Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loud people in library

Options
  • 26-10-2013 1:00am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27

Does anyone else ever feel the need to tell someone to shut up in certain areas of the library or computer rooms. I know there are some areas which are guaranteed to be quiet.. but some people chat openly like as if it's their own kitchen. How come it is, that no ever tells them to shut up when I know they want to. I often do, but I usually hesitate in doing so.

I presume the reason is that no one has the guts or wouldn't no how to handle the situation. Or they just naturally presume it's not their place to enforce such things. I usually handle the situation quite well each time and they shut up for me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Blue Crystal

Does anyone else ever feel the need to tell someone to shut up in certain areas of the library or computer rooms. I know there are some areas which are guaranteed to be quiet.. but some people chat openly like as if it's their own kitchen. How come it is, that no ever tells them to shut up when I know they want to. I often do, but I usually hesitate in doing so.

I presume the reason is that no one has the guts or wouldn't no how to handle the situation. Or they just naturally presume it's not their place to enforce such things. I usually handle the situation quite well each time and they shut up for me.

citizen_cane.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 SamaraCreamed

citizen_cane.gif

A sarcastic stupid response from somebody who wouldn't know how to address the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Just ask nicely for them to keep it down. If that doesn't work call Librocop.

Only going to get worse coming up to exams with the place packed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Just throw paper planes at them until they stop... or join in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Found it surprising how self-regulating the library tends to be; you get the odd blop waddling out of a study room chinwagging at decibels that'd be jarring at your average club, and boom! 500 odd heads pop around with looks that'd launch daggers.

Librocop reminds me of Bill Hicks' waxing on Jack Palance's role in Shane, in that every look I've seen exchanged between him and the student body is based on a relationship where the former relishes the latter being dozy.

Librocop- "Pull out the headphones"

Fresher- "Hey, man, I'm just tryna' listen to some Grooveshark"

-Fresher relents in a haze of fear and confusion-

Librocop- "€20 fine: you all saw him, he pulled out the headphones"

Not to say I ain't been driven mad by the chatter on occasion. It's especially maddening if you get stuck up the back of a lecture; it's Mos Eisley Cantina. Of course, you snake down front and get my fellow matures finishing the lecturers' sentences; encountering another form of occasionally irksome chatter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I tend to avoid the library after week 8. Its guaranteed to be noisy with those that just assume being in the library is the thing to do with exams looming, with no desire to actually do some work.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Librocop reminds me of Bill Hicks' waxing on Jack Palance's role in Shane, in that every look I've seen exchanged between him and the student body is based on a relationship where the former relishes the latter being dozy.

Fresher- "Hey, man, I'm just tryna' listen to some Grooveshark"

-Fresher relents in a haze of fear and confusion-

Librocop- "€20 fine: you all saw him, he pulled out the headphones"

What do you mean a €20 fine? Your short anecdote about the librocop seems to condradict itself. I thought the fresher
    refused to take out the headphones, so why did the librocop say "you saw him pull out the headphone"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

What do you mean a €20 fine? Your short anecdote about the librocop seems to condradict itself. I thought the fresher
    refused to take out the headphones, so why did the librocop say "you saw him pull out the headphone"

It's a joke based on Jack Palance's/Librocop's just wanting trouble; ain't an anecdote.

It's a ****ty joke, yes, but it ain't meant to be a factual account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I've rarely ever seen / heard people making noise in the (James Joyce) library, but if I do, it's usually very brief chat between people. If it persists, report them to the front desk and someone will come up and tell them to shut up which will do the job. (if not report it again and they'll be kicked out / fined).

As for computer rooms, they're not a "silent" room, so if you want quiet go to the library and if you need a computer borrow one in the library. It's tough enough to find space to collaberate work in college somewhere where you can sit around and talk through a project etc. and very few rooms you can book in the library, so computer labs are fair game imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭UCDCritic

I hardly bother with the library for this very reason.

There are other quiet isolated places around the Arts block and campus where you can study.

Another thing that annoys me is people leaving their stuff on a good desk in the morning and then not returning for hours. Desk hogging, desk squatting, or another name you can think of.

There needs to be a rule introduced and enforced about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I've always felt talking in the library was like **** in church, people are too polite to tell you to stop, but you can be damn sure they're judging you, and that's a pretty good deterrent.

What's most annoying is when they are a little loud.. but yet not quite loud enough to tell them to shut up without looking like a nazi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭UCDCritic

No body is looking like a nazi and who cares what they think.

Your right to be undisturbed is far superior to their right to chat in the library.

Be assertive.

I think it would be great if we could all foster an environment of strictness and thoughtfulness toward other peoples right to go undisturbed and do their work in the library.

Because it's like in lectures these days, people just come in, have a chat (whisper) and don't care that they are disturbing the people around them

Advertisement