Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astro Clone - Fasttech

Options
  • 25-10-2013 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

First impressions are that is is a nice clean shiny mod. I mention that because i thought I didnt like shiny mods and preferred brushed. But It has enough detail and contour to not be a plain shiny phallic object, which is probably what im am trying to avoid.

First thing to do is rub some Noalox if you have it , paper cloth damped in Olive oil if you dont, around the threads to avoid the early screeching.

The Threading is really fine at the 510 connection, it almost sucks the atomiser in (Agat2 used) as you screw it. It screws all the way in and comes to a decidedly abrupt stop. Which is precisely flush with the mod.
    Unlike say my Sig #19 which has a horrible gap.

Its is als 18mm shorter in 18650 mode thatn the Sig #19 and say half the weight.

Its very shiny and the brass gives a subtle contrasting tone.
    Im nicely impressed with the knurled bottom switch lockout mechanism. The tactile feedback feels different so you can lock the device easily without looking at what your doing.
    The throw on the bottom switch is short. I measured it to be just shy of 2mm - Again compared to the Sig #19 feels about 1/3 the depth - very short, in fact I clean hot cut through my thumb with Kanthal when i was setting it up. Normally with the Sig #19 i can take the risk of not locking it with out issue. Lock it out.

I would suggest locking the device out everytime you put it standing also, it has a not so nice sway otherwise, the spring diameter is about 7mm, the sig # 19 is about 12mm, meaning the Sig is better at standing up with out rocking.
    This i dont like, its probably down to the button shape having a slim centre shaft.

It takes about 5 turns to lock the device out so not a really big issue. Sig: 12 turns to lockout. Damn you superfine threading.
    The spring is just enough to hold the mod and the Aga T2 up without it firing, but springs naturally weaken over time.

What i also noticed is when i have an 18650 battery inside, there is an extension peice that I am assuming you can put a kick on an 18650.

There is a design lasered into the brass of the 510 connection which i though was really different, a bit aztec, but its such a shame it will be covered by the atomiser most of the time. Cartos will at least see some of it but im not a carto user.

Just noticed the firing button is getting stuck, but its FoB so in time this may settle, otherwise a pliers and a blowtorch to the spring. heh, Pulp Fiction, great film.

There is no internal battery spring, there is an adjustable spring at the top under the 510 connection, havent had to adjust it though. It looks like brass.

This mod is punching well above its weight for $24. Delivered free in 13 days.

Ordered 10/11/2013
    Shipped 10/11/2013
    Recieved today 10/25/2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Good review! But just to get an idea what are you rating it against?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

Pictures of the shiny goodness please!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

Images are hyperlinked... lol hyperlinked, hello 1999.
    This is the Astro Clone
    1467000-8-thumb.jpg

This is the Sigelei #19

Also, AIOS Hybrid Astro sexystuff - my next purchase
    1kLIZV5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

Very pretty. Must have a goosey at Fasttech at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

I've had my eye on the astro since they got it in, I love the top cap.
    I cant justify buying another mech mod though cause I dont really use them!!
    I got a brass TVS from them a while back and I think I used it once. It looks like a golden turd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

Also found out this morning that the top cap and bottom button threads fit the Kir Fanis Telescope. it needs a spring though for an 18350 battery.

1UQ4eXC.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Burdock

Ordered mine this morning, hopefully it won't take too long to get here !

Advertisement