Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costs of Domestic Well

Options
  • 25-10-2013 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hey Guys,

I've been looking into boring a well for a house we've just bought in the Cork area. I phoned half a dozen drilling companies to get costs for materials and drilling etc and EVERY single company quoted the same cost:

€10 p/ft for drilling with blue liner / pvc
    €11 p/ft for steel lining as far as bed rock
    €1000 for a pump + installation
    € 90 for water testing
    € 400 for a filter system if needed.
    all + 13.5% VAT

Seeing as all the companies are quoting the same price I want to go with the most recommended. Does anyone know of or had any good/bad experiences with well boring companies in the South of the country.

Does anyone know of a company that would come in cheaper than the prices quoted above?

If you can PM on any info above or give any advice in general I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭fealeranger

They are all the same price. They will paint a pretty picture nice ideal scenario for the drilling for you and it will seem cheap. I have a well 120ft deep. It took 5 length of steel and 1 length of PVC and cost €2400 to drill and line it (Vat inc.) The pump(submersible) cost €1000 and the filter system cost €1000(hardness, Iron,nitrites and nitrates). Pregnant women and new born babies can not drink softned treated water due to sodium content. Treatment systems vary in price from €800 up to as much as €1800 so make sure your budget is good for this. Water may have Iron, nitrites, nitrates excess calcium or ecoli contamination and you will not know this pre drilling. Testing must be carried out after the water is drilled and left clear for a week or so. If these are present they need to be treated and the equipment needs to be serviced too. You will be exempt from water charges for the time being until the goverment find a Tax or a way to get money for private water sources from people. To sum it up a well may not be the cheapest route but there you have it. Budget for well in or around €5000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

My digger (based in Wexford) did a deal under €10 per foot with no charge if after 300 ft there was no water (they did get scared at 250 we found none then at 270 we hit a huge supply)

The farm to one side has a 60 ft and the house to the other has 160 - SO just because there is one near by does not mean there will be water on yours !!

At 270 you need a bigger pump which cost more

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mrs Doyle

fclauson wrote: »
    My digger (based in Wexford) did a deal under €10 per foot with no charge if after 300 ft there was no water (they did get scared at 250 we found none then at 270 we hit a huge supply)

The farm to one side has a 60 ft and the house to the other has 160 - SO just because there is one near by does not mean there will be water on yours !!

At 270 you need a bigger pump which cost more

Wish I had that deal - 450ft later!! :-(...although a neighbour who dug a well previously had to go 650ft!
    Yes, all the Cork suppliers have fixed their prices the same, so not much point in ringing around too many suppliers.

Advertisement