Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet Fibre 100

Options
  • 26-10-2013 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi All

Wondering if someone could help. I have only ever used UPC for broadband in Dublin and while fine i don't need their TV packages etc. I can get the Magnet Fibre in Sandyford in a new apartment. Has anyone ever used it or got any experiences with it?

Regards

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

I recently got it and I think its grand. Took a couple weeks to get hooked up and running but well worth the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I've had it for the last year (and UPC for several years before that) and imho it beats the tits off even the 150Mbps UPC.

I get rock solid 100Mbps down and 10 up 24/7 and pings to Dublin servers of 5ms day or night. Never had a single connection drop or even so much as a hiccup in the whole year either.

the thing is with it, is that it's uncontended FTTH (fibre to the home), so even though the top speed on UPC might be faster in theory, the ultra low latency and consistent speeds just can't be beaten and you'll see the difference in everything from online gaming to torrenting or just browsing the net (or all 3 at once!)

And to think I was worried that it would be a downgrade from UPC! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

vibe666 wrote: »
    I've had it for the last year (and UPC for several years before that) and imho it beats the tits off even the 150Mbps UPC.

I get rock solid 100Mbps down and 10 up 24/7 and pings to Dublin servers of 5ms day or night. Never had a single connection drop or even so much as a hiccup in the whole year either.

the thing is with it, is that it's uncontended FTTH (fibre to the home), so even though the top speed on UPC might be faster in theory, the ultra low latency and consistent speeds just can't be beaten and you'll see the difference in everything from online gaming to torrenting or just browsing the net (or all 3 at once!)

And to think I was worried that it would be a downgrade from UPC! :D

Magnet consistently win independent speed tests rewards for their lines.

The unfortunate part for people like me, is they are not on Magnets network which is tiny, instead working of Eircoms lines.

All the bad reviews you hear are people who can only get the re-seller package on Eircom lines, Magnets actual lines, are the best in the country .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I wish I could get that... Instead I'm still waiting for Sky to launch their fibre broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ergoviewing

Thanks for the help. It appears that all the reviews are pretty good. Not interested in UPC TV so happy to go with this. Yeah once it's direct FTTH it should be pretty good. I assume there are no throttling limits or anything. Gonna be using it for Netflix and other streaming services and work so seems I should go ahead with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

No, totally unlimited as far as I can tell, and I'm a pretty heavy torrenter. :)

Not sure what hardware they are supplying these days, but I just have a fibre switch under the stairs with 10 Ethernet ports and the fibre connection. I believe 5 are for tv points and 5 are direct internet access. Not sure if this is standard though, as I'm in a big house where that would be well used. Don't know if you'd get the same in a smaller gaff.

Oddly enough, all my neighbours have the same set up with no router installed by default, so if I connect directly to the switch, I can see those neighbours who are also directly connected. :)

I just connected my own router to one of the Ethernet sockets on the switch and everything else is plugged into that so I'm grand.

I don't know if it's a static IP or not but, it hasn't changed since I moved in last December, so it's not very dynamic so far! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ergoviewing

vibe666 wrote: »
    No, totally unlimited as far as I can tell, and I'm a pretty heavy torrenter. :)

Not sure what hardware they are supplying these days, but I just have a fibre switch under the stairs with 10 Ethernet ports and the fibre connection. I believe 5 are for tv points and 5 are direct internet access. Not sure if this is standard though, as I'm in a big house where that would be well used. Don't know if you'd get the same in a smaller gaff.

Oddly enough, all my neighbours have the same set up with no router installed by default, so if I connect directly to the switch, I can see those neighbours who are also directly connected. :)

I just connected my own router to one of the Ethernet sockets on the switch and everything else is plugged into that so I'm grand.

I don't know if it's a static IP or not but, it hasn't changed since I moved in last December, so it's not very dynamic so far! :D

Cheers man thanks for that sounds like i should just go this route

Advertisement