Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Low Fat Milk's Reading Log

Options
  • 26-10-2013 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭

Frankenstein
    Mary Shelley

This is a great book that plays with the readers sympathies as well as being a horrific cat and mouse thriller, I can see why this novel has endured so much. Very short and moves at an excellent pace as a result.

4/5

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

White Teeth
    Zadie Smith

One word that I'd use for this book is sprawling. It's restless in it's pursuits of different characters, ideas and points of views and the result is excellent. It veers in all directions but never feels like its losing track of where it wants to go. Highly recommended.

4.5/5

I am Zlatan
    Zlatan Ibrahimovic

A very divisive character and an explosive player doesn't really bring anything new to literature but it's good fun and it's a quick read.

3/5

The Turn of the Screw
    Henry James

A short story/novella that's very well written but not particularly creepy unfortunately.

2.5/5

Gone Girl
    Gillian Flynn

Forgot to add this because I forgot I read it! Very unlikeable characters and a bit too neat. Thinks it's smarter than it is.

2/5

Wool
    Hugh Howey

A good start to a sci-fi series, sags a little in the middle but overall a good read and I'll definitely read the next few.

3.5/5

• Advertisement

Shift
    Hugh Howey

I thought this was great, serves as a prequel to Wool and does a great job of world creation that sets up a good final part hopwfully.

4/5

Heart Shaped Box
    Joe Hill

Probably would have worked better as a short story. Kinda dragged and not particularly creepy.

2/5

Dust
    Hugh Howey

Something very unsatisfying about the third part. Plenty of story told over the series but just felt a little bit flat.

2.5/5

The Goldfinch
    Donna Tartt

I liked how it was written and the story but never warmed to the protagonist. Probably could've been shorter top.

3.5/5

Advertisement