Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, Where Are We Going to Buy the iPad Air on Launch Day Next Friday?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Shannonsider

Forgive my ignorance but is it something I have to declare/have the option to declare on departure from the US?

How much would duty be?

I don't want to have to open it as it will be a present

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Thanks for all the input/advice folks. Never been to the US before but is it ok to buy said device, bring it back here unopened or do I need to declare it/pay duty on it?

Legally you are supposed to pay Duty/Tax on anything purchases you bring in with you, exceeding €430, from outside the EU. That figure is not per item, but in total. If your total purchases exceed €430, you pay VAT and duty on everything.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Forgive my ignorance but is it something I have to declare/have the option to declare on departure from the US?

How much would duty be?

I don't want to have to open it as it will be a present

AFAIK, Duty is 0%, but you're looking at 23% VAT. Don't forget you will have to pay sales tax in the US depending on where you are. NY is 8.75%, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Do any of the stores have the cellular version yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

adox wrote: »
    There really is a big difference in weight between the iPad Air and older models, especially in real world use.

I better buy an air, me back is broken from humping around my ipad2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Anyone buy with PC world/currys online? How many days shipping approx?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

nightster1 wrote: »
    I better buy an air, me back is broken from humping around my ipad2

Funny. Way to miss the point.

PC World vouchers valid from today.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,173 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

cool, anything worth getting :D

Cyrus wrote: »
    cool, anything worth getting :D

My thoughts exactly! Was going to put it towards a Smart case but after reading and seeing the reviews I wont be buying one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

My thoughts exactly! Was going to put it towards a Smart case but after reading and seeing the reviews I wont be buying one.

I was gonna do the same. :/ Are they that bad?
    Anybody got a recommendation for a good case then?

BaZmO* wrote: »

Well i was never a fan of the Apple cases to be honest but was going to bite the bullet and order the smart case, especially with the voucher.

having watched some YouTube vids and read reviews though I will be giving it a miss. It seems the re-design of the front cover from 4 panels to 3 is causing an issue with stability when used as a stand.

This is my third iPad and have always had a book cover style cover on them and rely heavily on the "tilt" function they bring. I find the iPad naked very difficult to get on with, very slippy.

This is my third iPad and have always had a book cover style cover on them and rely heavily on the "tilt" function they bring. I find the iPad naked very difficult to get on with, very slippy.

It's my first and I agree with you. The feel of it is nice but it's a bit awkward to hold. I was gonna just use my voucher to get the Apple one, as I wouldn't pay that much for one normally, but I'm not so sure now. I do need to get something though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I found this one on amazon mixed reviews but the price is right. Apple's is too expensive. Don't forget to use parcel motel for delivery if buying this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00GGSZR26/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Just got one of those myself as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 superhoops1

Hi sorry if this sounds stupid but why and how would you use parcel motel?thinking of getting one of these but haven't bought anything of the net before.cheers.also hoping to get the air this weekend and was wondering would it be cheaper up in newry ?

Hi sorry if this sounds stupid but why and how would you use parcel motel?thinking of getting one of these but haven't bought anything of the net before.cheers.also hoping to get the air this weekend and was wondering would it be cheaper up in newry ?

Some UK companies either don't ship to Ireland, or if they do it costs an awful lot more that if you were to get it shipped to a UK address, and some companies also offer free shipping to a UK address.

What Parcel Motel does is provide you with a UK address so you can get the item shipped there (somewhere near Belfast). They then deliver the item to one of their Motels for you to collect. It costs only €3.50 per delivery.

Anyone bought anything with their PC World vouchers yet?
    I`m struggling to find anything to spend the €50 on.

Anyone bought anything with their PC World vouchers yet?
    I`m struggling to find anything to spend the €50 on.

I'm the same. Had a look on their website and there's nothing that I'm pushed on getting.

Toying with the idea of getting a Kindle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,173 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I'm the same. Had a look on their website and there's nothing that I'm pushed on getting.

Toying with the idea of getting a Kindle.

paperwhite is class :cool:

• Advertisement

Ok cheers man,that makes things a bit clearer.

Has anyone managed to get a cellular one in a store yet?

Hi was in Harvey Normans in airside last night and they had 1 16G wifi and cellular left, if you hurry you might get it :)

Hi was in Harvey Normans in airside last night and they had 1 16G wifi and cellular left, if you hurry you might get it :)

Thanks, good to know at least that the stores are getting them...

On release day the stores were saying that they are not yet selling the cellular version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

Linoge wrote: »
    Ipad Cover - front and back with sleep/wake

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00FK2LV42/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Just bought this for ca €15 delivered. Was narrowed down to a few, but these have in stock now. If you want different colours, search for Swees ipad air. Same price

How did that case work out for you?

embraer170 wrote: »
    How did that case work out for you?

I got this one for £5.92 with free delivery. So with the €3.50 from Parcel Motel it only cost me €10.89 all in.

I only picked it up about an hour ago and so far so good, seems like really good quality for the price.

I ordered one in black but for some strange reason they sent me a green one too AND a free screen protector! There was a letter with it saying that I got mine for a a pre-order promotional price and they apologised for the wait and said that they were including the screen protector as way of an apology.....no mention of the extra cover though! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Some UK companies either don't ship to Ireland, or if they do it costs an awful lot more that if you were to get it shipped to a UK address, and some companies also offer free shipping to a UK address.

I use Parcel Motel for those companies. Not expensive at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Got my Invision case as well.
    Very happy with it and even now it's still about a quarter of the price of the Apple rip off case.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

If you bought one in Currys/PCWorld you might be able to get €50 cashback see thread below:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057092963

Worked for me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

quick question for anyone still following this thread, i have been asked by someone who lives down the country to get them an ipad air as they aren't near any retailers an i am heading down during the week...my question is, should they not just purchase from the apple store online? i cant see that there are any deals like the currys pc world cashback offer on at the moment, so would they not be better off purchasing online? they dont need it immediately...any advice much appreciated? online or shop?

Advertisement