipe.

My apologies - I thought it was a typo. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What do you mean by you've 7 to kill?

• Advertisement

I'm in Dublin, none for sale, 2 Already going to friends

RasTa wrote: »
    What do you mean by you've 7 to kill?

I have 7 ducks that I am going to kill today with a hatchet and eat them.

I didn't know they were known as Barbury duck as well. I googled that and got some recipes from BBC food.

From BBC
    "Also known as Muscovy ducks, these birds are leaner than other breeds of farmed ducks. Renowned for their plump, firm meat, a whole duck (around 3kg/6lb 10oz) should feed 4-6 people comfortably."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Are you one of those people who look at some animals are go, "mmmm, bet they taste good".
    I am. I can't help it with geese and cute little lamb. Mmmmm... Port and thyme reduction would work well on them...

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Are you one of those people who look at some animals are go, "mmmm, bet they taste good".
    I am. I can't help it with geese and cute little lamb. Mmmmm... Port and thyme reduction would work well on them...

I look at the duck's legs as they move and imagine them in gravy mmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Baby animals are so cute delicious.

It's been lashing down here all day so the ducks survive for another night.

Found these videos...might try this, looks nice, except swap the peaches and baby turnips for spuds and butter.

http://www.marthastewart.com/912927/alfred-portale-cooks-roasted-muscovy-duck-part-1

http://www.marthastewart.com/912927/alfred-portale-cooks-roasted-muscovy-duck-part-1#912928

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I get the fuzzy warms when people grow their own meaty goodness. Nice to know dinner had a good life before it became dinner. No recipes for you, just happy-duck envy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Would love to have the room for some big ducks but not an option in the house we are in now.. Ill make do though with the mallard im going shooting tomorrow evening :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Awesome, give me some legs and eggs. 7 is too much

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I get the fuzzy warms when people grow their own meaty goodness. Nice to know dinner had a good life before it became dinner. No recipes for you, just happy-duck envy.

This, by a gazillion, THIS.

Well 3 got the chop. Made paté wit the livers which is delicious. Breakfast of coffee, toast and paté has me jumping out of bed in the morning.

I weighted the birds after gutting, plucking etc and 2 kg. Decent weight. Looking forward to a roast now.

Well a quick update for anyone who is interested. I have cooked with a few methods but the best by far is a slow cooker.
    Skinning is way easier than plucking and the slow cooker doesn't require keeping the skin so it's less work too.
    Method:
    A bed of chopped veg in the slow cooker, a cup of water, stick the duck in, cook for a few hours, done.
    Delicious.
    Serve with whatever you like.

Advertisement