Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What were the stand out toys for your LO?

Options
  • 25-10-2013 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

My little guy is 6 months and is starting to interact with his toys. I am looking for ideas for Christmas presents for him. What were the stand out toys for your little one, what did they play with over and over again?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The vtech walker is brilliant.my 9 month old loves turning the butterfly and pressing the keys on it,and my now 2 year old absolutely loved it too.
    He also loves playing lego with his sisters mostly knocking down everything they build and taking lego pieces apart,but we all have to start somewhere!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Vtech walker for definite.

Also blocks. Smyths have these - http://www.toys.ie/50-Piece-Colourful-Wooden-Box-Set-!128272-prd.aspx and these - http://www.toys.ie/Wooden-Pull-Along-Blocks-Truck-!101700-prd.aspx in their 2 for €20. Well worth the investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Yes agree, v tech walker was used so much by both of mine.
    Plus, though maybe for next Christmas, stacking cups, wooden blocks from Tesco, a little ride on truck that you can put stuff in the seat part and old McDonald farm (kiddieland is the make) are always used by my 1 year old and 3 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭MollFlanders

That walker looks great so will get that and some blocks although might have to opt for softer ones cos he throws everything! Thanks for the tips!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Another vote here for the walker. Bought it for lolast xmas. She was 8 months. Now at 18 months she still plays with it. Brilliant when learning to walk. Also a ball pit. But maybe not an inflatabke 1 she loved it but has now bursted2 (shes very rough for a girl) so santa will be bringing a new one this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

The fisher price cookie jar has been played with a lot in this house. Since he able to sit up and now at 14months he loves it all over again!:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Stacking cups, stacking rings, the ball pond and a numbers and letters foam mat.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

The walker mentioned above, the playpen/travel cot half-filled with plastic balls, but number one is definitely a ride-on car. We got it in Smyths and originally it had a stand like a rocking horse, a seat barrier, and a handle at the back for us to push. Now still takes it everywhere at 2+, with all the extras stripped off as he grew. Expensive, but totally worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

+1 for the vtech walker and also the cookie jar! Our fella is 11 months and he never gets sick of the shapes in the cookie jar... He's always putting them in then trying to get them back out. His nan just bought him this new fisher price bike thing today which we can push him around in with a harness and he seems to love it!

Having said that... We brought him on holidays last week and all he had was a pot and a wooden spoon... He banged away on that for 3 days straight! Lol... Needless to say we all had constant headaches!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭MollFlanders

Thanks so much for the replies. We are going to go with the walker and the cookie jar, both are on offer in Argos. Not going to spend too much this year as he is only, thanks again!

• Advertisement

Dont want to hijack but dont want to start a new thread has any1 any ideas for a a toddler. LO will be 20 months by xmas and i havent a clue what to get. Was gona get a small outdoor play house as if she see's one any where she loves them but dont think she will get much use over the winter and no room in the house for it.

Suucee wrote: »
    Dont want to hijack but dont want to start a new thread has any1 any ideas for a a toddler. LO will be 20 months by xmas and i havent a clue what to get. Was gona get a small outdoor play house as if she see's one any where she loves them but dont think she will get much use over the winter and no room in the house for it.
    A keyboard, not on a stand, but one that be carrried around, a push along bike or as I mentioned earlier the old McDonald house is brilliant.

A keyboard, not on a stand, but one that be carrried around, a push along bike or as I mentioned earlier the old McDonald house is brilliant.

Love the keyboard idea, never thought of that, aldi are getting in a musical band set on thurs which I will probably get aswell. I bring her to Gymboree and she just loves instruments.
    She has a push along trike already and a car that she pushes herself on.
    What is this old McDonald farm. Done a quick google and cant find much.

Love the keyboard idea, never thought of that, aldi are getting in a musical band set on thurs which I will probably get aswell. I bring her to Gymboree and she just loves instruments.
    She has a push along trike already and a car that she pushes herself on.
    What is this old McDonald farm. Done a quick google and cant find much.

http://www.smythstoys.com/farm-vehiclesaccessories-playsets-16sc/old-macdonald-farmhouse-tractor-set-101764itm.aspx
    This is it, brilliant, plays music, animal noises, tractor drives etc... Really well used by 3 year old and 1 year old in my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I'm getting my LO the wooden kitchen from ikea - she plays with a friends if ours all the time, she loves it

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

Cookie jar & walker are ideal OP, loads of use will be knocked out of them.

For a toddler, Aldi have sing along books this week which are great as there is a CD included if your toddler likes music.
    Scout have a read along teddy now that reads books (on CD) as your toddler follows the actual book.
    A shopping trolley is a great toy at this age also (a plastic one) as they can load it up & empty and push it around. Toymaster have a good one that comes with little versions of real food packets. It's approx 15 Euro.
    Bath markers for toddlers are a real hit in my house also - they wash off the bath again. Hours of joy even when not in the bath!
    The Aldi instruments coming up look great, I think I'll be getting some of those for Santa this year.
    If you are looking to entice a toddler into a bed, quilt cover sets are ideal in their favourite characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Lego. Duplo sets are brilliant for that age.

Advertisement