Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Really in need of help choosing moisturiser for my skin type!

• 26-10-2013 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'd really appreciate some help with this one ... My skin is driving me mad!
    Over the past few weeks I've just had quite a few little spots all over my face and neck. Basically I would have always described my skin as normal to combination. But it seems to have changed lately and I have some oily parts now... But I'm still not sure I'd call it oily either as I get dry bits too :-(
    It's driving me mad because I really need a moisturiser that's gonna help me and I can't find the right one!!

Basically.... My t zone can get a little oily but at the same time the skin on my nose around my nostrils can be a little flaky.
    I've tried different moisturisers and none suited me .... So far I've tried Clinique dramatically different moisturising lotion for dry skin but this jus left my skin feeling way to wet/oily! I also tried the gel version which is for oily skin but that left my skin quite dry. I then tried the la Roche posey hydra phase legre but that didn't seem to soak in properly either and also left my skin feeling a little oily.

Has anyone any other suggestions for me?? I really just want to find a perfect moisturiser that can magically moisturise my dry bits but can eliminate my oily bits without making my skin more oily and shiny.... Is this too much to ask for?!?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

Kiehls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I have the same skin as you OP, and found this Estee Lauder cream amazing, it mattifies my skin so it doesn't look oily/shiny and also my chin and nose don't get as oily as they used to. It's expensive but a little goes a long way. I got it in may and its just under half full.

I use it during the day time

http://www.boots.ie/en/Estee-Lauder-Hydrationist-Maximum-Moisture-Creme-for-Normal-Combination-Skin-50ml_1042745/

And at night time I use this Neutrogena cream, its much thicker (hence why I use it at night) but it leaves my skin super soft and really helps those dry patches I find.

http://www.boots.ie/en/Neutrogena-Visibly-Clear-Oil-Free-Moisturiser-50ml_11630/

Also that Neutrogena cream is €6 in store so I dunno why its showing as €7 online.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

Thanks for that detailed reply! I'm really intrigued by the Estée Lauder one. I like the idea of the neutropenia one but I find thicker richer dreams sometimes clog my poors up a bit,.. Do you find this with this one??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Is it possible the skin around your nose isn't dry and is actually dehydrated ?

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Is it possible the skin around your nose isn't dry and is actually dehydrated ?

Gosh at the risk of sounding like an idiot but what's the difference? Do you mean perhaps not drinking enough water? If so I guess that might be a reason... I probably don't drink enough water every day but at the same time I do think I drink enough most days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

augusta24 wrote: »
    Thanks for that detailed reply! I'm really intrigued by the Estée Lauder one. I like the idea of the neutropenia one but I find thicker richer dreams sometimes clog my poors up a bit,.. Do you find this with this one??
    I don't find that with the Neutrogena cream at all and I've been using it for a few years at this stage, but you could try maybe just applying it to the dry patches and nowhere else and see if that'd make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭quinevere

Think it would be best to get a skin analysis done by Vichy? The dryness could be caused by overuse of drying cleanser eg clearsil. Some like it could be you need Vichy normaderm

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭karareilly

e45 cream is the best, and there facial scrub too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Dehydrated is lacking moisture
    Dry is lacking oil.

So basically you can't have both oily and dry on the one spot if that makes sense.

If your skin isn't overly oily I would recommend a moisturiser for normal to combination skin.

I've got dehydrated skin too myself, (made worse by drinking like a fish, air conditioning/central heating and harsh products) and found the serum and hydralife/hydraaction (cant remember what the newest name of the range is, its either one of those) moisturiser from Dior. It's absolutely excellent, however very pricey.

I'm very picky with products that go on my skin, however, moneys tight lately do I've been trying those garnier moisturisers, the ones for each different skin tone, and I LOVE them. I alternate between the pale pink tube (very thick but found it great to help with my dehydrated skin) and the lemon tube which is lighter and my skin eats it up so am not left with what feels like overly oily skin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Your skin definitely sounds dehydrated. It can become oily from this too. I'd recommend a facial oil in the evening times, Clarins and Decleor do some very good ones.Avoid fomaing cleansers, stick to creams or balms. Look out for products with hydraluronic acid. e.g. Hydraluron from Indeed Labs. Mask a few times a week too- I find this makes a big difference. I currently use Creme Fraiche by Nuxe, Le Roche Posay do some very good masks too. If I'm treating my skin I will double cleanse with a balm cleanser (Clinique one) will leave a mask on for an hour, use an oil, serum, hydraluron and then moisturiser.

Advertisement