Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlesland Wood - Change of Use from Creche to House (x2 units)

Options
  • 26-10-2013 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭

Just starting this thread so people are aware of this intended change of use for the second attempt. Last time round, and it was in 2007, the developers looked to change the use of 2 units (end of terrace 3-bed type units)in Charlesland Wood to use as a house but was refused based on it being premature as the demographic of the area had not developed yet.

The site notices were erected today (25th Oct) and I expect the planning applications to be submitted to WCC within 13 days.

My question to contributors here is this: what has changed in the last 6 or so years that you believe would warrant the change of use?

I am open to this as the units have been left idle for the last several years while other similar units in the development have opened as use as creches?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If there are other creches in Charlesland I dont see any issue then

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

It boils down to what the development plan states is the requirement for childcare places. When I last looked at this I believe it was 20 childcare places to 75 units. So for 1,350 units, say 350 spaces. This is regardless of demand and seeing a slight turnaround in the economy, I would have thought that people perhaps returning to work would create the demand?

I will await for the applications to be lodged and see what their argument is.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

astrofluff wrote: »
    It boils down to what the development plan states is the requirement for childcare places. When I last looked at this I believe it was 20 childcare places to 75 units. So for 1,350 units, say 350 spaces. This is regardless of demand and seeing a slight turnaround in the economy, I would have thought that people perhaps returning to work would create the demand?

I will await for the applications to be lodged and see what their argument is.

Afaik the units in question haven't been of interest to any company or individual as they'd be too small for an individual crèche?

The units have been sitting empty as shells for over 9 years now and too be honest, I'd rather see the being made in to habitable units than just sitting empty.

JanneG wrote: »
    Afaik the units in question haven't been of interest to any company or individual as they'd be too small for an individual crèche?

It doesn't make a good business case for one creche building with costs of running verses turnover - I understand this. The problem still relates to what the development plan requires and how two units, which has a capacity of X, needs to serve the area.

So either, 1) the applicant demonstrates there is no need for the units as the overall Charlesland area caters for 20 places for every 75 unit, or 2) will remove one unit while expanding the other unit (which is not the case in both applications).

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

I am hoping and praying the permission will be granted. As someone living right opposite the empty building i would love for someone to have it as a house. I have to ask for the lawns to be cut. The place has been broken into, windows smashed and kids climb on the wall and swing off the gutters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Empty units are no good to anyone. Better to get it occupied imo. At least it will won't get run down and be an eyesore.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Aronaay

Which units are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Aronaay wrote: »
    Which units are they?

As per original post >>2 units (end of terrace 3-bed type units)in Charlesland Wood

Nos. 69 & 158 ....IIRC

For those interested, both applications have been refused. IMO the developer needs to re-think the strategy for off-loading these units. Advice available by PM. :D

• Advertisement

They could try advertising them for there intended purpose. I'm in the childcare industry and apart from the deliberate poor location of the buildings, there are people that would be willing to occupy them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

How well-subscribed are the existing childcare facilities in Charlesland? Charlesland Montessori already had 2 buildings when we lived there (one in the Grove and a bigger one in the Park). Perhaps they'd be interested in expanding operations into these units?

There is a constant demand for more places in all the creches in charlesland and all of Greystones. According to the HSE GReystones has one of the highest demand for child care in the north wicklow are

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wardie214

Jimjay wrote: »
    I am hoping and praying the permission will be granted. As someone living right opposite the empty building i would love for someone to have it as a house. I have to ask for the lawns to be cut. The place has been broken into, windows smashed and kids climb on the wall and swing off the gutters.

I agree with Jimjay as I'm on the other side of the property and there is now graffiti on the windows and things will only get worse if it's left lie for much longer.

Units laying idle is of no use anyone. I would prefer to see them occupied either way whether as a home or a creche. This is a case of poor foresight of the original design verses the current Dev.Plan requirements. The units are locked into it and a solution needs to be devised. The applicant does have the option to appeal which may release the units from their creche use.

Advertisement