Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a coffee bean

• 25-10-2013 11:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Just coming to the end of a kilo bag of Lavazza Rossa that has been thoroughly uninspiring.

I rather liked the Lidl French and Pact Espresso blend ground coffees, but would like to use the grinder so this one needs to be beans.

I'm looking for a real strong, nutty, chocolatey, "goooood moooorning Vietnam" flavour that I can taste though milk of a latte... and I don't mind spending a bit more for that.

Anyone got a recommendation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

You should notice a big difference if you try some freshly roasted and grind on demand if you've been sticking to supermarket pre-ground.

Try one of these
    http://bailiescoffee.com/categoriesList/357/our-espresso-blends.aspx

http://www.hasbean.co.uk/collections/starter-packs/products/the-new-espresso-starter-pack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Thanks guys, I hadn't considered hasbean.

I'm a fan of starter packs, so I'm off to order that right now :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

My favorite pre-ground mainstream brand is the Bob Roberts New York blend.

Good and strong and has a nice flavour if you're stuck and can't get good beans in a hurry and can be got in pretty much every supermarket.

There are some other types in the same range, but the NY one is the only one that floats my boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

What is the best bang for you buck coffee with regards beans and delivery price. I find the delivery charge for most internet suppliers a bit restricting.

I have recently tried the Bewleys beans from tesco and found them to be well below average with an almost salty taste.

Lavazza Rossa was also not great and now have the Robert Roberts beans in the grinder now which is nice.

The tin of Illy from Tesco was the best from the shelf, but at over 7 euro for 250g it is 2 euro more expensive that the next cheapest.

To be honest the Pact coffee and the coffeeangle beans where in a different league for taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

I used to use Has Bean most of the time but the ygot expensive when the delivery charge went up.

Mostly use

Badger & Dodo: About and Coffee Mojo | The Art of Roasting Coffee

for my freshly roasted beans these days

I was about the buy from Pact when I saw ponaire.ie

Anyone used them?

I've ordered their:
    Rich Sumatra Blend
    Indian Blend
    Connoisseur Blend
    Decaf Blend

All of which have some stars from "Great Taste Awards" whoever they are. I see the the UK sellers also quote the same stars too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

A subscription from Bailies works out at under 7 euro per 250g bag.

If you like coffee angel's coffee it is worth considering - plus it is far superior to what's in supermarkets.
    http://bailiescoffee.com/categoriesList/388/weekly-subscription.aspx

Glebee wrote: »
    I used to use Has Bean most of the time but the ygot expensive when the delivery charge went up.

Mostly use

Badger & Dodo: About and Coffee Mojo | The Art of Roasting Coffee

for my freshly roasted beans these days

I like free postage. How's the coffee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

fleet wrote: »
    I like free postage. How's the coffee?

Im no great expert but find them both equally nice..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

I was about the buy from Pact when I saw ponaire.ie

Anyone used them?

I've ordered their:
    Rich Sumatra Blend
    Indian Blend
    Connoisseur Blend
    Decaf Blend

All of which have some stars from "Great Taste Awards" whoever they are. I see the the UK sellers also quote the same stars too.

+1 for Ponaire

I have been buying my coffee from them for the past 3 years, best coffee in the country imo.

They import green beans from all over the world and roast them to perfection.

I highly recommend them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

elmolesto wrote: »
    +1 for Ponaire

I have been buying my coffee from them for the past 3 years, best coffee in the country imo.

They import green beans from all over the world and roast them to perfection.

I highly recommend them.

Really? their website is not that inspiring. Large Fair Trade badges, no single origins, etc, etc. Why do you prefer them over other roasters ? If they are that good I might give them a try as well.

I'm still a rookie coffee snob, but I've found many single origin beans to be lacking in one or more qualities. Blended coffee has given me consistently better results.

Heck... I even like a little robusta thrown in for the extra ooomph!

PS - the Ponaire stuff came yesterday (really fast turnaround considering the bank holiday).

I've not yet tried it as I'm finishing old stock.

I'll report back, naturally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

I'm still a rookie coffee snob, but I've found many single origin beans to be lacking in one or more qualities. Blended coffee has given me consistently better results.

Heck... I even like a little robusta thrown in for the extra ooomph!

oomph ? Are you making espresso and you mean for crema? or for the bit of extra caffeine?

I drink both espresso and lattes.

My machine produces impressive crema from pretty much anything despite it's price.

For the latte I find many 100% arabicas are simply drowned out by the milk, even in a smaller "flat white" style glass cup.
    There are of course exceptions.

I like a little bitterness in my espresso too, so long as its short lived and the oily, caramel taste is all that's left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

A subscription from Bailies works out at under 7 euro per 250g bag.

If you like coffee angel's coffee it is worth considering - plus it is far superior to what's in supermarkets.
    http://bailiescoffee.com/categoriesList/388/weekly-subscription.aspx

Thanks for the advise. ;)

Got a 6 week, 6 bag subscription for 36 pound all in. Thats 1 pound for delivery to ROI from Belfast! Cant complain with that.

Plenty of time to make my mind up.

Tried the Ponaire Indian Blend today..............best damn espresso I ever tasted.

I'm really pleased!

Their ground decaf is far too coarse a grind though, can I feed this through my burr grinder again??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Have you tried Greenbean in Dundalk? They do all their own roasting inhouse up there. Ive been buying Cafe Supremo from them for the last 5 or 6 months, in fact I went up today and bought another 1KG bag and decided to treat myself and buy 6 of their large cappuccino mugs and saucers. I love their coffee, wouldnt touch anything else now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

Have you tried Greenbean in Dundalk?

They certainly think a lot of themselves: Greenbean Coffee Roasters is one of the best speciality coffee roasters in the world.

Doesn't read like they roast to order - and they also appear to only sell blends. Mind you I'm sure its still streets ahead of anything you'd buy in a supermarket etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement