Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooding in Mallow

Options
  • 25-10-2013 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭

Went out and took some pics of the flooding in Mallow tonight.

BXc5QtqCMAAARCR.jpg:large

BXc47_dCQAAi5tT.jpg:large

BXc3x_vCUAAm0AP.jpg

BXc3JDzCcAAgf0J.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Hope Lidl have a special on waders.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

Is the Killarney Road flooded as well?? Due to head down that direction tomorrow from Clare. Should I bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Water is fairly fast flowing from the river. Went out to the Race Course as well, too dark for photos but water is just clipping under the arches.

Is the Killarney Road flooded as well?? Due to head down that direction tomorrow from Clare. Should I bother?

Killarney road is fine. Lots of field space to take the water. Only accessible from Ballyclough side and the town though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

I pass that way on the way to work .... Remember looking into the racecourse this morning and thinking to myself it was doing well to stay dry ... Return trip this evening had me gobsmacked! Couldn't believe how much it had flooded over the course of the day! I was at tesco's on the park road about 3.30ish and there was just a biggish puddle in the grass way across the road ... WOW is all I can say when I look at those photos! Scary stuff!

• Advertisement

I pass that way on the way to work .... Remember looking into the racecourse this morning and thinking to myself it was doing well to stay dry ... Return trip this evening had me gobsmacked! Couldn't believe how much it had flooded over the course of the day! I was at tesco's on the park road about 3.30ish and there was just a biggish puddle in the grass way across the road ... WOW is all I can say when I look at those photos! Scary stuff!

It's been much worse, but the flood prevention works have worked. Town streets built on lowlands are dry, which is what they wanted.

It isn't too scary, which is odd when you're standing on a wall with 4 foot of water either side! :P

Another one, this time from the Cork Road Bridge. Black lines indicate normal high tide river width. 8 second exposure time with the camera seeing as it was so bloody dark.

BXdTBxZCMAAlsx9.jpg

Out at 7:30 this morning to see the aftermath of last night.

BXfIad1CcAAEMni.jpg

BXfLnYOCYAAXA3f.jpg

BXfJ6YDCUAAh7K9.jpg

BXfJLFbCUAAvPCp.jpg

Also spoke to a guy from the Council. He said it rose extremely quick, and caught them a little short. They dealt with it quickly, had road closures in place within an hour, and are reopening most now. Seems like the water is slow to recede, but most roads are passable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Amazing pics . . . Were many houses or business's affected ?

Lisha wrote: »
    Amazing pics . . . Were many houses or business's affected ?

Not in the town. They've been building flood defences and prevention works for the last few years; widening the river bed, building defence walls, new culverts etc, so the business and houses on lower roads in the town wouldn't be affected. Those worked, thankfully.

In the country, it might be a different story. Haven't heard of anything as of yet, but people have been dealing with flooding like this (and worse) for close on to 600 years (first record of flooding), so everyone is smart about it.

• Advertisement

I'm delighted the flood prevention works have worked in the town.

Sounds like a great success for mallow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭amber2

Some pics taken outside Mallow just off Mallow Killarney road yesterday.

amber2 wrote: »
    Some pics taken outside Mallow just off Mallow Killarney road yesterday.

Great photos. Was out that way this morning, river's calmed down a bit, but is still up to the top of the banks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

As long as it doesn't reach Maureens we will be allright

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Does anyone know if the Killavullen road floods?

Brother is looking at a site out there on the left, but its near the river and looks very low lying to me.

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Killavullen road floods?

Brother is looking at a site out there on the left, but its near the river and looks very low lying to me.

Not that I know of. Road is uphill so it would have to be a very large flood. Depending on how far down from the road it is, he should be fine.

Sadly mallow did not fair to well today flooding wise. Looked like a lot of damage was done down by lidl.
    Hope it was not as bad as it looked.

Lisha wrote: »
    Sadly mallow did not fair to well today flooding wise. Looked like a lot of damage was done down by lidl.
    Hope it was not as bad as it looked.

Seems pretty bad when I was in around 7 this evening. Haven't seen it that high in years. Thinking of going in quite early tomorrow morning to see how it is.

Racecourse is quite bad too. Racing on the 4th is looking doubtful.

Advertisement