Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrading to 5s-- Too expensive

• 26-10-2013 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Had a 4s 64gb. travel a lot and used over 50gb of memory on the phone.

Went to vodafone yesterday to upgrade my phone. Asked for the 64gb slate model on their 35 a month red option, pretty much the same as I go 2 years ago. However this time the phone was 399 euros instead of 220.

The guy in vodafone said I should get the 16gb model which is cheaper. OK I could afford the 399, but it would be the biggest amount I ever paid for a phone on contract. I suppose the annoying part is that you can't expand the memory on the phone.

Then the guy showed me a samsung. Never had or used one before. It was a live demo so I played around with the features, bit large Note 3. He said with a card I could get 128gb, half the price.

has anyone else moved from Apple to Samsung? I have had an iphone for last 5 years and served me well.

lastly what really pi@@ed me off yesterday is that not only would I need to pay 399 euros for a phone, But that I also needed to wait 3-4 weeks to get it... I am the consumer, I nearly feel I have to beg at apple and pay for it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Just sell your 4s, no? You'd get over €300 for it if it's in good nick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 apple5s

brophs wrote: »
    Just sell your 4s, no? You'd get over €300 for it if it's in good nick.

My daughter wants it. So I won't be selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Not really sure what your issue is with it, tbh. You're buying a top-of-the-line phone, within a day or two of release, on a contract that's pretty small in terms of monthly bills. I could understand if you were on a massive unlimited plan or something. It just sounds to me that the €220 you previously paid was much too low and the new price is closer to the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Yeah If you went onto the Red 55 plan you would get the phone around the 220 mark. its 99 for the 16gb on that plan.

personally wouldnt see the merit in having that much memory. dropbox etc does it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 apple5s

brophs wrote: »
    Not really sure what your issue is with it, tbh. You're buying a top-of-the-line phone, within a day or two of release, on a contract that's pretty small in terms of monthly bills. I could understand if you were on a massive unlimited plan or something. It just sounds to me that the €220 you previously paid was much too low and the new price is closer to the mark.

fare point. To be honest I would have paid the 399 euros yesterday for the 64gb phone, IF they had one (i went to 2 vodafone stores)

I think its a top end phone, but when they gave me the samsung note3 to play around with, got me thinking. I do a lot of hiking in europe and with the iphone I used to bring a backup power cell, They said with samsung I just but a battery for 30 euros. Also the note gives you 2-3 days usage with one charge. Actually I was quiet impressed with the features the note had that Apple does not.

Getting a test model to play around with for a week, then I will make up my mind to buy the note3 or wait for the 5s.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

I can imagine the 399 was probably a bit of a shock alright, but then again when you think about it it is for 64GB 5s and you are on a €35 a month plan so the price does seem about right.

But the Note 3 is also a great phone, so if you decided to go with that you most likely won't be disappointed either, so I reckon you'll be happy with either phone, just note you'll take a bit to get used to Android after having iOS for so long :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

El Inho wrote: »
    Yeah If you went onto the Red 55 plan you would get the phone around the 220 mark. its 99 for the 16gb on that plan.

personally wouldnt see the merit in having that much memory. dropbox etc does it all.

Good luck uploading large files to Dropbox over poor hotel wifi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Agree with other poster regarding cheap plan/most expensive iPhone model, do you realise what it would cost you sim free (direct from apple)? As for non in stock, I was in one VF store today and rang another (both Dublin) but they had plenty in stock of the 64gb model, all colours as well (non of the 16/32gb variety).
    If you want to change away from apple keep in mind what you lose regarding photostream, AirPlay, iCloud and other things setup for iOS...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

That is a huge outlay alright. I went from a 5 to an S4 about 2 months ago and love the S4. Had a live demo last week in work of the Note 3, it's by far the most impressive phone I've ever seen. 2.3 GHz quad core and 3GB ram, the thing is an absolute powerhouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

flyguy wrote: »
    I was in one VF store today and rang another (both Dublin) but they had plenty in stock of the 64gb model, all colours as well (non of the 16/32gb variety).

Which stores were these exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Nutgrove had at least 2 (gold&silver) and Dundrum have a few in all colours. Like I said 64gb models only.

Advertisement