Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, Where Are We Going to Buy the iPad Air on Launch Day Next Friday?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

grizzly wrote: »
    I'm in Dublin airport now just had a play with the demo model. I was all set to get a 32gb wi-fi version to replace my iPad 2, but after using it I'll going to pass.

The difference in speed of use was only signifatcantly noticeable while using the maps programs - Safari was only negligably snappier.

I'd recommend getting your hands on one first if your concidering an upgrade. If it's your first - go for it!

This is seriously bad advice.

Geekbench tests score this way above the iPad 2.

Also you completely ignore new form factor, weight, full iOS 7 capabilities, retina display, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

grizzly wrote: »
    The difference in speed of use was only signifatcantly noticeable while using the maps programs - Safari was only negligably snappier.

You picked two apps that are dependant on the network speed. For all you know the shop wifi was terrible.

I've been running tests vs my iPad4 here and web pages are loading up in half the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Keep in mind that Apple still have to fully optimise iOS 7 for iPad. There should be significant performance improvements next year. As it stands, I still see a big difference compared to my old iPad 2. Like Hobbes said, page loading times are much improved.

The only thing I see being a potential issue with the latest iPads is RAM or lack of, especially now that apps like Safari are 64bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

adox wrote: »
    Picked up a 32GB white in PC World in Blanchardstown a few minutes ago and got the €50 voucher(valid from 21/11). They also had the new Smart cases in stock if anyone is looking for them.

I owe you a pint! ;)

Picked one up in PC World at lunchtime, but had asked if they are doing the €50 voucher offer. Guy said that they weren't doing, he was adamant, even after I said that I was gonna head over to Blanch. I eventually had to show him your post. He then went over to the manager and he yeah ok give him the voucher!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

If I were to buy the ipad Air on the Apple website, how long would it take to get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Got it in compuB this morning. Updated from my iPad2....serious difference. It's lightening fast in comparison and the retina in lovely!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

leemaree wrote: »
    If I were to buy the ipad Air on the Apple website, how long would it take to get it?

2-3 working days probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

6 Days November 6 in Dublin without engraving

7 days November 7th outside Dublin.

Courtesy of store.apple.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Alternatively you can get one in Belfast if you're not too far away. Plenty of stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

murpho999 wrote: »
    This is seriously bad advice.

Geekbench tests score this way above the iPad 2.

Also you completely ignore new form factor, weight, full iOS 7 capabilities, retina display, etc.

Not really. It's "real world" testing from an average consumer who won't notice much of a different, not Geekbench testing that is actually testing the machines performance that gives out raw numbers. They're both different ways of testing, but I wouldn't necessarily say that it's "seriously bad advice". Apple's primary market is the type of consumer that I assume he/she is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

flexcon wrote: »
    6 Days November 6 in Dublin without engraving

7 days November 7th outside Dublin.

Courtesy of store.apple.ie

That's because it's Friday, do it on a Monday and you'll see that it's 2-3 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

LukeS_ wrote: »
    Not really. It's "real world" testing from an average consumer who won't notice much of a different, not Geekbench testing that is actually testing the machines performance that gives out raw numbers. They're both different ways of testing, but I wouldn't necessarily say that it's "seriously bad advice". Apple's primary market is the type of consumer that I assume he/she is.

Sorry but you're comparing with maps and safari.

So you're depending on internet connection at your loactaion as well of that of the web pages you were accessing?

Why didn't you use non-internet apps, or games etc. Even zooming in and out of photos is smoother and faster.

All reviews state that the machine is very fast. The geekbench is a good measurement of that.

The other major consideration has to be size and weight, it's definitely a major improvement on the 2.

Zcott wrote: »
    Alternatively you can get one in Belfast if you're not too far away. Plenty of stock.

I live in Dublin and don't have a car

If I were to order it on the US website, then the currency would b cheaper? What about tax and shipping from US to here?

If I were to order it on the US website, then the currency would b cheaper? What about tax and shipping from US to here?

You can't. It won't work with an Irish address or credit card.

iPad Air vs. every iPad EVER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

When will carriers have Prepay nano data SIM cards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Anyone decided on covers they are going to get? Official? Third party? Are screen protectors now a thing of the past with iPads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Anyone decided on covers they are going to get? Official? Third party? Are screen protectors now a thing of the past with iPads?

I went for one of the new smart covers. I had a black leather Smart Cover for my previous iPad but it's too big for the Air. I needed one fairly soon and I'm not really into cases because I prefer to hold the thing as it was designed.

As for screen protectors...never had one, never will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Brian017 wrote: »
    When will carriers have Prepay nano data SIM cards?

Just order one from 3 and top by €20 a month for AYCE data worked a treat for me when I had the iPad 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Zcott wrote: »
    I went for one of the new smart covers. I had a black leather Smart Cover for my previous iPad but it's too big for the Air. I needed one fairly soon and I'm not really into cases because I prefer to hold the thing as it was designed.

As for screen protectors...never had one, never will.

I'd be more inclined to keep a screen protector on adds to the resale value.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

iPad Air vs. every iPad EVER

The air doesn't look dramatically quicker really, does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I have the 3...seems to be slower than everything :(

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭adamtj09

Picked one up today. It is a thing of beauty. So much faster than the 1st gen iPad mini it is replacing. So much lighter than the iPad 2( and it was lighter than the 3 or 4!) retina display is obviously still stunning! Went for white myself, it looks stunning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

hephph wrote: »
    asked in arnotts yesterday, not getting them in until the 6th apparently

Saw them in arnotts this evening.
    Displayed beside the (dearer and heavier) ipad4 for comparison :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭jamesd

Ordered my 32gb Air from apple with a black case - have has the iPad 1,2,3 and New so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Only been able to take a play with it now. Glad I went for the 32gb version as it's insane how large some of the apps can be.

Coming from an iPad 1 and a previous nexus 7 owner, I have to say the air is impressive, the weight for one, then the screen and finally the performance. It's miles ahead.

My iPad 1 is still in top condition and holding a great charge but finding some of the newer apps aren't supported or run very laggy on it. It'll be retired to kitchen duties now where I'll use it for referencing recipes and I'm sure I'll find some other uses for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

I`m undecided as whether to upgrade from iPad 3 to Air. My wife has a Ipad 1 that is starting to show its age so could pass the 3 on to her as a nice upgrade but just looking for some feedback from people who have got the iPad Air and how much of an upgrade they find it from their previous version.:)

Without a shadow of a doubt, this is the best iPad I have ever used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

culabula wrote: »
    Without a shadow of a doubt, this is the best iPad I have ever used.

Anything would be better than the iPad 3 to be fair... That thing was awful once iOS 7 launched.

Just coughed up for the 5S today so delaying my purchase for a few weeks by which time I will probably be convinced to buy the Mini instead anyway so could be a win win.

Advertisement