Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, Where Are We Going to Buy the iPad Air on Launch Day Next Friday?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Anything would be better than the iPad 3 to be fair... That thing was awful once iOS 7 launched.

Just coughed up for the 5S today so delaying my purchase for a few weeks by which time I will probably be convinced to buy the Mini instead anyway so could be a win win.

Well, I was on a 4th generation so I can't comment on the new iPad's (mis) behaviour, but the former is still running extremely well.

Like the 5s, it is clear that iOS 7 and iPad Air are made for each other.

FaceTime is outstanding. Sound is fabulous. Typing is a joy. Watching TV is sheer pleasure.

A wonderful machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

leemaree wrote: »
    I live in Dublin and don't have a car

Quicker and cheaper to get Aircoach there and back for 20€ online.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 in love

Anyone have an idea about the availability of the cellular iPad version (32 GB)?
    - PC World?
    - Argos?
    - Combup?

I didn't find any in Limerick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

in love wrote: »
    Anyone have an idea about the availability of the cellular iPad version (32 GB)?
    - PC World?
    - Argos?
    - Combup?

I didn't find any in Limerick!

I contacted Compub and PC World and neither had the cellular version and said they dont know when they will be getting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭tinodz

I was in Argos yesterday, looking for the 3G version, and the store manager said there was no scheduled time to get them in. She believed this is the same for all Argos stores nationwide.

Bad news for me, as I need that version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,173 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Picked up an STM case in compub pretty happy with it, can't get over the size difference vs my ipad 3

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭adamtj09

Anyone know where I can get a Smart Cover for the air in Dublin city centre today? Compu b don't have them

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

adamtj09 wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get a Smart Cover for the air in Dublin city centre today? Compu b don't have them

argos or pcworld might have them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

adamtj09 wrote: »

Seem to be sold out in currys in Liffey valley, check the Argos websites for stock too, it's a handy tool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

Got a 32gb wifi In PC world/currys today in Naas, also got the €50 voucher!
    First time iPad owner!!! It's a fantastic piece of kit :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Ipad Cover - front and back with sleep/wake

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00FK2LV42/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Just bought this for ca €15 delivered. Was narrowed down to a few, but these have in stock now. If you want different colours, search for Swees ipad air. Same price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    Got a 32gb wifi In PC world/currys today in Naas, also got the €50 voucher!
    First time iPad owner!!! It's a fantastic piece of kit :-)

Thanks Padraic, reserved one last night and collected it this morning
    also got €50 voucher!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

if i get an ipad air 16gb (€489) and a case, would it qualify to get a 50 euro voucher so i can get an ipad mini next time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Spipov wrote: »
    if i get an ipad air 16gb (€489) and a case, would it qualify to get a 50 euro voucher so i can get an ipad mini next time?

Dont think its cost dependent so i'm sure you would. Sign up said there was a €50 voucher for buying a Mac but it worked on the iPads anyway. Its probably only for the weekend though so i'd get in today if you could.

Also why buy the case? Wait a week or two and use your €50 voucher to buy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Just checked the pc world website, offer ends wednesday, voucher redeemable in store from 21/11/13 - 24/12/13, voucher is for tablets in general. Breakdown in value is:
    tablet<€100 - €10 voucher
    tablet>€100 - €20 voucher
    tablet>€300 - €30 voucher
    tablet>€500 - €50 voucher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

Dont think its cost dependent so i'm sure you would. Sign up said there was a €50 voucher for buying a Mac but it worked on the iPads anyway. Its probably only for the weekend though so i'd get in today if you could.

Also why buy the case? Wait a week or two and use your €50 voucher to buy it!

im not sure you would get to the 500 without the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

I just got my ipad air yesterday delivered to me by courier. I am so happy with my ipad air

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

On the subject if covers, I managed to stumble upon compu b in Galway and they had only one red official ipad case, I bought it :) great cover and I like the colour, sales person told me that was the only one they got.

Had been checking Argos and they're not getting it in until next Friday by the looks of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Shannonsider

Well folks, thinking of getting an Ipad for the missus but not sure whether to get the older model with Retina Display 16G or the Air 16G? She uses netflix a lot& likes to stream tv sows/movies as well as facebook/email. Which would be better (they seem to be around the same price).

Also, I'm heading to the US next week for a few days. Is it better to buy over there or here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Well folks, thinking of getting an Ipad for the missus but not sure whether to get the older model with Retina Display 16G or the Air 16G? She uses netflix a lot& likes to stream tv sows/movies as well as facebook/email. Which would be better (they seem to be around the same price).

Also, I'm heading to the US next week for a few days. Is it better to buy over there or here?

I'd go for the Air, simply because it's lighter, thinner, faster...and will get an extra year of software updates that the 4 won't get. And probably cheaper to buy in the states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

always get the latest and greatest :)
    For the price of the 32gb ipad here you'll get a 64gb ipad air in the US..
    Have a friend picking me up a 64gb ipad air wifi and it works out at €573.
    That's €100 cheaper than here .
    And don'tget a 16gb..with the free apps that Apple now give that 16gb will be gone within a few hours.
    32gb should be the new minimum really for the ipads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

Going to go against the grain here – if she's not too picky about having the "latest and greatest" then there's no reason why you really should get the Air. The loss of weight is nice, but then again, the Retina iPad isn't exactly heavy either. The speed difference really isn't all too much, especially if she's just a casual user browsing the internet and watching Netflix.

They're differences are only slight, you won't really notice any significant difference unless you've actually had both. The "older" iPad didn't just suddenly degrade in quality just because something newer has been released.

Mid-2007 Macs are getting OS X Mavericks (Apple's newest computer OS if you didn't know), so it's not known whether the Air will get a year more updates or not, that's simply speculation.

Also: check the refurb store. All refurbished Apple products come with a brand new shell, so usually all of their products on their refurb store could realistically be described as "New" although Apple can't actually say that.

Blazer wrote: »
    always get the latest and greatest :)
    For the price of the 32gb ipad here you'll get a 64gb ipad air in the US..
    Have a friend picking me up a 64gb ipad air wifi and it works out at €573.
    That's €100 cheaper than here .
    And don'tget a 16gb..with the free apps that Apple now give that 16gb will be gone within a few hours.
    32gb should be the new minimum really for the ipads.

He says "She uses netflix a lot& likes to stream tv sows/movies as well as facebook/email." – so why would she need 32GB+ if she's going to stream media content? I doubt she will even use iWork apps, so buying a 32GB+ just to reserve space for iWork apps is pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

There really is a big difference in weight between the iPad Air and older models, especially in real world use.

adox wrote: »
    There really is a big difference in weight between the iPad Air and older models, especially in real world use.

The older iPad still isn't what I'd consider "heavy", unless you're old and frail I guess. What do you mean real world use? The majority of times you have your iPad resting on your lap or something similar, why on earth do you need to be holding it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭mackerski

LukeS_ wrote: »
    The older iPad still isn't what I'd consider "heavy", unless you're old and frail I guess. What do you mean real world use? The majority of times you have your iPad resting on your lap or something similar, why on earth do you need to be holding it up?

The prospective consumer here has already noted that there's no significant price difference. Why on earth would you favour the older, heavier one? The Air is in every way a superior device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

mackerski wrote: »
    The prospective consumer here has already noted that there's no significant price difference. Why on earth would you favour the older, heavier one? The Air is in every way a superior device.

Yeah, if there's virtually no difference in price, surely it's a no brainer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Shannonsider

Thanks for all the input/advice folks. Never been to the US before but is it ok to buy said device, bring it back here unopened or do I need to declare it/pay duty on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

You have to pay duty if it's unopened.

Advertisement